Winter 2022-2023 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

Looking at the big picture, I agree with those saying that the week of 12th gives us a good shot at a 4-5 day cold spell with a chance of snow, but in the midwest and/or mid-atlantic but how it all plays out is still a bit murky. I'm just not buying a complete -NAO until January as everything seems to be a bit stuck cyclically. What that means is the next 5-10 days are mild, with a cold shot somewhere near the end of the 5-10 day range which lasts 3-4 days, and then we rinse and repeat. I'm also about say something very depressing, but pointed, if we can't get a -NAO regime to set up or a negative EPO set up, we're going to be chasing scraps this winter in the east. We're still in a La Nina though, so the pattern makes sense. 

A piece of good news though, the pacific northwest is getting absolutely hammered and their drought is being remedied. Hopefully we'll get more storms getting further south and obviously we need a ton more dropping heavy snow into Colorado (this is tough in a La Nina). The other thought is that I really like the next cold shot after the 13th-14th-ish to be right around Christmas give or take a couple of days. I do think there are areas of the midwest and northeast that have real hope for a white Christmas, but we just need to see how it plays out. 

1 hour ago, Psu1313 said:

Looking at the big picture, I agree with those saying that the week of 12th gives us a good shot at a 4-5 day cold spell with a chance of snow, but in the midwest and/or mid-atlantic but how it all plays out is still a bit murky. I'm just not buying a complete -NAO until January as everything seems to be a bit stuck cyclically. What that means is the next 5-10 days are mild, with a cold shot somewhere near the end of the 5-10 day range which lasts 3-4 days, and then we rinse and repeat. I'm also about say something very depressing, but pointed, if we can't get a -NAO regime to set up or a negative EPO set up, we're going to be chasing scraps this winter in the east. We're still in a La Nina though, so the pattern makes sense. 

A piece of good news though, the pacific northwest is getting absolutely hammered and their drought is being remedied. Hopefully we'll get more storms getting further south and obviously we need a ton more dropping heavy snow into Colorado (this is tough in a La Nina). The other thought is that I really like the next cold shot after the 13th-14th-ish to be right around Christmas give or take a couple of days. I do think there are areas of the midwest and northeast that have real hope for a white Christmas, but we just need to see how it plays out. 

What do you mean by complete -NAO, you mean un sustainability?

• LIKE 1

10 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

What do you mean by complete -NAO, you mean un sustainability?

Correct. We’ve been technically negative but between 1 and -1 is basically neutral so there have been few true strong blocking regimens. We are currently in one but the position of the Greenland high (east based nao) is really keeping the cold air too far west. I wish I was more adept at explaining my reasoning, but although we will squeeze cold air down, our PV looks like it is going to strengthen after our dump of cold mid month and squeeze off the cold air. So then we will have a +epo, a neutral or at least not terribly strong -so and what amounts to a neutral nao. That’s not a great recipe.

Maybe as the Greenland high slides west, it will open up more doors, but I’m really hoping an SSW really changes the playing field as it relates to the position of the blocking. 

• LIKE 2

1 hour ago, SOMOSnow said:

Food for thought....👇

There's no limit to how much cold he can forecast for his backyard, but anomalous cold at tropical latitudes on day 16 of the GFS is rant inducing 🙄

To think the scientists at NCEP are monitoring random twitter posts for tips to improve their models confirms that this guy is unhinged.

• THUMBS DOWN 1

• Meteorologist
3 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

The euro is catching on to what I have been watching for 

image.png

EFI is showing hints for this winter storm, looks like it could be wet for portions of Kansas and Oklahoma too. 

2 minutes ago, Mulaman984 said:

Call it what you will. He’s made a call and is actually one of the most level-headed forecasters for our region. 

I'm just saying he got fooled like the rest of us the last couple weeks so why put yourself through the potential for ridicule again that far out until things become clearer 

• THUMBS UP 1