Spring 2024 Discussion

SnowloverSid

I will be very very displeased if we get a storm during eclipse period. It’s still a 50/50 shot at this point, but I don’t like the signals this early out. Even if it did affect the northeast, the cloud deck would most likely encompass the entire Great Lakes region. 

• THUMBS UP 1

• Meteorologist
On 3/24/2024 at 7:31 PM, StormfanaticInd said:

This is the one thing I have been worried about for quite some time. Ill be in Texas for the eclipse and am worried with the amount of systems that continue to push into the SW as the Nino fades makes me think we get a strong uptick as we head into April across the South.

Models are trying to give a us a pretty significant -NAO to end the month so maybe this doesn't quite pan out until mid April. Time will tell in the next few days. The western ridge has just not been our friend of recent so Im skeptical just how much influence the NAO will have on the eastern half of the country.

Euro tries to have a 1047 ridging pattern around the aleutians on the 4th of April, that just raises alarms for me in the central portion of the country come eclipse time. Just something to keep an eye on for now.

• LIKE 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Starting to wonder if this summer will be cooler than normal. 

I'm starting to wonder if we will ever have more than 48 hours without rain. Wettest March, April, May, and now June that I can ever remember (upper Midwest)

• LIKE 2

1 hour ago, Arctic Outbreak said:

I'm starting to wonder if we will ever have more than 48 hours without rain. Wettest March, April, May, and now June that I can ever remember (upper Midwest)

Yeah it has been unbelievable how active it has been in the Plains this year

21 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Starting to wonder if this summer will be cooler than normal. 

I certainly hope that it is cooler than normal because I have not experienced a cooler-than-average summer since 2017. 2018 was oppressively muggy in upstate New York, notably in August. July 2019 was three degrees above normal, more than making up for the somewhat cool June and August that year. 2020 was hot, with July being the hottest of any month since 1988.

Summer 2021, my first in St. Louis,?was slightly warmer than average, with an awful mid- June heat wave seeing temperatures reaching triple digits, the first official 100-plus day I can remember experiencing. 2022 continued the warm streak, and last year as well, highlighted by a 104-degree day on August 25.

I say, bring on the below- normal temperatures. Where I used to live, in upstate NY, they have had only one below-normal month since mid-2022. And that one, August 2023, was barely below normal. I don’t think there will be a prolonged period of below- normal temperatures until the next ENSO- neutral regime because that is what usually seems to result in consistent cool or cold.

• LIKE 1