February 16-17, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

• Meteorologist
14 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

I posted this elsewhere. HBG and DC are the closest (out of stations shown) to being "at average" to date. 

20240216_053358.jpg

Can probably add alot of eastern and ne pa to the near average now. Philly, state college, and williamsport just on the outside of it. Hartford area also has to be close too with the last storm. Kind of a weird look to the area near normal.

I will say my goal was to at least get normal snowfall. Was hoping for one good footer+ to help cushion that but we have had several small events which is something we have not seen in quite awhile.

• LIKE 1

6 minutes ago, Anthonyweather said:

RAP

RRFS

6z euro (juices up a bit and pushes heavier snow further north)

im gonna ride the snow breeds snow and go with the lollipops of 3-5” from N&W Philly burbs to LV. I ride it 

IMG_1792.jpeg

IMG_1793.png

IMG_1794.png

UGHHHHH! Outside of the Alleghenies, I'm suddenly in the sweet spot. 😞

• TROPHY 1

• Meteorologist
1 minute ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

This will at least be a fluff storm, that i am grateful for. No more concrete. Seriously though after this lets bring the 60s...

Edited by so_whats_happening
  • LOVE 1

4 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

Can probably add alot of eastern and ne pa to the near average now. Philly, state college, and williamsport just on the outside of it. Hartford area also has to be close too with the last storm. Kind of a weird look to the area near normal.

I will say my goal was to at least get normal snowfall. Was hoping for one good footer+ to help cushion that but we have had several small events which is something we have not seen in quite awhile.

I'm trying to recall the year, maybe 2014? We saw a step down into winter culminating in a large event near the end that essentially "made" winter for most if not all. 

Edited by Undertakerson2.0

• Meteorologist
3 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

I'm trying to recall the year, maybe 2014? We saw a step down into winter culminating in a large event near the end that essentially "made" winter for most if not all. 

Im not sure but the last big late winter storm i remember was 2017 or 18 in march around my bday got about 16" if i remember correctly. Last large storm meaning 2 feet plus was 2016 around here in January. Allentown had it in 2021.

• LIKE 1

12 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

When you get in the sweet spot I get on the southern  edge again….

Guess my invite with biscuits , Sweet. Tea, barbecue, and Virginia Gentlemen was not good enough for  to stay south  🤷🏼. Guess it wanted some Pennsylvania  Dutch cookin’

51 minutes ago, Wtkidz said:

When you get in the sweet spot I get on the southern  edge again….

Guess my invite with biscuits , Sweet. Tea, barbecue, and Virginia Gentlemen was not good enough for  to stay south  🤷🏼. Guess it wanted some Pennsylvania  Dutch cookin’

It saw my offering of Virginia Distillery Whiskey. Maybe it really likes Cider cask proofed alcohol? 

• THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators

Even down here where I live in Virginia, March is the month for big snowstorms. It doesn't necessarily happen that often, but every so many years we get a big snowstorm in March. It happens regularly enough that March is the month with the highest average snowfall (skewed by those big storms, as many years we get nothing).

It's been a few years since we've seen a big one in March. Is it about time for another? Some of us can dream. 🙂

• LIKE 1

You can see the corridor opening up for the approximate path of our LOW in TX 

image.thumb.png.76f2f8e365424f10878b9d690fabcb00.png

Just follow the pressure lapses 

image.thumb.png.a8cbb31a6c17fcb26e7acba95ca9d170.png

And extrapolate at your leisure, or pleasure if you will 

image.thumb.png.98cfcc2ffd3b25bc76d1a249c3522ec6.png

Hmm - could be why the models are picking up on a juicier outcome? Increased VV in convection would be my guess. 

image.thumb.png.fc3a3ae165b25f824838b78315631dfe.png

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

1 minute ago, LUCC said:

A different look.

namconus_asnow_neus_12.png

I guess that will delay my next tee time. Well, outdoor tee time anyway. Looks like more SiM hours are in the "fore"cast. (which btw, if anyone does get a golf outing together with this group, Ima gonna insist that is what it is named - The FOREcasters) 

• LAUGH 1
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • BOMBOGENESIS 1
  • LOVE 2

2 hours ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

I guess that will delay my next tee time. Well, outdoor tee time anyway. Looks like more SiM hours are in the "fore"cast. (which btw, if anyone does get a golf outing together with this group, Ima gonna insist that is what it is named - The FOREcasters) 

Might take the boys to Top Golf this weekend, get some swings in, my 13 year old son wants to get serious about golf this spring which is awesome. I'd gladly play if someone gets a small golf outing going. 

Edited by LUCC
  • THUMBS UP 1

Yeah this one completely snuck up on me lol. Was paying no attention. Wrote this south until i happened to scroll through the gfs 500 run this morning and said wait a minute..then looked at the short ranges lol. 

• LIKE 2

2 minutes ago, WeatherFlash said:

Yeah this one completely snuck up on me lol. Was paying no attention. Wrote this south until i happened to scroll through the gfs 500 run this morning and said wait a minute..then looked at the short ranges lol. 

That's the old fashioned way to see changes.

These days, just log on here and if the thread says "HOT" (in RED) and 150bejeebus new replies - that's all you need to know. 

image.thumb.png.eaf564eb6dcfbf07c0ee6b0835fe1397.png

Edited by Undertakerson2.0
  • LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 1
  • THUMBS UP 4

24 minutes ago, LUCC said:

Might take the boys to Top Golf this weekend, get some swings in, my 13 year old sons wants to get serious about golf this spring which is awesome. I'd gladly play if someone gets a small golf outing going. 

I’m in!

🤔  Makes me wonder if the SLP is modeled this far north and down to a 997 MB if there is a chance of enhanced snow for a few hours in the area circled in red.  Above and beyond what is modeled here.   Maybe SLP is just moving too fast for that.

ref1km_ptype.us_maEDi.png

• LIKE 2