Winter 2022-2023 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

• Meteorologist

No dice for the east coast. Thought we may see a secondary low form with that trough. GFS still crushes the Plains after that though. What we'll end up with is one big storm that ends up too far north and west for everyone xD 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh228-300.gif.73a03c68e148afdd6206b3d9208ded16.gif

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh294-384.gif.347cc8ba89f617e4632c964bd51b68be.gif

• Admin
1 minute ago, Ingyball said:

No dice for the east coast. Thought we may see a secondary low form with that trough. GFS still crushes the Plains after that though. What we'll end up with is one big storm that ends up too far north and west for everyone xD 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh228-300.gif.73a03c68e148afdd6206b3d9208ded16.gif

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh294-384.gif.347cc8ba89f617e4632c964bd51b68be.gif

Mt Washington always cashes in.

Screenshot_20221204-053701.png.7ef5732980fc8fded4a976ab06b22c30.png

• LAUGH 1

8 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Maybe the climate truly is changing. Decembers rarely get cold and snow anymore. 

I posted something similar the other day. Just from a shear observation standpoint, things are different. Things going cycle and I believe nature does as well. 

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
22 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Until it reaches the 6-10 day window, it's exactly what we just went through

The models were definitely too quick with the Greenland block developing but it's starting to setup now. Mid month definitely favors the western U.S and Plains though but I am confident that we will see cold in the east for the 2nd half of the month. It's going to take a couple of storms to push the warmth out and pull the cold down though. 

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 1

1 hour ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Until it reaches the 6-10 day window, it's exactly what we just went through

Hmmm ok. So why we bothering with this thread if we know it's gonna be bad by 6-10? Let's just forget it. Sorry for posting the 10 to 15 day range. My bad. 

57 minutes ago, SOMOSnow said:

Hmmm ok. So why we bothering with this thread if we know it's gonna be bad by 6-10? Let's just forget it. Sorry for posting the 10 to 15 day range. My bad. 

Relax. Lol.

All I said is we just went through it. I didn't say it was going to be bad by 6-10, chill man. You need to re read my post.

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45

Even I, the winter miser, tend to forget that December is a step down month. Usually by Christmas the overall pattern of ridging in the west sets up to where more sustained cold shots are more prevalent. I just don’t expect full blown winter before the 15th. 

Every year we go through this winter cancel, and it’s hard to look past the fact that with this year, much of the CONUS has been above average in terms of normal departures. 

add in the fact that most models are all over the place this year. And really… the snowpack in the Upper Midwest isn’t really all that impressive yet.

Edited by NWOhioChaser

• Social Media Crew
3 minutes ago, Pghsnow said:

Would this be a triple phaser on the Canadian.

gem_z500_vort_us_fh204-240.gif

GFS has something for the 14th as well.. not as well organized. But the GFS has been throwing widely dispersed darts 🎯

• LAUGH 2

5 minutes ago, Penn State said:

GFS has something for the 14th as well.. not as well organized. But the GFS has been throwing widely dispersed darts 🎯

Widely dispersed darts is a compliment.  More like throwing screwdrivers, axes, knives or whatever else it has at a 10x10 wall 

dartboard-darts.gif

• LIKE 1
  • WOW 1
  • LAUGH 4

22 hours ago, so_whats_happening said:

While we talk about the east coast pattern though the west is cashing in on some nice precip and mountain snows that is very much needed out that way. That is the most positive thing I take out of all this. Is the slow erosion within the central portions of the country for drought coming up and that the west coast is getting some nice snowfalls. I honestly hope it continues out that way for rain and snowfall they need it as unfortunate as it would be for our potential winter over here in the east. 

I am watching this closely.  The west needs this more than anything.  You have a trough out west all winter and it would only make a small dent in the dry pattern they have been enduring.

We are also dry here in Michigan, In my local I believe we are 10 inches short of our normal precip. this year.

Edited by Al_Czervik