Winter 2022-2023 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

Seems like we had a two week window for winter in late December and now the same in late January into first week of February. Looks like the  MSP GLC train could resume. Stlweatherjunkie should resume padding snow stats by mid February 

• LIKE 1

On 1/28/2023 at 2:26 PM, StormfanaticInd said:

What a terrible winter. Let's hope we never repeat this

Not sure how old you are, but I can remember several winters like this and worse. Of course I am almost 45 so that helps too!

• THUMBS UP 1

10 minutes ago, beaver56 said:

Not sure how old you are, but I can remember several winters like this and worse. Of course I am almost 45 so that helps too!

I definitely have seen worse also.  I'm even older...54..LOL

1 minute ago, Wnwniner said:

Hey @RobB question on this-there is no legend for the white.  What does it mean?  Based on the legend, the entire map should be purple, blue, or red, right?  Why is there so much white?

A few of us think it may be the model not being able to paint confidently what the departures are to be.  Or it may be that it being borderline, it could go either way.  Not sure though.

2 minutes ago, RobB said:

A few of us think it may be the model not being able to paint confidently what the departures are to be.  Or it may be that it being borderline, it could go either way.  Not sure though.

So wouldn't that just be all purple, since thats supposed to be equal chances?  I guess I'm confused easily, which is why I work for the government 🙂

52 minutes ago, Wnwniner said:

Hey @RobB question on this-there is no legend for the white.  What does it mean?  Based on the legend, the entire map should be purple, blue, or red, right?  Why is there so much white?

49 minutes ago, RobB said:

Ta da 🙂

Screenshot_20230129_165111_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fa1c86c4ab9afc5f269e06768ede7ff7.jpg

In order for it to be colorized, one of the three categories (above, near normal or below) must have a 50%+ probability.

If let's say there is a 33% chance of below, a 33% chance of near normal and a 34% chance of above... Then that area would be white since no category meets the 50%+ threshold.

Edited by NKYSnowLover
  • THANKS 1
  • TROPHY 1

1 hour ago, NKYSnowLover said:

Ta da 🙂

Screenshot_20230129_165111_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fa1c86c4ab9afc5f269e06768ede7ff7.jpg

In order for it to be colorized, one of the three categories (above, near normal or below) must have a 50%+ probability.

If let's say there is a 33% chance of below, a 33% chance of near normal and a 34% chance of above... Then that area would be white since no category meets the 50%+ threshold.

Thanks! Glad I wasn't far off the mark 😊

• THUMBS UP 1

10 hours ago, Cary67 said:

Seems like we had a two week window for winter in late December and now the same in late January into first week of February. Looks like the  MSP GLC train could resume. Stlweatherjunkie should resume padding snow stats by mid February 

February 9-10 looks promising:

eps_lowlocs_us_fh264-300.thumb.gif.17cb655ab61e41eee38b7bec0e6fd6c9.gif

• LIKE 1

On 1/16/2023 at 4:14 PM, Grace said:

In my opinion, the next 2 weeks could go full blown sudden furious winter mode or absolute disappointment. Not much in between. 

We can now look back on the 2 week period referenced above and wonder, which camp did we fall into - winter’s fury or the ol’ busteroonie?

• LIKE 2

20 minutes ago, Wally Ho said:

We can now look back on the 2 week period referenced above and wonder, which camp did we fall into - winter’s fury or the ol’ busteroonie?

I had no expectations so I was not in either camp.  Have seen an all right amount of snow though no real staying power.  I've seen a few seasons with no appreciable snows so I can't complain.  Hell, I had two work snow days 🙂

• THUMBS UP 1

I am indifferent on what comes in the near future, but if it would get cold for a few days before spring it would be great.  I have some logs I need to get into a woods to get and cannot because is it so soupy.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, beaver56 said:

I am indifferent on what comes in the near future, but if it would get cold for a few days before spring it would be great.  I have some logs I need to get into a woods to get and cannot because is it so soupy.

you and me both, need this upcoming deep cold so that I can go in and cut enough for the rest of winter and not have to switch the propane back on. Without frozen ground (or dry but that waved bye bye with all the disgusting warmth and cutters) there's no way to retrieve any of it

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

18 minutes ago, beaver56 said:

Not sure of your exact location but this week is the best bet. I need to get some frost seeding done. I was thinking originally late Feb would be a good window but I'm worried the fields will be a muddy mess by then. I'm going to try to get my work done late this week and get the seeds into the soil.

• Meteorologist
22 hours ago, Cary67 said:

I'd prefer to pad my stats at MSP 😉

• THUMBS UP 1