February 11-13, 2024 | Winter Storm Speculation

SNOWBOB11

7 minutes ago, Indygirl said:

There’s always a good March madness storm for us to rely on!!

Right?? 😀

I am taking two weeks and a day off of work beginning on March 11. I am sure it will late season snow then 🙂

I am in a win win situ...I want to see a decent snow storm but I also want to NOT see snow til next winter.  I guess one will likely happen 😄

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 2

East Asia system correlates with ours & could be helpful with models all over the place. Looks like a southern track & then OTS. Soul, South Korea correlates with Paducah, ky. So a 1:1 correlation keeps this south of Ohio River.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_ea_fh12-60.thumb.gif.20f1df6687bd97cfa8069d180268d8bc.gif

The precip type does not always correlate with our neck of woods. Unless there's a good push of cold before or with system, with that track south of Ohio River, I'm guessing rain. 

Now 1:1 is not a guarantee. EAR is a tool. Sometimes it is 1:1, & sometimes it's not. If the system structure played out that way, I think the best case scenario for some wet snow would be for this to track a little further north than above, get precip north of Ohio R & wet snow is a greater possibility.

Obviously the best, best case would be for the ULL to be strong, & at least neutral & system to be stronger. 

Edited by Grace
  • THANKS 1

12z GFS & CMC are misses to the SE, but that's okay considering we're 6 days out at this point. I'm mostly skeptical that there will be enough cold air to produce a widespread snowfall in the region. Seems like this thing is destined to produce one of those 2-3 county-wide, narrow snow swaths. 

Edited by MesoscaleBanding
  • LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 1

Agreed. There is a narrow road to success. These solutions have been all over the place the past few days. At least there is something to peak at during this (sunny) lull.  

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

11 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

12z GFS & CMC are misses to the SE, but that's okay considering we're 6 days out at this point. I'm mostly skeptical that there will be enough cold air to produce a widespread snowfall in the region. Seems like this thing is destined to produce one of those 2-3 county wide narrow snow swaths. 

Totally agree. Keeping an eye on this but lack of good colds with this limits potential excitement. 

• THUMBS UP 1

2 hours ago, Cary67 said:

Think a wrapped up system cutting to the Western Lakes is unlikely at this point. A southern slider OTS or system affecting the OV seems plausible

Agree, but I'm skeptical that anything but a cutter will produce any snow.  I hope I have to eat a big crow sandwich.

7 minutes ago, Grace said:

Agree, but I'm skeptical that anything but a cutter will produce any snow.  I hope I have to eat a big crow sandwich.

I would agree the cold air arrival may not be there in time the further SE this tracks. If pattern change includes a more +PNA, -AO, -NAO then would favor the weather madness depiction in the long range for snow chances. My area would be in NW flow looking for a clipper or as they say on Americanwx "CAD purgatory"

Edited by Cary67
  • LIKE 1