Winter 2022-2023 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

6 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

6 hours ago, Bradjl2009 said:

There is some very cold air building to the north. Just a matter of waiting for when it will spill south enough to impact the more populated parts of the US.

7 hours ago, Grace said:

That block! 😆  I mean, I'm not sure I've seen a block like that since 2010-11. The block impressively is all the way up at 10mb in the stratosphere. 

Screenshot_20221127-194408_Chrome.jpg.6c2a03900c0eed5d0815f6c02313444b.jpg

Shared this to the other weather forum, holy moly!

• LIKE 1

• Admin
5 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

I wonder why the operational models are not as cold as the means🤔

Seems weird 

It that big block retrogrades too far west, the Hudson Bay vortex (associated with a -EPO) gets pushed west also. I believe this leaves the door open for some Pacific air, and for the cold to dump further west, and bleed east.

I feel like a ridge centered more towards Iceland would be more effective for cold east of the Mississippi.

Selfishly, I'm taking advantage of the benign weather we've been experiencing up here to finish outdoor jobs.

a754ea36-2d5f-4c33-b867-6b973bc332b7.gif.1ad7d43b3359d0d2a2ad48c44bf8dbe4.gif

1 hour ago, MaineJay said:

It that big block retrogrades too far west, the Hudson Bay vortex (associated with a -EPO) gets pushed west also. I believe this leaves the door open for some Pacific air, and for the cold to dump further west, and bleed east.

I feel like a ridge centered more towards Iceland would be more effective for cold east of the Mississippi.

Selfishly, I'm taking advantage of the benign weather we've been experiencing up here to finish outdoor jobs.

If that might be the case, then I may get dumped on!

9 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

It appears that the MJO might be slowing down in Phase 7.

So what are the ramifications of that, given all of the other factors being discussed currently? 

3 hours ago, MaineJay said:

This would explain why things are still being bottled up in the upper MW and PAC NW

Days 6-10 on the GEFS

image.png.07b56e3c2626dc46a56cdcb776a4c1df.png

the problem is we've had several La Nina winters the last decade where the predominant cold stays bottled up in the PAC NW and upper MW, and only moderated cool shots make there way east leaving a "thread the needle scenario" needed for snow. Too early to call either way, but I'm pretty cautious here for now 

December's often carry that "waiting on the dam to break" mentality, but sometimes it never does, or at least it doesnt stay broken (hence the moderated cold shots)

image.png.d46cbec3c38c1c8164b5ce42c036e7fa.png

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45
  • THUMBS UP 2

32 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

the problem is we've had several La Nina winters the last decade where the predominant cold stays bottled up in the PAC NW and upper MW, and only moderated cool shots make there way east leaving a "thread the needle scenario" needed for snow. Too early to call either way, but I'm pretty cautious here for now 

December's often carry that "waiting on the dam to break" mentality, but sometimes it never does, or at least it doesnt stay broken (hence the moderated cold shots)

Only to unleash the floodgates in February!

1 hour ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

If you look at every La Nina DEC the last decade only 2017 had much blocking & ended up below normal. 

Screenshot_20221128-105804_Chrome.jpg.189ea25f1c01e1cb47734d4292f4f838.jpg

Screenshot_20221128-105832_Chrome.jpg.1fdb822387b032083775389910f335bc.jpg

Certainly, I don't think we have as much out west as that DEC but a lot more in the AO/NAO regions. 

There's a lot more going for this DEC MJO wise as well. Plus east based La Nina normally produce -NAO & less ridging. 

• LIKE 3

19 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

haha just minor differences between the LR 00z and 12z GFS 😄 

Looks great but I have zero trust in any model right now. The run to run variability is driving me ape. 

Edited by Grace
  • LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 2

I’ve just come the conclusion that Christmas to new years flips it to winter and we don’t have full true spring til almost Mother’s Day with warmth mixed in with cold through most of April everything is delayed and remains delayed every year with climate change. Spring and fall don’t happen as long as they used to spring is super short falls leans into December now 

Edited by Hassaywx1223
  • THUMBS UP 1

15 minutes ago, Hassaywx1223 said:

I’ve just come the conclusion that Christmas to new years flips it to winter and we don’t have full true spring til almost Mother’s Day with warmth mixed in with cold through most of April everything is delayed and remains delayed every year with climate change. Spring and fall don’t happen as long as they used to spring is super short falls leans into December now 

This is definitely the case...I propose the following new season cadence, with a 5th season added in:

Summer - July 1 - October 15

Fall - October 15 - December 31

Winter - Jan 1 - Mar 1

Sprinter - March 1 - May 1

Spring - May 1 - July 1

22 minutes ago, HateWinterWarmth said:

This is definitely the case...I propose the following new season cadence, with a 5th season added in:

Summer - July 1 - October 15

Fall - October 15 - December 31

Winter - Jan 1 - Mar 1

Sprinter - March 1 - May 1

Spring - May 1 - July 1

For me, some years is a instant Summer to Winter and vice versa!