Winter 2022-2023 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

Seeing some nice early changes on the GFS.  But looks to be running slow on Pivotal, and has come to a halt on Tidbits. I think this is the first run of the "upgrade" GFS?

Edited by Pghsnow
  • LIKE 3

27 minutes ago, 1816 said:

That's not really showing up anywhere. The data being crunched by the models is right there for all to see. 

Side note:

Screenshot_20221130-105639_Chrome.jpg.8517ec13aa54c7eba4c37707d5c63da1.jpgScreenshot_20221130-105644_Chrome.jpg.8de7da60300bb7640bbcb72a11aeac6d.jpgScreenshot_20221130-105630_Chrome.jpg.4ad28466d852ee1e1341cbd5930e7e17.jpg

OUCH...calling me out! I'll gladly eat all of those words if any of this comes to fruition! 

11 minutes ago, Pghsnow said:

Seeing some nice early changes on the GFS.  But looks to be running slow on Pivotal, and has come to a halt on Tidbits. I think this is the first run of the "upgrade" GFS?

Yes the upgrade was today. I was told the biggest difference would be on precip amounts. The newer model has a greater ability to determine snowfall amounts as well as what I've heard. Just higher resolution

Edited by Grace
  • LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

• Admin

With such a strong temp gradient forecast across the country, there's tons of room to bust either way, especially as the expected block actually sets up.  Blocky generally means amplified, so things could go either way. Seems like cold will be easier to tap out west, but it's right there for the taking for any ambitious shortwaves.

So are there some warm risks? I'd say absolutely especially the further east one goes, but there's at least equal to or perhaps even slightly greater cold risks in reality.  If even from a statistical standpoint.

About December temps, so much has to do with snow cover.  I'd guess that December has perhaps the greatest variability with regards to snow cover, this leading to additional warm potentially in areas with no snow, and vice versa for places that can establish a snow pack.  Just think how much colder a clear night with even a little snow is early in the season.

As others have noted, it would be nice to have a trackable threat, but they will come. Patience and managing expectations might be the hardest part of winter.

gfs_T850a_us_26.png.09ef510c9408df1ac8351ef636482425.png

• LIKE 1

• Admin
15 minutes ago, Grace said:

Yes the upgrade was today. I was told the biggest difference would be on precip amounts. The newer model has a greater ability to determine snowfall amounts as well as what I've heard. Just higher resolution

Are they "building in" snowfall into the model. I could be wrong, but I thought much of the snowfall forecasts were inferred from temp and qpf data by the various sites that offer model graphics.

For example, I understand that the icon (despite it's deficiencies) has SLR "baked" into it's model.

8 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

Are they "building in" snowfall into the model. I could be wrong, but I thought much of the snowfall forecasts were inferred from temp and qpf data by the various sites that offer model graphics.

For example, I understand that the icon (despite it's deficiencies) has SLR "baked" into it's model.

From a MET

Screenshot_20221130-111551_Chrome.jpg.5b795a7b6ade0bacf2e9334c5192241d.jpg

Also says some type of upgrade on EPS as well.

Screenshot_20221130-111748_Chrome.jpg.67c2c9e1fdc71ed2de606fcff8f34b02.jpg

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1

Am  I the only one wondering right now if the magnitude of this -nao is related to the eruption?

I read all the stuff about what went on in the s hemisphere and the speculation about possible effects for the n hemisphere. But when you see something modeled that is so extreme, doesn't it start ringing bells for you?

Maybe there's going to be some more surprising developments in store. Hopefully good ones. 

• LIKE 3

5 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

Well, the link to WxDisco is now dead.

But can Y'all try to mostly on topic for this winter? December Cold has the Highest Potential since the 1980s.

The other site is still around, it's just that the link is now community.wxdisco.com. 

Anyway though back to December, I just hope here in Pittsburgh at least this doesn't end up like a scenario such as 1989 or 2010 where snowfall was only at or slightly above normal despite the constant cold, because the push was just too strong for big storms.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Meteorologist

I'd love that winter storm on the 12z Canadian. About a half an inch of sleet with 3 inches of snow on top. I usually don't like sleet on it's own (bad memories from December 2013) but with snow it can be a lot of fun. 

Edited by Ingyball
  • LIKE 3

33 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

I'd love that winter storm on the 12z Canadian. About a half an inch of sleet with 3 inches of snow on top. I usually don't like sleet on it's own (bad memories from December 2013) but with snow it can be a lot of fun. 

December 2013 was a bit scary, I literally had to run away from an Ice Storm to Missouri!

Models look really weird with the handling of upcoming systems and different waves. This isn’t that surprising as we usually do see them struggle when there’s a pattern change. I think in these pattern change situations the euro often does best with handling storms so I’d be more inclined to watch it than the run to run craziness of the GFS.

• LIKE 1