Winter 2022-2023 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

• Meteorologist

6z GFS again completely demolishes the -NAO around the 12th. Maybe it is just mid range blues the GFS is having. We saw this earlier in the season with GFS and Euro. Euro picked up on the pattern while the GFS struggled around this time. I believe this was during the November cold outbreak across the country, I'd have to look back at it.

4 minutes ago, SOMOSnow said:

Posting these 5 days always seems to be a kiss of death for cold 

I guess at least IMBY, I'll take it. Seasonal temps are better than a blowtorch. It just sucks that it now takes a monumental block setup just to get temps down to normal levels in December. 

6 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

If this December that looked so promising turns into a torch that would truly suck. Lol

Yep...I was resigned to the fact that every December from now on would be a torch, but I was drawn back in by how good it looked, only to now be let down yet again. 

I dont think anyone is taking anything as gospel but if we were all getting exuberant over blocking 11-15 days out I don't see anything wrong with reigning expectations back in 6-10 days out. It's by no means any type of December cancel...it just more looks like par for the course for early December, which is fine but when we started with expections throwing around analogs from some of the best winters ever, some of the air gets let out of the balloon when a fly in the ointment appears, which in this case looks to be the lack of any western ridging

• THUMBS UP 1

2 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

I dont think anyone is taking anything as gospel but if we were all getting exuberant over blocking 11-15 days out I don't see anything wrong with reigning expectations back in 6-10 days out. It's by no means any type of December cancel...it just more looks like par for the course for early December, which is fine but when we started with expections throwing around analogs from some of the best winters ever, some of the air gets let out of the balloon when a fly in the ointment appears, which in this case looks to be the lack of any western ridging

1983, 1989, 1990, and 2009 also may have featured warmer early Decembers, then came the late month and it got nasty cold.

• LOVE 1

• Admin
14 hours ago, Grace said:

East Asia DEC 3-12 compared to its correlation to East U.S. DEC 9-18. Seoul S.Korea correlates with Paducah, Ky for reference purposes. 

gfs_z500a_ea_fh0-240.gif.5e69bf62bffe335626d1cb859ca7df84.gif

gfs_z500a_us_fh174-384.gif.891138925582d4914a834b2c586987b7.gif

🤔

Granted East Asia may not be modeled accurately but the period is much closer than its correlation to East U.S.

11th-14th seems interesting.  

• LIKE 2