February 12-13, 2024 | Winter Storm

MaineJay

4 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

3.5 days away from onset and the range imby is 0-12"

my rule is, and it usually works out well, to take the least snowiest model and cut it in half.  so I would say you can expect 1/2 of zero.  😁

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 4
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • BOMBOGENESIS 1

2 hours ago, JDClapper said:

Oh boy, hit the one in the middle and that would be like an I78 to I80 bullseye back here in PA. 

Where my boy @WeatherFlash  at? Haha

I'm lurking lol. Never like being anywhere near a modeled 🎯 

Edited by WeatherFlash
  • LIKE 2
  • DISAPPOINTED 1

17 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

For those concerned about cold. This is the 925mb layer (2500feet), which I'll use to demonstrate how it's getting cold, since it isn't affected too much by diurnal temp swings.

It's warm through Saturday, even reaching 10c imby.  Then you see the blues pushing into the area on Sunday.  This is well ahead of the storm.  By the end of the run, the storm is entering our area.  The blue you see coming down from the north is cold air advection from a cold front.  The blue you see starting around the storm dosn in Texas is the cold air that the storm itself generates.  

floop-gfs-2024020912.925th.conus.thumb.gif.b1aa6200d3c2d86d03051082d38cbdfe.gif

That’s a great example of why we like to see weak low pressure (stops from sucking too much warm air in) before the costal transfer, which should then kick in NE winds which typically bring cold air in. 

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Wow - CMC =  waaaay slower and colder

Crazy Drunkle was having a good year but fell off the wagon perhaps?

trend-gdps-2024020800-f132.prateptype-imp.conus.gif.9aaccb93bfb9c4083b965bd8fc9ab726.gif

• LIKE 1

Slight wiggle north for the GEFS but overall holding steady with general axis of heaviest precip. I'm riding on that pretty pink highway, but I have a feeling the best stuff will end up just to my north.

sn10_acc-mean-imp.conus.png

• LIKE 1
  • SNOWMAN 1

Kuchera vs caffeine free.  I usually don't use Kuchera much but when I do, it always shows a higher total than the caffeine free version.

This time, it is Kuchera showing less than the caffeine free version.  

image.thumb.png.d50f48fe9c7c38f5d5024141516000ad.png

image.thumb.png.373e188e750a6c0bc137420a0b86a9f9.png

• LIKE 1

Just now, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Tracking snow events - while on my back patio in February, with no coat on, and getting buzzed by a Honey Bee of all things. 

Beautiful 63 degrees at the house!

• LOVE 2

I will remind all Jan 3 2021 the day before my 13” snowstorm it was 63 and rainy. Setup different but it can happen.     So enjoy the warmth and snow if you get it….

• THUMBS UP 1