Winter 2022-2023 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

I can forgive a torchy first 2-3 weeks of December if I can get a cold/wintry final 1/3 of the month with a decent shot at a white Christmas. I've got my sights set on the potential stormy pattern emerging sometime during that 3rd week of December. Has anyone started our annual 'white Christmas' thread yet? (I'm too lazy to check right now, lol)

• LOVE 1

Regardless if you take EPS or GFS it's a good look unless you're east of Appalachian chain. With that said with a mean pattern centered more for west of Appalachians UT does not mean east coast will not have a window. 

I think the biggest overall take away is not blowtorch but coldest centered further west simar to DEC, 2013...not in anomalies but spacial...and not cold for the same reason as then. 

FWIW, the BSR is actually handling this quiet well. It busted in NOV cold but handling this well...for now. 

Edited by Grace
  • LIKE 1

3 minutes ago, Grace said:

Regardless if you take EPS or GFS it's a good look unless you're east of Appalachian chain. With that said with a mean pattern centered more for west of Appalachians UT does not mean east coast will not have a window. 

I think the biggest overall take away is not blowtorch but coldest centered further west simar to DEC, 2013...not in anomalies but spacial...and not cold for the same reason as then. 

FWIW, the BSR is actually handling this quiet well. It busted in NOV cold but handling this well...for now. 

Next week could be the turning point 

• THINKING 1

2 hours ago, HateWinterWarmth said:

The December bloodbath continues

Bloodbath? Quite a few places are below normal on temps so far this month. And 18z gefs has just gotten colder... again. Will post shortly with run to run temp change, a feature I forgot about until moments ago. 

• LIKE 1

I know we’ve heard this before but I do think the cold is coming. It’s going to be after mid month but it’s coming. A lot of times a colder air mass will move in with a bigger system that cuts the lakes and the cold then tracks in after in the east. I’m wondering if the system on the 14th-16th is going to be the system that ushers in the colder air as it seems all models have it cutting far NW. We will see.

• LIKE 1

1 hour ago, SNOWBOB11 said:

I know we’ve heard this before but I do think the cold is coming. It’s going to be after mid month but it’s coming. A lot of times a colder air mass will move in with a bigger system that cuts the lakes and the cold then tracks in after in the east. I’m wondering if the system on the 14th-16th is going to be the system that ushers in the colder air as it seems all models have it cutting far NW. We will see.

It's like a broken record every year. Winter starts off mild then the switch flips sometime after the holidays and we're in the cold until well into Spring. 

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
10 minutes ago, Grace said:

12z Euro stratosphere 

50mb

Screenshot_20221206-214128_Chrome.jpg.7644eff63a679c49fbb89e21be52060f.jpg

10mb

Screenshot_20221206-214156_Chrome.jpg.16576adb98d089f93d73ab36cd62233a.jpg

Experts say not a true SSW yet but will allow for continued high latitude blocking. That's got to be a positive. 

Nice yea not quite there yet but again maybe toward end of month as thought. It looks to be 100% pacific lead again.

• LIKE 2

46 minutes ago, Grace said:

12z Euro stratosphere 

50mb

Screenshot_20221206-214128_Chrome.jpg.7644eff63a679c49fbb89e21be52060f.jpg

10mb

Screenshot_20221206-214156_Chrome.jpg.16576adb98d089f93d73ab36cd62233a.jpg

Experts say not a true SSW yet but will allow for continued high latitude blocking. That's got to be a positive. 

0z GFS the same. Main vortex at 10 & 50mb over CONUS & Canada. 

• LIKE 1

1 minute ago, Ingyball said:

Glad I upgraded my coat this year. I'm ready for the brutal cold, well I hope I am lol. 

I dont "think" we'll see brutal. Canada will...but I'm just glad 500mb looking much better. 

Edited by Grace
  • LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
Just now, Grace said:

Who knows about brutal...but I'm just glad 500mb looking much better. 

Brutal is anything below 15 for me now. I've had to get used to the cold all over again since I spent 2.5 years in the deep south. Last year got cold but not as bad as it could have here. 

• LAUGH 1