February 12-13, 2024 | Winter Storm

MaineJay

OBS

Princeton Junction, NJ. 43-deg and raining.

I went out and got a gallon of gas for the snowblower, and pulled it out from the back of the garage where it has been buried for several years.  Blame me if you don’t like the weather tomorrow.

Edited by Burr
  • LAUGH 3

• Admin
3 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Sorry man, bad simile. There needs to

be fish at the end of the line 😀

Lol,  I'm also not wired like most people.  I'm probably an odder duck than most of you all realize.

• LIKE 1
  • TROPHY 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Burr said:

went out and got a gallon of gas for the snowblower, and pulled it out from the back of the garage where it has been buried for several years.

I offset you... left it in the shed with no gas. Will gladly take one for the team

• LAUGH 1
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • TROPHY 2
  • SNOWMAN 1

After 2 years of basically no snow in NYC, I stopped tracking storms. I began to believe that global warming had killed the snow storms we used to 'enjoy'. Much to my surprise I got an email this afternoon from operations at JFK warning several flights arriving tonight and tomorrow are canceled. And I have the day off to enjoy it. Does life get any better.....

• LOVE 2

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, BossaNova said:

I liked the earlier post about sending out the hurricane hunters which makes me wonder. Is this system more anomalous than what we usually see? We always see changes but this has to be in the 90th percentile for all the models and forecasters to be so off so near to the event. Why has this one been so difficult?

I still think its about trying to nail down where a swath of 6+ snow will be that is forecast to be only 20-90miles wide. That swath in NJ is 90 miles, in CT and PA it's 20-30. 

image.thumb.png.c5fa3c179624a2cc1f2dc1d6a9873618.png

23 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

You're still in it though. Places like Enfield, Putnam, Salisbury its hard to find more than .3 of qpf. 

I averaged all these models for the output for Waterbury and it's 6.9" 10:1, which probably isn't far off. Still not bad.  Icon was still 13, UKMET was 0.4

Screenshot2024-02-12at9_36_00PM.thumb.png.753501904b1c076ec490c48c5d2f2c11.png

How far north of Bridgeport are you?

• Moderators

I forget who was asking about the HRRR long range.  And It's not fair to throw it under the bus cause most of the other models had this too. But under the bus it goes.  First three are its longest range. Last two are the last two runs.  Either it's bad in the long run or bad in the near term. 

trend-hrrr-2024021118-f048.snku_acc-imp.us_ne.gif.c31b2a404a477ed7c27928643b763ebd.gif

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

@Lazman Looks as though the Euro had a fairly similar take as the GFS did with the northern reach of Vorticity. You can see just how much more consolidated it ended up being in the last few runs.

ecmwf_z500_vort_us_fh18_trend (1).gif

Earlier today I was looking at how well the upper low closed off and how far north it did.  That's no longer happening to the same degree. Weaker.  This was a 528 low over ACK. 

image.thumb.png.8abf0e999d6aecf336474dca8b263468.png

now a 534 low south of LI, which given the position and strength should still produce good snow for SNE. 

image.thumb.png.71a0eb75d155e6fd3e5b913d91de2bce.png

Edited by StretchCT

3 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

I forget who was asking about the HRRR long range.  And It's not fair to throw it under the bus cause most of the other models had this too. But under the bus it goes.  First three are its longest range. Last two are the last two runs.  Either it's bad in the long run or bad in the near term. 

trend-hrrr-2024021118-f048.snku_acc-imp.us_ne.gif.c31b2a404a477ed7c27928643b763ebd.gif

Euro showed the weaker southern solution first, and I’m pretty sure it was laughed at and dismissed.  “Why are we looking at global when it’s time to look at the short term models”, etc.?

• Meteorologist
1 minute ago, StretchCT said:

Earlier today I was looking at how well the upper low closed off and how far north it did.  That's no longer happening to the same degree. Weaker. 

Yea it only looks to try and close off again off shore which seems reasonable given the SLP is intensifying rapidly. I think it was a bit of an issue to see the vorticity pocket that far north given it usually resides in the base which was over northern VA/MD region even in earlier runs. Im not sure why it was trying to close it off so early like that,  but unfortunately I was not following this that much until I was talking with my colleague on Friday.

• THANKS 1

1 hour ago, JDClapper said:

That's the frustrating part, thinking of all the time, just to have the rug pulled out.  Let's be honest, chasing is more fun when you get some pay off. Times like these are like, what's the point.  Just being honest, thinking out loud.

We on Long Island know your pain all too well and can sympathize with you.

1 hour ago, MaineJay said:

Sometimes you go fishing and catch a lunker, sometimes you don't catch anything, but still have a good time.

I heard this a long time ago and continue to repeat it.  A bad day at fishing is better than a good day at work.

• LIKE 1

1 minute ago, StretchCT said:

Rain around Middletown NJ - not a lot of virga?

Screenshot2024-02-12at10_11_13PM.thumb.png.ab98ca8260ea56dce5da01ab68303c12.png

That was definitely reaching the ground here in Princeton Junction (near Plainsboro on that map)

• LIKE 1

1 hour ago, StretchCT said:

Sometimes that depends on what the guy down the shore, or in the kayak 20 yards away gets.  But yeah, I enjoy learning about these systems, usually regardless of what I get.  Until it's sunset and still nothing to bring home. 

Yep.  I've been disappointed many times over the years by that blasted rain/snow line, but its cool tracking these storms and learning new stuff.

• THUMBS UP 1

39 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

I averaged all these models for the output for Waterbury and it's 6.9" 10:1, which probably isn't far off. Still not bad.  Icon was still 13, UKMET was 0.4

Screenshot2024-02-12at9_36_00PM.thumb.png.753501904b1c076ec490c48c5d2f2c11.png

Is there a part of the image missing?  All I see are labels.

Probably trying to be too cute.. but following how the radar is "pointing" .. heaviest qpf follows this general path? Looks like ICON haha.. yikes.  Maybe I shouldn't post this.

sn10_024h-prob01.us_ne (2).png

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 1

• Meteorologist

You can kinda already see where the track looks to be. The isobars bending near the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. At 925mb you already see it trying to reach in this location too with frontogenesis setting up just inland of Delaware shore and along the Jersey coast.

sfnt.gif

9fnt.gif

• LIKE 1