February 12-13, 2024 | Winter Storm

MaineJay

I can tell you that LI is not prepared for any significant snow.  Just came home from Ace Hardware and the supermarket - empty.  No one out getting supplies and food.  Saw no landscapers gassing up at the gas station either.  My snowblower did start after almost 20 pulls and fuel priming.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

Just now, longislander said:

I can tell you that LI is not prepared for any significant snow.  Just came home from Ace Hardware and the supermarket - empty.  No one out getting supplies and food.  Saw no landscapers gassing up at the gas station either.  My snowblower did start after almost 20 pulls and fuel priming.

Kickoff the change to all rain in 3, 2, 1.... 🤪

• LIKE 1
  • SHOCKED 1
  • MELTING 1
  • BOMBOGENESIS 1

Just now, Undertakerson2.0 said:

I'm sorry but 

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA (gasp, chortle, wheeze) ahahahahahahahahahahaa

trend-ecmwf_full-2024021112-f084.sn10_acc-imp.us_ma.gif

Craziness.  We were going through similar issues back in the OV thread.......

• LIKE 1

3 minutes ago, Anthonyweather said:

There’s gonna be some really bad forecasts.

tough stuff 

All models vs euro/UK. 

Also be sure to stick to walking on concrete and not the grass as wet grass is very hard to maintain footing as proved in this weather channel training video.

• FACEPALM 1

12 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

I laugh if one more move and this is all off the coast. In fact, after seeing new Euro, i'm already laughing

That too, won't be the first time we have had the rug pulled out from under us with these models. 

• Meteorologist
1 minute ago, Anthonyweather said:

At this range. Like how. I’m throughly confused 

IMG_1681.png

IMG_1682.png

I do know these transition storm are some of the hardest to forecast for. But that is just something else. Very spring like system. 

• THUMBS UP 1

Just now, Anthonyweather said:

Like how. I’m throughly confused 

IMG_1681.png

IMG_1682.png

I'd assume that, since there is only one frame of the Euro that captures the snow for almost the entire area, the snow map is highly interpolated and neglects the rapidly arriving and departing snowfall. TLDR - it's not high enough resolution

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

4 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

I'm sorry but 

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA (gasp, chortle, wheeze) ahahahahahahahahahahaa

trend-ecmwf_full-2024021112-f084.sn10_acc-imp.us_ma.gif

One of the biggest busts this close to onset i can think of. Wowzers. No sign of stopping the trend either..

Just now, so_whats_happening said:

I do know these transition storm are some of the hardest to forecast for. But that is just something else. Very spring like system. 

I mentioned earlier (while you were resting after work) that's it's as if forecasting for April. 

• LIKE 1

1 minute ago, AceGikmo said:

I'd assume that, since there is only one frame of the Euro that captures the snow for almost the entire area, the snow map is highly interpolated and neglects the rapidly arriving and departing snowfall. TLDR - it's not high enough resolution

This goes along with following mesos this close in - they tend to focus hour per hour instead of jumping at 3-6hr (and up to 12 in extended)

I had not considered that - will have to ponder it

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

Just now, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Or, we go back to the old rules and stop looking at euro’s and such, and rely more on nam and short rangers.

I can remember having a personal creedo of ignoring all models inside of 30 hours - at that point, real time RAP and radar did well enough. 

NYCSuburbs used to give me grief when I'd say so. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

2 minutes ago, HVSNOWSTORM said:

No matter what happens the euro did horrible here. Either with everyone else where it totally changed in the final 48 or because it's totally wrong now.

Yeah my impression for this entire season has been that the gap between the Euro and GFS has drastically shrunk and, at this point, I consider them equally when looking at the modeling landscape

• Admin
20 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

It's not simply a snow axis move, it's an overall drying and speed increase trend (on that model) 

trend-ecmwf_full-2024021200-f048.qpf_acc-imp.us_ma.gif

Euro looks to not phase cleanly and thus not allow for the intensification which would be needed for those amounts being pumped out earlier.