February 12-13, 2024 | Winter Storm

MaineJay

• Meteorologist
2 hours ago, Uscg Ast said:

So this is where you send a written message that you don't feel you can make it safely. They say you have to come in. You do. Anything happens to you and liability wise you go after them 😉

I do truly wish it was that simple but this is a government position and the contractor is in Florida (lets just leave it at that). As much as i like snow I hope this is north.

• SAD 1

• Moderators

Water vapor - our UL is back in Four Corners, so that's on track. 

Screenshot2024-02-10at12_05_12PM.thumb.png.cc23e064ef0da72b23280b5edcbf4401.png

Its the angle of the flow out in front and over PA that seems off compared to GFS, which is more flat/zonal than WV right now.

image.thumb.png.c0fa3097bc82e6e81c67dcdaa94a55a3.png

image.thumb.png.5a2640c9823ee80ab4e4dcc09b020172.png

• LIKE 1

• Admin

For places that start snowing when the temp is just above freezing, we could be looking at some power outage issues. Seems like once you hit about 6" of sticky snow, limbs and power lines are at risk.

• LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 1

7 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

the pro golf has had the worst weather luck this past week. 

Entire west coast swing been pretty bad. Back in the old days when they got weather, it was ours a few days later many times. That was back in the days before the Pac started taking ‘roids.

• LIKE 1

1 hour ago, Anthonyweather said:

Honestly this is probably the most level headed group I found. 

there’s Facebook groups I’m in, and other places like American wx. If it’s not 8+ no one really cares (mainly mid ATL and Philly crews). Everything has to be historic for any excitement. Historic is historic for a reason. They expect that 30” storm every year

That's what gets me.  I'd rather belong to a group that cares like this one than other groups who stop talking about it if they're not getting 8+.

Many reasons this level headed (and wacky in a good way 🤪) fun group cares is

• It is fun tracking the storm and for those of us non-experts, we love learning about how weather behaves/changes.  Yeah sometimes it is disappointing with the snow totals but....
  • There are those who have to worry about driving to/from work (i.e. @so_whats_happening,  myself as my company does not believe in work from homej).  Some of us also may have trips planned or have to worry about schools being closed/not closed.
  • The fun banter here is hilarious.  
  • And its educational too.  I'm not smart by any means but I have a better understanding of the weather thanks to this group which helps me plan any hikes I want to take rather than listen to the nuts on tv who just get a script to read from.

Edited by clm
fix name
  • LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 6

1 hour ago, Anthonyweather said:

Honestly this is probably the most level headed group I found. 

there’s Facebook groups I’m in, and other places like American wx. If it’s not 8+ no one really cares (mainly mid ATL and Philly crews). Everything has to be historic for any excitement. Historic is historic for a reason. They expect that 30” storm every year

I may have missed this from some post when you first joined but question.  Are you the same Anthony that had a handle of Snowman or Snowman11 on the old AccuWeather site?  I believe he lived in NYC.

• LIKE 1

• Moderators

NBM continues a slow but favorable trend for those in its zone. I like the axis of snow here, obviously.  Amounts are probably a touch under done.  The snow output has ratio factored into it though, so it may be a nice compromise.

trend-nbm-2024021013-f089.snowfall_acc-imp.us_ne.thumb.gif.8d4da987298db70cf760c6bdd4843b90.gif

• Admin
23 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Looking at the qpf map, you can see the shift north or is it just increasing qpf? or both...

trend-nbm-2024021013-f089.qpf_acc-imp.us_ne.gif.b97547cbaef3192c276ef15d5e350b0c.gif

Looks to me like just an increase in QPF on the NW envelope. Of course, it may be slightly north, but that portion is just noise imo

• LIKE 1

20 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Looking at the qpf map, you can see the shift north or is it just increasing qpf? or both...

trend-nbm-2024021013-f089.qpf_acc-imp.us_ne.gif.b97547cbaef3192c276ef15d5e350b0c.gif

Looks to me a shift north.  Also need to take into account temp changes.  In the past week we've been warm here (40's and 55 today).  So for my area, if we have this until Sunday and then it dips down, ground may not have enough time to freeze to allow the snow to accumulate entirely.  In my opinion, if I was to get 4" in this storm, and if things hold the way they will in terms of temps, then that first inch will be iffy as there will be some absorption/melting.  So maybe I would get 2.5" or so out of it.

I'm just throwing out numbers as an example.  I'm no expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express in the past.  

41 minutes ago, clm said:

That's what gets me.  I'd rather belong to a group that cares like this one than other groups who stop talking about it if they're not getting 8+.

Many reasons this level headed (and wacky in a good way 🤪) fun group cares is

• It is fun tracking the storm and for those of us non-experts, we love learning about how weather behaves/changes.  Yeah sometimes it is disappointing with the snow totals but....
  • There are those who have to worry about driving to/from work (i.e. @so_whats_happening,  myself as my company does not believe in work from homej).  Some of us also may have trips planned or have to worry about schools being closed/not closed.
  • The fun banter here is hilarious.  
  • And its educational too.  I'm not smart by any means but I have a better understanding of the weather thanks to this group which helps me plan any hikes I want to take rather than listen to the nuts on tv who just get a script to read from.

I lurk in the NE threads to learn, and in general I get more info from this site than any other source. I'm in charge of snow and ice control for my city so having a place like this helps more than you know.

• LIKE 2
  • THANKS 1
  • TROPHY 1
  • LOVE 1

48 minutes ago, Paletitsnow63 said:

I may have missed this from some post when you first joined but question.  Are you the same Anthony that had a handle of Snowman or Snowman11 on the old AccuWeather site?  I believe he lived in NYC.

No - he'll laugh hisass off when he reads this though. 

• LIKE 1