February 16-17, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

I said yesterday this map from Sterling changes on a whim.. Several models show it decreased for my area of Fredericksburg. Yet this jumps from the 1-2 to now 2-3.  Guess the magic spinner jumped to a different slot.

IMG_0636.jpeg

Edited by Wtkidz
  • LAUGH 1

17 minutes ago, Wtkidz said:

I said yesterday this map from Sterling changes on a whim.. Several models show it decreased for my area of Fredericksburg. Yet this jumps from the 1-2 to now 2-3.  Guess the magic spinner jumped to a different slot.

IMG_0636.jpeg

Those maps are THE worst. Seems like all WFOs use them and they change by the hour at times. 

• THUMBS UP 1

18 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Those maps are THE worst. Seems like all WFOs use them and they change by the hour at times. 

Agreed it’s almost as bad as some the “pay” weather sites (cough cough) a their Free forecasts that are usually in accurate or after the fact or  very misleading….

The bad thing is most people will take it as gospel cause the will not read an actual foecasst. That’s why they have weather weenies like us.. 

IMG_0637.gif

• LOVE 1

On this map, you can see our Clipper from overnight - now E of New England. It has done its job of reinforcing cold air in the region. Highs today in SC PA won't make it past 40f. 

Our low is in TX and will ride that cold front boundary until it feels a tug north as that meso SLP in West VA translates east and entices it to ride the pressure lapses it creates. 

image.thumb.png.0c406ffb0420c02760068c8b8dd6a828.png

1 minute ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

I posted this elsewhere. HBG and DC are the closest (out of stations shown) to being "at average" to date. 

20240216_053358.jpg

That illustrate how low seasonal everages have dropped in the last 15 years.   DCA used to be over 13” now seasonal is under 10”  admittedly being right next to the Potomac it is lower. a mile from there you can have twice as much snow.

• Meteorologist
4 minutes ago, Wtkidz said:

That illustrate how low seasonal everages have dropped in the last 15 years.   DCA used to be over 13” now seasonal is under 10”  admittedly being right next to the Potomac it is lower. a mile from there you can have twice as much snow.

I dont think dc has gotten that low yet. It looks like averages to date, so whenever that date is. Since then many areas from harrisburg to nj and north to about albany have added quite a bit. Still below average in many parts though.

• THUMBS UP 1