Winter 2022-2023 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

• Admin

I still think the biggest concern is that Greenland ridge pushing back into Hudson Bay. If it squashes the Hudson Bay vortex, the EPO goes positive, perhaps strongly.  This doesn't totally cut off cold air, but it makes it harder for the PNA to go positive.  The blocking ridge is so large that it becomes a wave spacing issue.

You can see the wildly diverging model solutions because of the various blocking set ups the models are trying out.

I know it's my location that makes me focus on it, but a Hudson Bay vortex is so important for a few reasons.

• LOVE 2

2 hours ago, MaineJay said:

I still think the biggest concern is that Greenland ridge pushing back into Hudson Bay. If it squashes the Hudson Bay vortex, the EPO goes positive, perhaps strongly.  This doesn't totally cut off cold air, but it makes it harder for the PNA to go positive.  The blocking ridge is so large that it becomes a wave spacing issue.

You can see the wildly diverging model solutions because of the various blocking set ups the models are trying out.

I know it's my location that makes me focus on it, but a Hudson Bay vortex is so important for a few reasons.

There never going to be a weather pattern that doesn't have a way to ruin it. With that said this is definitely setting up to be one of the best opportunities for a great December the Mid-Atlantic/ NE have had im quite some time. Now we wait and see how it sets up.

• THUMBS UP 2

16 minutes ago, HateWinterWarmth said:

A Midwestern Met that I follow agrees:

https://www.tswails.com/single-post/a-short-reprieve

When warm signals and cold signals battle it out, the warmth is almost always going to win out, especially in December. 

That's a pretty broad statement that I wouldn't agree with. Cold often squashes/ crushes. 

5 minutes ago, HVSNOWSTORM said:

That's a pretty broad statement that I wouldn't agree with. Cold often squashes/ crushes. 

Not in December. There's too much leftover warmth in the atmosphere, so things have to align perfectly to get any sustained cold. 

21 minutes ago, HateWinterWarmth said:

Not in December. There's too much leftover warmth in the atmosphere, so things have to align perfectly to get any sustained cold. 

Every year is different, this year has the -AO, last year had the crazy +AO.

It seems like that this year, the cold is more favored to win out against the heat, we have a strong NHEM snowpack.

• LOVE 1

2 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

Every year is different, this year has the -AO, last year had the crazy +AO.

It seems like that this year, the cold is more favored to win out against the heat, we have a strong NHEM snowpack.

The MJO is working against the AO though and it seems to be winning the battle

• Meteorologist
6 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

I am least familiar with EPO vs. the big 3 (AO/NAO/PNA) so here is the jist

image.png.dd62253ad453809bc1ada0bdeb889d9a.png

image.png.9a765371c58aeeb12ab95c7f8f38e5c1.png

The position of the ridge is what is important for the EPO, too far west and you get a -PNA setup. For the central U.S I like to see that ridge axis set up essentially where the graphic has it. For the  East Coast however you want to see it a bit further east right on the West Coast really. 

• LIKE 3
  • LOVE 1

17 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Models align on NAO/AO but this is where the help is needed to get rid of all the flat suppressed waves currently being shown. Need to get through that first full week of Dec

image.png.a38881d384d52cf90f012f7a8e335d76.png

I'm going to use this opportunity to just say that something suppressed for most can be right on target for others. We're the silent minority, but still. 

Carry on. 

• LAUGH 1

5 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

The MJO has just gotten into Phase 8 and is expected to be in the 'null' for a while after that.

The forecast I saw has it going through 4, 5, and 6 during Dec week 2, counteracting the effects of the NAO and AO. 

48 minutes ago, 1816 said:

I'm going to use this opportunity to just say that something suppressed for most can be right on target for others. We're the silent minority, but still. 

Carry on. 

haha fair enough, didn't realize you were way down yonder in VA 😄 

28 minutes ago, HateWinterWarmth said:

The forecast I saw has it going through 4, 5, and 6 during Dec week 2, counteracting the effects of the NAO and AO. 

The only forecasts that features it is the BoM and the GMON that is slightly delayed.

Edited by Iceresistance