February 12-13, 2024 | Winter Storm

MaineJay

• Admin
9 hours ago, Rickrd said:

Spire uses a unique technique of measuring the earth's atmosphere with 3x more radio occultation data than any other commercial entity. This gives an advantage in forecast accuracy for remote locations. The Spire model is #1 for wind speed and direction accuracy using data from offshore weather buoys.

something like that….

Nerd. 

1 hour ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

JAX Rule? 

image.thumb.png.de31901aa46f3445fcc812cfc4785f28.png

At 500 mb, a jet max is forecast to strengthen and move eastward
   into the eastern Gulf Coast states. Ahead of this feature, a band of
   large-scale ascent and strong deep-layer shear will likely be
   favorable for the development of severe storms. Short line segments
   are expected to develop, which should be capable of producing
   isolated wind damage. In addition, 0-3 km storm-relative helicity is
   forecast to be above 300 m2/s2 across much of the moist sector
   suggesting a tornado threat will be possible as well. The severe
   threat could continue into the evening, as the convection approaches
   the southern Atlantic Seaboard.

27d.jpg.dc31ac2157875c2558fd176b4e6f4146.jpg

1 hour ago, NEPAsnow said:

thoughts?

I believe NYC and LI are in this game, with a thump

52 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Any boss at NWS who takes vacation at this time of year is either

A) the meanest SOAB going or

B) the shrewdest boss in NOAA 

C) Government employee who can't be fired and doesn't care about anything or anyone.... Err. Nvm

41 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

Please do this will have been the third storm i will have driven in to get to work and im not havin it anymore. Company doesnt reimburse us for hotel stays in situations like this.

So this is where you send a written message that you don't feel you can make it safely. They say you have to come in. You do. Anything happens to you and liability wise you go after them 😉

Regarding this storm, confluence presses down, leading to baroclynicity off the coast. Given SSTs I would bet this is a bit further off the coast. Where the band sets up is going to accumulate rather quickly. I would not sleep on this and be prepared for a quick hard thump. 

• LAUGH 1

• Moderators

Models at hr 78.  Big picture is not a lot of differences. Timing is close, positioning is off NJ or DelMarVa which is pretty close for big picture. Strength is the curious one.  993 to 985 is a decent spread and is what seems to be driving the differences

models-2024021006-f078.ref1km_ptype.conus.thumb.gif.f7914a3da2308ca747c840bf1c5aa7c1.gif

NAM is slowest at 500mb. UKMET and GDPS are the weakest

models-2024021006-f078.500hv.conus.thumb.gif.b8937d2fa5085ffc0a0cd3644234598b.gif

On a close in, detail basis, no consensus yet.  Waiting for NAM to speed up.

Edited by StretchCT

2 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Models at hr 78.  Big picture is not a lot of differences. Timing is close, positioning is off NJ or DelMarVa which is pretty close for big picture. Strength is the curious one.  993 to 985 is a decent spread and is what seems to be driving the differences

models-2024021006-f078.ref1km_ptype.conus.thumb.gif.f7914a3da2308ca747c840bf1c5aa7c1.gif

NAM is slowest at 500mb. UKMET and GDPS are the weakest

models-2024021006-f078.500hv.conus.thumb.gif.b8937d2fa5085ffc0a0cd3644234598b.gif

On a close in, detail basis, no consensus yet.  Waiting for NAM to speed up.

NAM seems to continuously be colder/more strung out than the rest... Are both of those things driven by the same factor, or does the NAM just interpret the surface depictions differently based on overall similar setups?

3 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

RGEM trend.

trend-rdps-2024021012-f078.snku_acc-imp.us_ne.gif

Hahaha bit concerning that the NAM is way south and weak too. But you have the gfs euro sref and gefs eps cmc ens all saying the game is on. So would be a fail of epic proportions if they blow this one with 60ish hours to start.

• THUMBS UP 1

Just now, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Ugh these Meso models - still not in range of course, yet yeesch horrible. 

Pity - after showing some promise in earlier events. I guess maybe those were fewer moving parts? 

Hopefully they are lost here but who knows there's 2 very different camps. 

Just now, HVSNOWSTORM said:

Hopefully they are lost here but who knows there's 2 very different camps. 

Probabilities.  Hard to wrap the brain around sometimes.  There's a 80% chance it will snow... but also 20% it doesn't.  There are several complete duds in the EPS package.  Goes back to my low end CTP map rant I guess.  lol  RGEM gives it some credence.

• LIKE 1

I guess if we thought we'd have more answers than questions with this 12z run, we were sadly mistaken.  ICON looks gross.  Wamer than 6z.  Of course, it's the ICON.  Guess we'll just wait for the 2 models we really care about anyways.

sn10_024h-prob01.us_ne (2).png

So you have

Most t north: ICON rain anyone south of NYPA border or so straight east

MIDDLE. : GFS EURO sref EPS GEFS CMC ENS 

South most: Rgem NAM

Considering still technically out of range and most consensus is the middle. I like NYC lower hudson valley Nnj. We'll see how it plays out. Totals looks to be lesser tho outside of the gfs euro ops.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, AceGikmo said:

NAM seems to continuously be colder/more strung out than the rest... Are both of those things driven by the same factor, or does the NAM just interpret the surface depictions differently based on overall similar setups?

It's a little slower compared to Euro/GFS/CMC.  I marked the center of the upper low with the pink L.  It's pretty strong, compared to the CMC and seems in line with the Euro/GFS there. It's even heading negative, more neutral here.

image.thumb.png.3ef9425b7f82e0d0c9d1fc40f19b946f.png

CMC is out in front of the NAM, negative but weaker.  Pink L is where NAM is.

image.thumb.png.cdf54e5bd4e2ba59218bffd277301468.png

Euro is in front of the NAM, maybe a tad stronger. Neutral tilt.

image.thumb.png.c363b76ce515ad9642aa916be29bd19a.png

GFS is in front, a little stronger.  Hard to see the L there but its on the WSW side of the low.

image.thumb.png.e8ea0da6c437e85eb35debd0bbedf551.png

The NAM starts off with the other models, but by 48hrs its falling behind.  Not sure why.

• LIKE 2

7 minutes ago, HVSNOWSTORM said:

So you have

Most t north: ICON rain anyone south of NYPA border or so straight east

MIDDLE. : GFS EURO sref EPS GEFS CMC ENS 

South most: Rgem NAM

Considering still technically out of range and most consensus is the middle. I like NYC lower hudson valley Nnj. We'll see how it plays out. Totals looks to be lesser tho outside of the gfs euro ops.

The Professor leans back in his recliner and takes another draw on his meerschaum pipe, and fondles his snifter of cognac. Thinks "I remember when they used to talk about me in glowing terms". "I used to be somebody", he thinks, as visions of past coups flicker through his memory, like a 12 hours candle in its 11th hours. He takes a sip of Henny and sighs. 

image.thumb.png.e0ef2bdf470ca1f05c7c6f11747a79a6.png

Edited by Undertakerson2.0
  • LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 1
  • THUMBS DOWN 1

7 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

The Professor leans back in his recliner and takes another draw on his meerschaum pipe, and fondles his snifter of cognac. Thinks "I remember when they used to talk about me in glowing terms". "I used to be somebody", he thinks, as visions of past coups flicker through his memory, like a 12 hours candle in its 11th hours. He takes a sip of Henny and sighs. 

image.thumb.png.e0ef2bdf470ca1f05c7c6f11747a79a6.png

The "professor" has had dementia for the past 3 years now. Not the teacher he used to be.

• Admin
12 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

It's a little slower compared to Euro/GFS/CMC.  I marked the center of the upper low with the pink L.  It's pretty strong, compared to the CMC and seems in line with the Euro/GFS there. It's even heading negative, more neutral here.

image.thumb.png.3ef9425b7f82e0d0c9d1fc40f19b946f.png

CMC is out in front of the NAM, negative but weaker.  Pink L is where NAM is.

image.thumb.png.cdf54e5bd4e2ba59218bffd277301468.png

Euro is in front of the NAM, maybe a tad stronger. Neutral tilt.

image.thumb.png.c363b76ce515ad9642aa916be29bd19a.png

GFS is in front, a little stronger.  Hard to see the L there but its on the WSW side of the low.

image.thumb.png.e8ea0da6c437e85eb35debd0bbedf551.png

The NAM starts off with the other models, but by 48hrs its falling behind.  Not sure why.

To me it looks like Convergence is causing the NAM to slow and gunk up. 

This is likely resolution and being too far out that is causing some feedback issues. 

• LIKE 3

6 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

sn10_024h-prob01.us_ne (2).png

In the several case studies of major EC snowstorms I've reviewed, that 850 track is prime for a CTP through NYC snow axis crush.

Difference here is that the crush jobs all had blocking downstream (NAO neg.) which we don't have in the least. Only some other mechanical slowing can do that here (such as not yet seen additional phase)

Without - we still still that axis. Just not Top 10 storm type numbers. 

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 2

Honestly after the last two years wouldn’t it just be nice to have a decent snow  Not major just 2-4” , 3-6” or 4-8 “.

This not directed  at any body. 

Just a general comment

Just now, Wtkidz said:

Honestly after the last two years wouldn’t it just be nice to have a decent snow  Not major just 2-4” , 3-6” or 4-8 “.

This not directed  at any body. 

Just a general comment

I would love a 4-8 type of wet snow ( no mix ) kids want to build a family of snowmen and last 2 snows were 2 dry . One b4 that ( built one ) melted 2 days later