February 16th-17th, 2024 | Winter Storm

Ohiobuckeye45

Just now, Blitz said:

What’s the GEM? Is that our snowfall totals for the entire 2023/2024 season?

🙂

The Canadian model has a couple names it is called.

• LIKE 1

1 minute ago, RobB said:

🙂

The Canadian model has a couple names it is called.

I was making a joke, lol. Hard to interpret severe cynicism in text. 😂

• LAUGH 2

28 minutes ago, RobB said:

UKMet (though I do not know why I bother)

image.thumb.png.477c7c0624c2b7e7cec5cca37c1ba893.png

wasnt the UKIE showing nothing for most of the OV the whole last system, and the one that lead the south charge for the east coast?

• LIKE 1

6 minutes ago, Wnwniner said:

wasnt the UKIE showing nothing for most of the OV the whole last system, and the one that lead the south charge for the east coast?

It was further south than most with the GEM/RGEM even more so.  UKMET has changed for the worse over the last couple of years..IMHO.

15 minutes ago, RobB said:

It was further south than most with the GEM/RGEM even more so.  UKMET has changed for the worse over the last couple of years..IMHO.

Agreed-it seems to be the outlier more often than not over the last few seasons.  Just didnt want to lose sight of the recent "win" it had.

• Admin

Maybe at some point instead of a seemingly certain 5"-6" piddling down to nothing within 36 hours of go time, we'll get a seemingly nothing ramping up to a seemingly certain 5"-6". 

Or maybe we're still paying for that gorgeous, unexpected white Christmas a few years back.

• LIKE 1

1 hour ago, BuckeyeGal said:

Maybe at some point instead of a seemingly certain 5"-6" piddling down to nothing within 36 hours of go time, we'll get a seemingly nothing ramping up to a seemingly certain 5"-6". 

Or maybe we're still paying for that gorgeous, unexpected white Christmas a few years back.

A White Christmas IN OHIO shouldn't be some mythical unicorn that happens every once in a lifetime. 

I know this year and last year were bad. But my daughter is turning 5 at the end of the week and I truly feel like we haven't had a good snow in her lifetime. Maybe I'm misremembering but I feel like the last 5 winters or so have been significantly lower than average. in terms of snowfall.

11 minutes ago, Blitz said:

A White Christmas IN OHIO shouldn't be some mythical unicorn that happens every once in a lifetime. 

I know this year and last year were bad. But my daughter is turning 5 at the end of the week and I truly feel like we haven't had a good snow in her lifetime. Maybe I'm misremembering but I feel like the last 5 winters or so have been significantly lower than average. in terms of snowfall.

I dont think you're wrong-mine will be 7 in a few months, loves the snow like her dad, and we've yet to build a proper snowman.  Anytime we get a few inches, its always powdery, high ratio snow.  We need 4-6 inches of wet, packing snow and we can build a proper snowman together.

33 minutes ago, Blitz said:

we've had some storms outside the last couple years, I know its within 5 years that I measured the biggest "snowpack" in February since living at our current house which has been 6 years. I think it was close to 20''

2021 was very active for Feb, almost 1-2 storms per week throughout various portions of the FA

image.thumb.png.3e9fdacb83767746e4711e2a2ce7685f.png

2020 February was also "active"

image.png.c7102ca4619d076dd0bbe04fa2cc147c.png

but boy you start tabbing through 2023 and 2024 and it get real quiet real quick

https://www.weather.gov/iln/events

model round up for 18z -

NAM - terrible QPF- mid ground track

RGEM - came north middle ground track - stronger than prior runs

ICON - slipped a bit futher south - decent strength

GFS - slipped a little south for the 2-3 consecutive run - decent strength

Still a bit concerned they're all heading towards the euro/UK

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45

Thanks for that link. I know the ILN page but have never looked at the "events" page. Good info there!

I took each event and added up snowfall totals for my location as best as I could by taking nearby totals and making logical estimations. My location is east of Columbus and far-West Licking County. Here are the yearly totals I got. Keep in mind this isn't seasonal, but annual. The annual average for Columbus, Ohio is 28 inches, over the last 30 years. (1991 to 2020).

2019: 21 inches

2020: 11 inches

2021: 8.5 inches

2022: 12 inches

2023: 3 inches

2024: 1.5 inches

FWIW and totally not all that relevant (other than to make my original point about my daughter's birth), 3 storms in 2019 happened before she was born in February and therefore subtracts 11.5 inches from the 2019 total for a total of 10. Lol

So during my 5 year old daughter's entire lifetime, she's experienced 46 inches worth of snow. That's less than 2 AVERAGE years worth. Not even "snowy" years.

This definitely helps to confirm my thoughts that, at least for me, this snow drought has been long and miserable. At least now I know who to blame though.... don't ever have kids! Hahaha!

• Admin
1 hour ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

I'm so tired of tracking 1-2'' events.......that don't even happen anyways lol

sfcmslp-meanmem.conus.png

sfcmslp-meanmem.conus.png

sn10_024h-mean-imp.conus.png

Me, too. Really thought this winter was going to be different. Appreciate you sticking in there, even for the mood snows.

• THANKS 1

Glass quarter full view, IF this does happen, will be cold for a couple of days so won’t all melt instantly.

I’m going on 2 years without really enough snow for sledding for the kids… I don’t count it if it basically gets compressed to grass.

• LIKE 1