February 11-13, 2024 | Winter Storm Speculation

SNOWBOB11

Do the models not initiate correct? Is this big se adjustment from sampling? I mean, if it starts a little wrong, that could explain the sudden. Shifts 36 hrs out...something gets sampled, models see a big difference at the start, thus the major jump in results?

Just now, Wnwniner said:

Do the models not initiate correct? Is this big se adjustment from sampling? I mean, if it starts a little wrong, that could explain the sudden. Shifts 36 hrs out...something gets sampled, models see a big difference at the start, thus the major jump in results?

It's truly a mystery. It's apparent that the Canadian model suite saw something from the start that the GFS/ICON were clueless about 'til the end. Euro/UK were kind of the middle ground. 

It's just embarrassing to see the GFS & GEFS in lock-step within 48 hours of the event only to have an epic cave to other guidance. Just awful performance.

4 minutes ago, RobB said:

I am doubting seeing any flakes, let alone 1 to 2 inches.....

Same. I was fully expecting this to go NW and just be plain rain IMBY with WAA and such. Didn’t think it would miss Ohio completely. Mother Nature getting the last laugh. 

37 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

It's truly a mystery. It's apparent that the Canadian model suite saw something from the start that the GFS/ICON were clueless about 'til the end. Euro/UK were kind of the middle ground. 

It's just embarrassing to see the GFS & GEFS in lock-step within 48 hours of the event only to have an epic cave to other guidance. Just awful performance.

Yea lots of poor performance over the last few years, just makes me wonder if the atmosphere is different. Old programming rules need updated, incorrect initial data, or combination.

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

2 hours ago, adurb44 said:

I've been puzzled by this these last few years. I feel like a decade or so ago the models seemed to be much more consistent with storms. Is it possible that all the advancements in resolution and inputs has only increased the imprecision of the models? 

I really believe that's what's happening. Seems like the models were far more reliable back in the day. Especially the European 

• LIKE 2