February 12-13, 2024 | Winter Storm

MaineJay

Yeah, last 4 runs of GFS has sped timing up. Verbatim, hammering snow before 7am in CPA, beginning by 7am about neat Stretchland.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_fh102_trend.gif

Edited by JDClapper

• Moderators

I keep rubbing my eyes, wondering if I spiked my coffee today, but the W&B GFS gave me a 36pc box of Godiva this morning.  

I think it loves me.

• LOVE 2

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

I always assume the start time will speed up an hour or two. Seems to always come in a little faster than its modelled, even on the short rangers

Unless dry ahead of it. But agree with just about all systems showing up early. 

• THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators

I dislike the "windshield wiper effect" being used as a rationale as to the movement of the storm track in models.  Just saying "oh it's just the windshield wiper effect" seems like a cop out, particularly for well established and well seasoned meteorologists.  This really is a good example of it though.   

trend-gfs-2024020800-f156.snku_acc-imp.us_ne.gif.e842861d09fabcdd833fbd35debd54cf.gif

To be honest, I don't think this is too bad of.a spread.  It consistently shows a storm, a snow storm at, that for about 2.5 days.  Just the axis of heaviest snow goes between BWI/DCA to ALB. But we are within 5 days now, so lets hone that down to say the MA/CT and NY/PA line to I 78.  

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 2

• Moderators

This skew is a good example of a heavy snow skew. Column is cold, the DGZ is small, between 15k and 17.7k feet, which isn't ideal. But the max omega occurs in that area, and it's a pretty good amount of omega. Might even have it at -8C at 850.  

Screenshot2024-02-09at8_44_51AM.png.09c273220cd4ec164cbf261d799186d5.png

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, NEPAsnow said:

anyone have 6Z euro info?

EPS Mean snow 10:1.  I mostly just pay attention to the max snow axis and how it shifts, not so much the exact amount imby.

trend-epsens-2024020906-f120.sn10_acc-mean-imp.us_ne.thumb.gif.ff02ca0a9ff015af4c3556a95eb262e7.gif

Same with GEFS which is here for comparison.  6z GEFS says 6Z GFS is wacked. 

image.gif.84bf88b8f94e313bf8adc8dd3a43cf64.gif

4 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

EPS Mean snow 10:1.  I mostly just pay attention to the max snow axis and how it shifts, not so much the exact amount imby.

trend-epsens-2024020906-f120.sn10_acc-mean-imp.us_ne.thumb.gif.ff02ca0a9ff015af4c3556a95eb262e7.gif

Oh boy, hit the one in the middle and that would be like an I78 to I80 bullseye back here in PA. 

Where my boy @WeatherFlash  at? Haha

Edited by JDClapper
  • LIKE 1

1 hour ago, StretchCT said:

Unless dry ahead of it. But agree with just about all systems showing up early. 

And LR NAM seems to take GFS faster progression and even speed it up a little more. Guessing due to a less deep ULL - not sure of the overall implications though.

ref1km_ptype.conus.png

• Social Media Crew
41 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

That's surprising to me.. love it.. but I can't possibly be in the bullseye. It just feels way too warm here. 

• LIKE 1

1 hour ago, George Acton said:

That makes most of MD also. Putting a fork in it. Come on spring.

Stop it. Theres 2 more storm in model LR on the horizon. After that I can see the urge for spring

5 minutes ago, Penn State said:

That's surprising to me.. love it.. but I can't possibly be in the bullseye. It just feels way too warm here. 

my question all along is how does it make it cold enough to support snow? The only answer we have RN is the dynamic processes during the thump part,  Also, for us anyway, time of day has to factor in. If overnight, then maybe decent accum

Edited by Undertakerson2.0
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Admin
1 minute ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

my question all along is how does it make it cold enough to support snow? The only answer we have RN is the dynamic processes during the thump part, 

• LAUGH 5