Winter 2022-2023 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

18 hours ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Seems to be a little hope on the horizon near the end of the GEFS/GEPS runs for the Ohio Valley/GLs

Makes sense...

Had a window of winter during the latter half of December...then a January thaw

Had a window of winter during the latter part of January/early Feb...and now we'll be heading into a thaw

If the pattern continues to repeat, I'd expect the latter half of Feb. & maybe early March to give us some winter weather...before maybe giving way to an early arrival to spring (for once)

yeah I feel way less negative on this upcoming pattern than I did the early January one, I see the same things as you, potential fun times around here mid-late Feb again

• TROPHY 1

On 2/1/2023 at 1:36 PM, StLweatherjunkie said:

Seems like we're on our way back to the warm eastern CONUS GLC pattern we saw in January. EPS suggests a cutter Feb 8-10, possible east coast system Feb 11-13, then endless GLCs for the 3rd week of the month. 

image.thumb.gif.589107fe1d254be9ac81b39569d20f57.gifimage.thumb.gif.8abf4ef0b04bfb5434677f44b599ee9c.gif

The Feb 16-18 time frame looks like fun for the upper great lakes. A ~980 mb low near lower Michigan ... yes please!image.thumb.png.f32d8c554a6b615592cfe0ad35769469.png

On 2/2/2023 at 3:52 PM, MesoscaleBanding said:

Seems to be a little hope on the horizon near the end of the GEFS/GEPS runs for the Ohio Valley/GLs

Makes sense...

Had a window of winter during the latter half of December...then a January thaw

Had a window of winter during the latter part of January/early Feb...and now we'll be heading into a thaw

If the pattern continues to repeat, I'd expect the latter half of Feb. & maybe early March to give us some winter weather...before maybe giving way to an early arrival to spring (for once)

My biggest winter storms this season were on October 17-19 and December 22-24. I fully expect at least one more major storm UP here during the Feb 17-24 time frame. Perhaps April too?

Roughly the 3rd (October and November) or 4th (September and December) week of each month had been the most winter UP here. January broke the mold without any cold weather until the 5th week. I'm not really sure what to make of January, but I tend to believe the 3rd week of February is going to be favorable for my area. 

Edited by StLweatherjunkie

55 minutes ago, 1816 said:

Hey. I just wanted to pop in here and say this winter has sucked and I hope we never see another one like it again. Thanks and bye. 

It's unfortunate being in a spot that benefits from a pattern that is crap for most on this forum.

Hopefully next year is better for the eastern half, but we all know the west needs water and they get it at the expense of your winter

• THUMBS UP 1

3 hours ago, RobB said:

I'll probably give the NAEFS post a break until I see some decent changes.  LOL

Summarization of the NAEFS for anyone east of the Mississippi (except for an occasional stretch of days)

bob-ross-painting.gif.1df432cb74effb44e2e447cc6b880cce.gif

Edited by NKYSnowLover
  • LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 5

10 hours ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

It's unfortunate being in a spot that benefits from a pattern that is crap for most on this forum.

Hopefully next year is better for the eastern half, but we all know the west needs water and they get it at the expense of your winter

The bad new is we need probably ten years of this winter to fully replenish water reservoirs out west.  I think the Great Salt Lake is a good example of how dire the situation is.

• LOVE 1

12 hours ago, NKYSnowLover said:

Summarization of the NAEFS for anyone east of the Mississippi (except for an occasional stretch of days)

bob-ross-painting.gif.1df432cb74effb44e2e447cc6b880cce.gif

Possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen posted on here. Thanks for this. 

3 hours ago, Al_Czervik said:

The bad new is we need probably ten years of this winter to fully replenish water reservoirs out west.  I think the Great Salt Lake is a good example of how dire the situation is.

The good news, if there is any, is this year has been an unexpected win for the west. Going into the triple-dip La Nina, everyone expected a pretty dry winter for California, yet they are well above average to date. I'm hopeful that we head into a productive El Nino this year and maybe the year after if we can get a double dip? Although that wouldn't be great for skiers in the mid-atlantic, it wouldn't be a death knell either. The water issues are not ending any time soon, especially with the explosive population growth of the region and demands that are being placed on the Colorado River. If we can get 3 years of above average moisture in a row, at least a dent would start to be made, though who knows how long that dent would last. 

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 2

4 hours ago, Al_Czervik said:

The Great Salt Lake and other western reservoirs are extremely likely to rebound this spring/summer as snow melts, can you at least agree that's a good thing? Aren't you happy about Detroit having a comparatively warm winter?

59 minutes ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

The Great Salt Lake and other western reservoirs are extremely likely to rebound this spring/summer as snow melts, can you at least agree that's a good thing? Aren't you happy about Detroit having a comparatively warm winter?

Yes.  I am extremely happy about my winter so far and did not mean to come off as I was complaining.  I am even happier about the rain out west.  

Looks like we're making our full (very very fast) trek through phases 4-5-6 of the MJO the next 10 days. Then as we enter phases 7-8 we stall out, that's where I'll be waiting for another bout of winter. Crazy how fast we swing through 4-6

NCFS.png

EMON.png

GEFS_BC.png

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45