February 22-25, 2024 | Winter Storm Speculation

MaineJay

2 minutes ago, marathongoalie said:

Fwiw

Screenshot_20240217_162348_X.jpg

"Anecdotal cold"?

The word maven in me will not allow that to pass without mention. I believe the word he intended might be "antecedent"?

Anecdotal: Based on casual observation as opposed to rigorous analysis. 

Antecedent: Going before

• LIKE 3
  • FACEPALM 1
  • LAUGH 3
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • TROPHY 1

7 minutes ago, Wtkidz said:

Sounds reasonable as  modeled for now but things may change….

Basically we need the cold air to come a little faster or the storm to develop a little slower or a combination of the both things mentioned.

• LIKE 1

• Admin

ECMWF Ensembles look like they backed off a more consolidated system and are favoring a more "messy" trof.

eps-fast_z500a_us_fh144_trend.thumb.gif.2eeaa35c111605ee2085d1d90170f4c6.gif

Northern stream will be tough to nail down, and the smart money always bets against phasing. 

• LIKE 2

ContentWx image and drawing brought me back to what has been on my mind vis a vie the W Ridge. 

I can't like the "sliding board" E side of that ridge. We've discussed this before - the sliding board ( \ ) v. the posi tilt ( / ) crest (sometimes I call it pebble into pond orientation) . The former allows the southern energy to shoot ahead (as models are showing at present); whereas the latter allows for better phasing potential as the S piece slows and has affinity to the N jet(s). The latter also usually promotes or is backed by CPF (Cross Polar Flow) which is always a genuine cold source - little, if any, chance to modify. 

Not that a ( \ ) crest can't/ won't work out. Simply that such orientation makes it "harder" for the match downstream. As currently modeled, the surface is not favorable - yet H8.5 does seem better supportive of precip falling as snow for most (albeit likely heavy and wet as you get to the coast). Certainly, any really robust coastal SLP can also "crank down" cold from aloft. 

Edited by Undertakerson2.0

The percent prob charts reflect the issues with temperature etc. Inland and elevation much better positioned to work with marginal cold. Coast is 4 flushed after the flop (Texas Hold Em analogy)  - not out of it, yet "needs help" and has time for it to work out  

image.thumb.png.3dcb5b7429d516ac13fbc1420354c10e.png

Nice Look Today---

For next Saturday Eve

spag.thumb.png.f71e5205beff518394b408f949c24b04.png

Next Friday Eve

sat.thumb.png.153a2fbf6a0f849bc5e505a60dd884d6.png

Timing and the lane markers not that far out of sync ATM

Neutral 500 mb  prog- might be a big head start here IMO

Big Dog puzzle pieces on the board  

"snap it, pal"---Uncle Floyd

Edited by Doorman
  • LIKE 1
  • TROPHY 1

1 hour ago, MaineJay said:

ECMWF Ensembles look like they backed off a more consolidated system and are favoring a more "messy" trof.

eps-fast_z500a_us_fh144_trend.thumb.gif.2eeaa35c111605ee2085d1d90170f4c6.gif

Northern stream will be tough to nail down, and the smart money always bets against phasing. 

Long term forecasting, not my Forte. But pieces have been on the board a lot this season. A big ripper with a strong phase will not surprise me in the slightest. 

18 minutes ago, MDBlueridge said:

Long term forecasting, not my Forte. But pieces have been on the board a lot this season. A big ripper with a strong phase will not surprise me in the slightest. 

I’ll let you all read the long term tea leaves, but if we can get a big ripper before spring sets in there would be a lot of happy people in here. Let’s go!

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

1 hour ago, CandO100 said:

I’ll let you all read the long term tea leaves, but if we can get a big ripper before spring sets in there would be a lot of happy people in here. Let’s go!

Remember when the divination professor read Harry Potters tea leaves??😂😂😞

• LIKE 1

3 hours ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

"Anecdotal cold"?

The word maven in me will not allow that to pass without mention. I believe the word he intended might be "antecedent"?

Anecdotal: Based on casual observation as opposed to rigorous analysis. 

Antecedent: Going before

You know, in IT as a Software Engineer I work a lot with a tool called Maven, by the Apache Organization. It's a framework used to manage package dependency and the build life cycle of Java enterprise applications. Yet I never bothered to look up the word "maven" in the dictionary. I should mention that English is my second language, and my native tongue is Spanish, so I'm constantly looking to improve my English vocabulary. But you sir definitely have good command of English, so I agree you're a language maven. Cheers:
image.thumb.png.c534e8f299cf825af0b475510dba72e4.png

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

I will say there are a good number (5 or more) of the MREFS which appear to be quite enthusiastic about this date range and many that are decent storms without enough cold (IOW they at least have a storm, not a wide right miss). 

For one week out, it's a bit better than typical support. 

• LIKE 1
  • TROPHY 1

CTP makes passing reference and mention of a few of the bigger picture aspects of import

Models having some problems with phasing or not to phase the upper
level energy late in the week. At this point, while low may
move off the coast by the end of the week, the upper level low
dropping southeast and energy rotating around it is something to
watch.

Regardless, as a large scale ridge builds to the west, colder
air will work into the area by the end of the week

11 hours ago, MaineJay said:

The important northern stream energy is somewhere near the Bering Strait.  The ocean storm is a mixture of energy in the deep Caribbean and energy that comes out of the complex west of Cali.  The real "cue ball" that gets everything in motion is actually off screen, west of that compact H5 closed low between Kamchatka and the Aleutian islands.  It has no direct influence, other than sending the other  "billiard balls" into motion.

CODNEXLAB-GOES-West-global-northernhemiwest-08-05_50Z-20240217_map_noBar-25-6n-10-100.thumb.gif.3bcfbd7cd2bc75300621c8ea5bb119cf.gif

Remember this post. It is brilliant. Posted this morning and still applies. Its all about over the top. This goes right, and we overcome the nao. 
For the naonuts, which i am a card carrying member, Let go of the girl that got away. Because of that Pac warm pool, she gone in winter, until that changes.  Busting  up the mjo also. Research it. So we do it this way. 

LWX says this and of course says  rain .

An area of low pressure will likely impact the area beginning
Thursday night into Friday. There still remains a good bit of
model discrepancy on the timing and impacts of the system, but
we will continue to monitor as it gets closer. The current
forecast has an area of low pressure and associated cold front
moving through the area Friday morning. This would bring rain
and cooler temperatures, with snow showers possible at higher
elevations. Temperatures on Friday will be cooler compared to
Thursday with overnight lows dipping into the 20s. Precipitation
chances stay at chance to slight chance.

11 hours ago, Doorman said:

More Speculative Eye Candy

ec.png.47373a348eb9457bf445b01bb0ec5c0c.png

science or one image map-casting  ???

we have potential, does mother nature have motivation

"I can dig it baby!"

----  Little Beaver

Hello Doorman! 🙂

Yeah, I’ve “crossed over to the dark side” to check out what you all got goin on next weekend lol!! (J/k haha!!) 

Do you think our Ohio valley will get in on this storm at all? We just had our only snow of the year on Friday  and it was a good one! But I’m hoping for one more, please ! 
🙂