2024 Tropical Atlantic Discussion and Pre-invest thread

MaineJay

1 hour ago, MaineJay said:

I have found it interesting that this area has lower wind design standards than the rest of the Gulf Coast. 

florida-wind-and-wind-borne-debris-building-code-requirements.thumb.jpg.5179eddad0490f43f7a48369e23d87cf.jpg

Occupational hazard that you know such things? LOL

That, to me, is quite odd given how often the Big Bend gets at least a glancing blow and many times are in the path of after landfall. 

I wanna take all the whiners who've been ridiculing NOAA's Tropical Forecast, drag them to a computer screen and let them watch the activity NOW and what is being modeled to happen over the next 10 days.

And shove their faces into the images as if they were bad puppies who pooped on the LR carpet. 

20 hours ago, clm said:

Oh boy, a double whammy a week later for the big bend area of FL

image.thumb.gif.f6672c358faf11e15c40fc3dbcf2a22b.gif

Lots of energy for sure, but doesn't the GFS have a reputation for depicting end-of-the-world storms that never manifest? I will be sad if a massive hurricane slams the eastern seaboard next month, just in time for my birthday with a newborn at home. Hopefully these are just model fever dreams.

• LIKE 1

30 minutes ago, LiveWire_13 said:

Lots of energy for sure, but doesn't the GFS have a reputation for depicting end-of-the-world storms that never manifest? I will be sad if a massive hurricane slams the eastern seaboard next month, just in time for my birthday with a newborn at home. Hopefully these are just model fever dreams.

True, though if I were in that area I wouldn't let my guard down after Helene goes away.

• Moderators

Number of Category 4 and 5 storms to make landfall in the US by decade

1850's. 1

1860s  0

1870s  0

1880s  1

1890s. 2

1900s  1

1910s  3

1920s  2

1930s. 2

1940s. 4