Winter 2022-2023 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

1 hour ago, HateWinterWarmth said:

Very surprised to see that much green on the map!

I'm not, but there's been lots of melting between snow events so it may seem like there's been less than there actually has

Edit: plus the highest concentration of people and snow weenies is on the east coast so there's been plenty of whining from out that way. 

Edited by StLweatherjunkie

17 minutes ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

I'll take it:

gfs_ref_frzn_us_39.png

See, people. This is all you need to understand. Why waste so much time lamenting lack of snow and lack of cold. Just move to upper peninsula of Michigan and all your problems will be solved. There or Maine, I guess.  

• THUMBS UP 2

17 minutes ago, 1816 said:

See, people. This is all you need to understand. Why waste so much time lamenting lack of snow and lack of cold. Just move to upper peninsula of Michigan and all your problems will be solved. There or Maine, I guess.  

They wouldn't last.  The lack of sun is really really hard here.

• LIKE 3

39 minutes ago, 1816 said:

It is difficult to describe how much extra time I have for other things now that I'm not feverishly refreshing model guidance. The large majority of precipitation during NDJFM is snow so it's not if snow falls but rather it's when and how much snow falls. Major quality of life boost for me and I imagine it would be for others on this forum with a similar affliction.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, Al_Czervik said:

They wouldn't last.  The lack of sun is really really hard here.

Fifth time I've seen blue sky this month. And it's only for a few hours before the next clouds come in.  

37 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Fifth time I've seen blue sky this month. And it's only for a few hours before the next clouds come in.  

If anyone really has a thing for mud, they can try Virginia. We have a lot. 

• DISAPPOINTED 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, 1816 said:

If anyone really has a thing for mud, they can try Virginia. We have a lot. 

Nah... if anything's good coming out of this winter is that it's telling me that winters in VA suck. 

Edited by StretchCT
  • THUMBS UP 1

2 hours ago, StretchCT said:

Nah... if anything's good coming out of this winter is that it's telling me that winters in VA suck. 

As someone with 28 years experience living in Virginia (around Richmond before moving to the Midwest), I can strongly confirm that winter will suck for those there at least 75% of the winter seasons no matter what the setup is. 

Virginia is NOT for winter lovers despite the welcome sign that says it's for lovers.

Edited by NKYSnowLover
  • LAUGH 1

• Meteorologist

This dry cold really sucks. Especially while on midnight shfits lol. I leave for my trip this weekend and I'll be gone for a while. Can't wait to be in a tropical climate for a little while. Looks like we may get into a wet pattern here while I'm gone, which would be good, we need it.

• LIKE 2

it seems like this winter the EPO has a substantially greater impact, on both ends

neutral positive AO/NAO 

EPO climbing up to near +2 and holding steady

PNA rising to neutral negative

GFS OP seems to be a mega outlier in every single one of them, shocker (although if correct, would turn this ship around in a hurry come mid FEB)

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45

12 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

will enjoy the sun this week because once we go back in to the disgusting 40s-50s....it will be loooonnnngggg gone and back to the dreary depressingness that comes with above average temps in winter

image.thumb.png.5b91428e1ca84ff46eb59f042a4df8e0.png

Also....not to call anyone out but last week did feature 3-4 winter storms for the GLs/OV/MW regions in different areas each time

and then this current week per the above some days are appreciably below average

So we actually did get that 2 week span of winter weather some on here were calling for, keeping in context just because it doesn't snow directly in your backyard, doesn't mean winter didn't make an appearance in general in the eastern conus

• LIKE 2
  • TROPHY 1

Winter looks to be about over. Sun angles, averages going up. Sunset getting longer and longer. You can only fight so long til above average starts becoming 50s for highs once you get there you’re almost to march and we all know with the right ingredients that could be it. Just my basic take. Most models are throwing the first two weeks of February out. After that you got to get lucky cause you have about 30-40 days to hit at best south of the great lakes unless you get a weird pattern or a night time snow dump. Untrained opinion but I’ve seen both sides of this and I feel like that’s seriously in the cards now 

Edited by Hassaywx1223
  • LIKE 2
  • THUMBS DOWN 1

17 minutes ago, Hassaywx1223 said:

Winter looks to be about over. Sun angles, averages going up. Sunset getting longer and longer. You can only fight so long til above average starts becoming 50s for highs once you get there you’re almost to march and we all know with the right ingredients that could be it. Just my basic take. Most models are throwing the first two weeks of February out. After that you got to get lucky cause you have about 30-40 days to hit at best south of the great lakes unless you get a weird pattern or a night time snow dump. Untrained opinion but I’ve seen both sides of this and I feel like that’s seriously in the cards now 

Agreed. Aside from a couple of quick cold bursts, this was the winter that never was. 

22 hours ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

It is difficult to describe how much extra time I have for other things now that I'm not feverishly refreshing model guidance. The large majority of precipitation during NDJFM is snow so it's not if snow falls but rather it's when and how much snow falls. Major quality of life boost for me and I imagine it would be for others on this forum with a similar affliction.

My job just made it official that I can work remotely 100% of the time. If it wasn't because my wife hates the cold/snow I'd be shopping for a house in Northern New England right now, at an elevation of 2000FT or above, that doesn't suffer from shadowing effects, etc. In other words a snow sweet spot. 

• LIKE 1