February 12-13, 2024 | Winter Storm

MaineJay

• Moderators

What perplexes me too is that just about every school in CT is closed tomorrow. Even Enfield, and Salisbury/Lakeville up at the MA line.  Why not wait like you normally do and call at 5 or 6am?  I mean I appreciate not getting that call tomorrow morning, but I'm not really getting the advantage of closing schools when there may be an inch of snow.

• THUMBS UP 2

Just now, StretchCT said:

What perplexes me too is that just about every school in CT is closed tomorrow. Even Enfield, and Salisbury/Lakeville up at the MA line.  Why not wait like you normally do and call at 5 or 6am?  I mean I appreciate not getting that call tomorrow morning, but I'm not really getting the advantage of closing schools when there may be an inch of snow.

I was very surprised to get the calls from my job and the kids school as early as I did but then heard the city made the call even earlier, idk

1 minute ago, StretchCT said:

No. Cause that made sense and worked back in the day. It’s like everything else now. 

3 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Sometimes that depends on what the guy down the shore, or in the kayak 20 yards away gets.  But yeah, I enjoy learning about these systems, usually regardless of what I get.  Until it's sunset and still nothing to bring home. 

I liked the earlier post about sending out the hurricane hunters which makes me wonder. Is this system more anomalous than what we usually see? We always see changes but this has to be in the 90th percentile for all the models and forecasters to be so off so near to the event. Why has this one been so difficult?

• LIKE 2

• Meteorologist
4 minutes ago, BossaNova said:

I liked the earlier post about sending out the hurricane hunters which makes me wonder. Is this system more anomalous than what we usually see? We always see changes but this has to be in the 90th percentile for all the models and forecasters to be so off so near to the event. Why has this one been so difficult?

One thing that could have thrown this all off is how the models have been handling the shortwave. Look at the placement of vorticity while there was still a southern piece in earlier model runs it was showing another portion much further north. That will cause the models to see a low much further north and thus a much further north precip shield. Notice how the vorticity is now more consolidated and further south in the newer runs. I haven't checked the other models yet but would presume they show similar.

Closed lows are rather difficult for models to handle whether over water or land.

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh18_trend.gif

Edited by so_whats_happening
  • LIKE 2

• Meteorologist
Just now, Anthonyweather said:

RRFD coming in HOT. And still snowing 

IMG_1708.png

IMG_1707.jpeg

Wow. They do struggle with the idea of rain to snow with such an expansive sleet region. I wouldn't be surprised if there are isolated areas of sleet as it transitions but it does not seem like one of those storms more of a rain or snow situation. That area of yellow may be some really globby snowflakes, like half dollar size stuff.

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, LongIslanGurlllll said:

I was very surprised to get the calls from my job and the kids school as early as I did but then heard the city made the call even earlier, idk

You're still in it though. Places like Enfield, Putnam, Salisbury its hard to find more than .3 of qpf. 

I averaged all these models for the output for Waterbury and it's 6.9" 10:1, which probably isn't far off. Still not bad.  Icon was still 13, UKMET was 0.4

Screenshot2024-02-12at9_36_00PM.thumb.png.753501904b1c076ec490c48c5d2f2c11.png

14 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

sn10_024h-prob01.us_ne (2).png

4qy8j8.jpg

Thanks for posting these JD, very helpful. I don't like the results of what's happening for some with reduced snow totals expected, but I love this "in game" analysis of what's happening with various pieces. It's like a football coach breaking down a video of a play that just happened in the game. Very cool

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 2

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Rickrd said:

No. Cause that made sense and worked back in the day. It’s like everything else now. 

Back in the day... we got that phone call a few weeks ago.  Delay and cancelation. 

• THUMBS UP 1

I'm down to 38, was forecasted to be 42. Not sure how long it will rain but I think once rates pick up temps will plummet. Southern morris County here. Think I can do really well. Wouldn't be surprised getting 10+ out of this.

• SNOWMAN 2

12 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

One thing that could have thrown this all off is how the models have been handling the shortwave. Look at the placement of vorticity while there was still a southern piece in earlier model runs it was showing another portion much further north. That will cause the models to see a low much further north and thus a much further north precip shield. Notice how the vorticity is now more consolidated and further south in the newer runs. I haven't checked the other models yet but would presume they show similar.

Closed lows are rather difficult for models to handle whether over water or land.

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh18_trend.gif

Didn't Bernie Rayno toss the Euro because of that weird little piece? 

• Social Media Crew

We’re down to 41° here.. slow and steady drop, but not enough to make me feel great about the transition. T-minus 4 hours.. don’t want to waste that heavy precip! 

• Moderators

Would being 3 degrees colder than the NAM3km at 10pm be a good thing or bad? Here's how the temp was modeled v actual. Keep in mind the HRRR and RAP run every hour.

NAM3k +3

HRRR 0

RAP +1

FV3 +2

RDPS 0

RFFS 0

ICON +3

Euro +2

GFS +2

Normally I'd be happy to be colder. 

• SNOWMAN 1