February 16-17, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

• Social Media Crew
3 minutes ago, Rush said:

Anyone know if that snow in the radar west of Chambersburg and Hagerstown is virga or actually coming down?

Probably virga.. It’s currently sunny, with thin high clouds rolling in. 

• THUMBS UP 1

3 minutes ago, Rush said:

Anyone know if that snow in the radar west of Chambersburg and Hagerstown is virga or actually coming down?

Pennstate will let us know… as I typed this there he is. 

• LIKE 2

• Social Media Crew
Just now, TLChip said:

Pennstate will let us know… as I typed this there he is. 

lol.. Yep. I’ve been at a professional development all day and last night I watched the Duels at Daytona. It’s been busy this week! 

• LIKE 1

1 hour ago, Anthonyweather said:

Cinders don’t melt snow. Then you have hard pack. 

Well aware.  My house is situated ~6 miles from the nearest paved road, so we primarily drive on hard pack snow/ice/cinders all winter.  4x4 and chains usually required to get up to the house from the "main" road.

Editing to also point out that cinders do kind of help with melting.  They are darker than the snow, so they absorb light and retain heat which helps the process somewhat when the temps are near freezing.  The treated routes definitely tend to melt a little quicker than the non-treated.. but it is marginal. 

Edited by tcari394
  • LIKE 2

9 minutes ago, tcari394 said:

Well aware.  My house is situated ~6 miles from the nearest paved road, so we primarily drive on hard pack snow/ice/cinders all winter.  4x4 and chains usually required to get up to the house from the "main" road.

Get one of these. You'll go through anything.

4x4 24V Ride on Dump Truck with Remote Control, 2 Seater Electric Powered  Ride on Toys, 6-Wheel UTV Car w/ Tipping Bucket Trailer, Shovel,  Suspension, Bluetooth Music, Big Kids, Black - Walmart.com

• LOVE 1

Just a WWA so far.  Interesting what with 2 to 5 total.

Tonight
Snow, mainly after 1am. Low around 25. Northwest wind 5 to 13 mph becoming northeast after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Saturday
Snow, mainly before 10am, then a chance of snow showers after noon. High near 38. Wind chill values between 25 and 30. Northeast wind 5 to 13 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

28 minutes ago, clm said:

Just a WWA so far.  Interesting what with 2 to 5 total.

Tonight
Snow, mainly after 1am. Low around 25. Northwest wind 5 to 13 mph becoming northeast after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Saturday
Snow, mainly before 10am, then a chance of snow showers after noon. High near 38. Wind chill values between 25 and 30. Northeast wind 5 to 13 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

That 2-5" forecast is equivalent to what the guys in Space Balls with the giant pick found. At least take a stab; otherwise may as well say 0-6" every time. Doesn't exactly help much.

• LAUGH 1

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
527 PM EST Fri Feb 16 2024

Jefferson-Tuscarawas-Harrison-Coshocton-Carroll-Washington-Brooke-

...AN AREA OF HEAVY SNOW WILL AFFECT HARRISON...CENTRAL JEFFERSON... EAST CENTRAL COSHOCTON...SOUTH CENTRAL CARROLL...SOUTHERN TUSCARAWAS...WEST CENTRAL WASHINGTON...BROOKE AND HANCOCK COUNTIES...

At 525 PM EST, an area of heavy snow was located along a line extending from near West Lafayette to 7 miles northeast of Cadiz to near Avella. The band was nearly stationary.

Locations impacted include... Weirton, Steubenville, Coshocton, Uhrichsville, Cadiz, Wellsburg, Wintersville, Newcomerstown, Mingo Junction, Follansbee, Dennison, Hooverson Heights, West Lafayette, Gnadenhutten, Tuscarawas, Hopedale, Smithfield, Scio, Jewett, and Port Washington.

This includes Interstate 77 in Ohio between mile markers 62 and 71.

Snow will lead to reduced visibilities of less than one-half mile and quick accumulation on roads, leading to hazardous travel conditions. Slow down, allow for extra travel time, and increase the distance between your vehicle and those that surround yours.

A winter weather advisory is in effect for the area. Please monitor local media outlets and the National Weather Service for further statements.

TIME...MOT...LOC 2225Z 261DEG 8KT 4027 8180 4035 8092 4032 8044

animated.gif

• LOVE 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

GFS steadily moving more meaningful precip into CT.  Already warned my parents in NNJ that what I told them yesterday would now be 3-4.  

gfs_apcpn_neus_fh30_trend.thumb.gif.c17524dbfbe99ece67e0df82659456d3.gif

You can combine the Kuchera map for snow ratios with the precip map.   The difference in 0.2" of precip and 0.3" of precip will vary where you are on the Kuchera map when it comes to snow accumulation. If it's straight 10:1, then it's 2 or 3 inches. 

image.thumb.gif.90cd523e27dbd021fd7d34c5c9ec6201.gif

• LIKE 1