February 16-17, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm

Penn State

• Meteorologist
15 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Northern Finger walked away with the totals contest. 

image.thumb.png.bce12c43e292400d6627d172088c0803.png

Wow impressive. When i saw that band form over western pa i knew it was too far north for here. I measured about 4" average here yet another nickel added to the change jar.

Edited by so_whats_happening
  • LIKE 1

2 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

Wow impressive. When i saw that band form over western pa i knew it was too far north for here. I measured about 4" average here yet another nickel added to the change jar.

My sister lives in Middletown right next to HIA. She said their roads are just wet and she estimates "might be an inch" in the yard 😮 

• FLUSHED 2

2 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

My sister lives in Middletown right next to HIA. She said their roads are just wet and she estimates "might be an inch" in the yard 😮 

Must be latent thermonuclear particles.....

• MELTING 1

Should have k own when Mr. Wrong Rayno was doing his usual Euro trumpeting for DC area. Dynamics. Yea right. What a moron. Nothing here. Flakes mixed in late. Couple cars i guess from the burbs had car toppings. Not here, and notta on the ground. Congrats up morth!

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 4
  • THUMBS UP 2

• Meteorologist
4 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Yea that band stole the show from them but that is quite a gradient around harrisburg.

It looks like roads were about 3 inches they didnt get coated for a bit. But cars and concrete got instant stickage here.

Edited by so_whats_happening

Just now, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Should have k own when Mr. Wrong Rayno was doing his usual Euro trumpeting for DC area. Dynamics. Yea right. What a moron. Nothing here. Flakes mixed in late. Couple cars i guess from the burbs had car toppings. Not here, and notta on the ground. Congrats up morth!

Next time, please come stay at my place or in a nearby hotel at least. I won't mind if this is the "end of my winter".  

Welp.... in total 2.75". I am disappointed but I agree with @Wtkidz it was fun to track as always. Happy for the good spots. Now, I'll see you guys in the 22-25 thread!

Edited by Squepp

Carlisle, PA  8:50 AM  Tamp 27 degrees F.   Strange storm.  Last night at 11 pm snow was light.  When I got up at 5:30, sidewalks and streets wet and bare, lightly snowing.  2-3" on lawns and cars, temp was 31.  At 8:30 this morning, temp is at 27 and winds around 20 mph and gusting.  I do not have the tech knowledge to know why the cold front did not come in as the precipitation commenced, it just didn't.  Wide variance in snow totals between Carlisle and UT's report early this morning, before the wind came up, 7" on his ruler.  My guess is the storm was weaker, if you could compare to last week's storm, which dropped 5-7 when ground temps were warmer at 34-35 degrees.

7 minutes ago, George Acton said:

Was RickRD in the mega band near Nazareth. 

We were not. Close but no cigar. We received 4”

Edited by Rickrd
  • SAD 2
  • THUMBS DOWN 1

The two storms this week are a good reminder that with each storm there is likely to be some surprises, good or bad, despite the best efforts of forecasting (Mets, models, etc.)
The storm earlier in the week looked like the snow was going to miss my area to the north, yet we ended up with a few inches of snow. Last night’s storm looked like we were definitely going to cash in, yet this morning there isn’t all that much to show for it. 
Reminder to self; never prematurely throw in the towel but also, never get overly confident and count your chickens before they hatch. 
Enjoy it if you got it! If you didn’t get what you wanted, have hope that the next one might just be for you. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • TROPHY 1

Amazing little storm. Happy for those who cashed in with a surprise! Disappointed for those to our south who were predicted to get a good thump. 

Edited by Rickrd
  • LIKE 1

9 hours ago, Rickrd said:

Where you at Jim? My son is in Manayunk. Just wonder if he’s in it yet. 

I'm in very northern Delaware County. So I'm about 7 miles due west of him.