Winter 2022-2023 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

37 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

Here in the Plains that GFS run was one of the rare ones where using Kuchera will overestimate snow. Of course 10-1 will way underestimate as well. That's where the WPC curve truly shines.

How do you feel about WPC's Collaborative Forecast Process for QPF/SLRs? 

• Meteorologist
20 minutes ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

How do you feel about WPC's Collaborative Forecast Process for QPF/SLRs? 

When I get home tonight I'll send a private message. I'd like to keep those thoughts private. 

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Meteorologist

Unfortunately I do think the GFS is probably correct, might be on the cold side, but I do think this pattern has potential if the Pacific behaves. The GFS is really good at sniffing this pattern out with this particular setup. It nailed February 2021 in the Plains for example.

• LIKE 2

1 hour ago, 1816 said:

Sorry guys you must not have heard. Those temps are not possible. It does not get cold in December anymore. So disregard. 

Read back a few pages. 

It still has to actually happen

2 hours ago, SOMOSnow said:

18z GFS drops the 🔨

Day 6 to 16, 9 to 16 and 11 to 16 👇

Screenshot_20221207_173437_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20221207_173452_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20221207_173503_Samsung Internet.jpg

That's a very cold ensemble mean for days 11-16. We better hope that's overdone or wacky. Cold signals usually get stronger as they get closer. Pretty unusual that far out.

Usually weak signal because of lack of ensemble agreement that far out. That is at least indicative of strong agreement...which means nothing the last couple of weeks. 

• LIKE 1

Just now, Grace said:

That's a very cold ensemble mean for days 11-16. We better hope that's overdone or wacky. Cold signals usually get stronger as they get closer. Pretty unusual that far out.

Usually weak signal because of lack of ensemble agreement that far out. That is at least indicative of strong agreement...which means nothing the last couple of weeks. 

That is the Operational GFS, unless that you are also referring to the GEFS as well. 

• LIKE 1

2 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

That is the Operational GFS, unless that you are also referring to the GEFS as well. 

Oh...I'm about blind I think lol. That makes sense. I wasn't sure I've ever seen a ensemble mean that cold over 6 days in the LR. Kind of glad it was OP. Kind of made me a little alarmed & perplexed.

• LAUGH 1

1 hour ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Classic JB hype-train. Probably jinx it being too bold & ready to say "we predicted it back in June in our SST analog package"😐

He's still like a little kid though which is kind of refreshing...creepy, annoying, but refreshing. 

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 2

• Meteorologist
6 minutes ago, Grace said:

Oh...I'm about blind I think lol. That makes sense. I wasn't sure I've ever seen a ensemble mean that cold over 6 days in the LR. Kind of glad it was OP. Kind of made me a little alarmed & perplexed.

Still a very strong signal on the GEFS. I'm definitely concerned. 8 to 16 degrees C below normal on an ensemble is scary. 

1670466593220.gif

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 2