Winter 2022-2023 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

1 hour ago, Ingyball said:

I think models are too shallow with the system next week based on the teleconnection forecast. The PNA will start trending negative the next couple of days along with the AO while the NAO trends positive. That suggests there should be enough blocking to slow the pattern down and force the trough to dig. SPC already has a rare day 5 30% and I think they're hitting it right on the head right now. Would not be surprised to see a winter storm in either Nebraska or Kansas, which would shift the following storm track south.

We are on the same page

• THUMBS UP 1

12z GEFS 👀

Screenshot_20221125-114001_Chrome.jpg.14b1d8c3fc164b474c3c8d3d931b8f37.jpg

The block has some staying power. Over time it will be more entrenced over Greenland. These are the kind of blocks that just only allow short warmups out in front of systems. Really keeps cold air from modifying over time. 

Oh yea...and then there's this:

gfs_Tz10_nhem_fh-72-384.gif.06f3cf2ef54490c368622c7ac65d744e.gif

• SHOCKED 1
  • WOW 1
  • LOVE 1

For those keeping score on CFS monthly predictions. It certainly was too steamy east. Even with some warmth out ahead on Tuesday system it will not be enough to make up the difference.

Screenshot_20221126-093915_Gallery.jpg.8c99248e4cc6004ce2ff30cff3796718.jpg

Screenshot_20221126-093835_Chrome.jpg.796079c4c89b5ad200757a099120b70e.jpg

Overall it's not all that terrible; however, in the U.S. if you live east of Rockies its a big miss. 

• Meteorologist

I like to see that this is now within 240 hrs. Still have things to work out of course but it looks as though this will most definitely weaken the SPV. Im not sure a split will come about just yet but maybe toward the end of the month especially if we get the ridging toward mid December over northern Europe.

Everything so far seems to be on track for after the first week of December for things to flip a switch. -NAO develops, better look of a -EPO, Urals ridging leading to SPV disturbances. I wanna say we need to watch for the jet extension out in the Pacific. This usually buckles over time creating a ridge and undercutting trough along the west coast, aka split flow pattern. This may take a bit to fully be realized versus the -NAO which has been in the works for some time. This may not buckle until close to mid month but we can still manage wintry weather across the country without the full on -EPO and the almost never present +PNA, the one true thing we have been missing most of the late fall so far.

Im looking around the second week of December for some fun along the east coast as the ridging suppresses probably not a big storm rather overrunning events as the -PNA is still present. 

gfs_Tz10_nhem_21.png

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 1

18 hours ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

Based on GEFS but the EPS is similar too so there seems to be a signal for a big OHV storm around Dec 4-7 that pulls down some wintry chill for the second week of the month. 

Screenshot 2022-11-26 17.01.48.png

I'll take it, but the ohv is probably not as excited about thunderstorms...

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh180-240.gif.100e0a9396b9f90ad3c64314d3b95ab0.gif

• LIKE 1

I think after the first week of December we will see the cold move into the east. If we can get the cold to come in before one of the systems that are showing up moves in then maybe we can start the cold with snow on the ground in some areas.

31 minutes ago, SNOWBOB11 said:

I think after the first week of December we will see the cold move into the east. If we can get the cold to come in before one of the systems that are showing up moves in then maybe we can start the cold with snow on the ground in some areas.

The newest running of the GFS sure seems to have agreed with your thoughts.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

32 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

This could really  get crazy if these solutions verify image.png.2dfec2e93599485243255ef847b9647f.png

That block! 😆  I mean, I'm not sure I've seen a block like that since 2010-11. The block impressively is all the way up at 10mb in the stratosphere. 

Screenshot_20221127-194408_Chrome.jpg.6c2a03900c0eed5d0815f6c02313444b.jpg

Edited by Grace
  • SHOCKED 1
  • LOVE 1

11 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Can't wait to see this start hitting operational models consistently. After our brief November winter tease the subsequent (what will be) 3 weeks have been meh

I remember last weekend, Greg Postel on the Weather Channel saying it could be up until mid December before things got interesting again in the east. It hopefully won't take that long, but it definitely looks like it will take until at least December 6th or 7th.

Edited by Bradjl2009