February 12-13, 2024 | Winter Storm

MaineJay

2 minutes ago, Rickrd said:

Looks about the same to me. More QPF though and also slightly colder for our southern peeps.

Totals for just about all of MD are down a bit, but still more than we expected

• LIKE 1

1 minute ago, Gettysburger said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the GFS not that accurate this close to the storm starting?

Yes and no.....

wrf-arw2_asnow_neus_35.png

• LIKE 1
  • THINKING 1

Just as an aside, and I know I'm an idiot for doing this, I flipped up discord for the first time in forever to see how the 33andrain crew are doing. Do you think that most of them know that places on the face of the earth exist outside of NYC and NNJ? 

• LIKE 3

Just now, c8pjp said:

Just as an aside, and I know I'm an idiot for doing this, I flipped up discord for the first time in forever to see how the 33andrain crew are doing. Do you think that most of them know that places on the face of the earth exist outside of NYC and NNJ? 

Haven't been lurking there since I called them out about some insane post regarding NYC Snow a few years back. Guy's knowledgeable but his ego gets in the way of clarity. Does he still curse on his videos like a tough guy? 🤡

• LAUGH 1

8 minutes ago, Gettysburger said:

Accuweather cracks me up. They just posted our WSW with potential for 5” plus, but their “winter cast” says 80% chance a no accumulation. 🤦🏼‍♂️ 

That is because they're more accurate with rain as shown in their training video here

• LAUGH 1

3 minutes ago, c8pjp said:

What r u talking about?  There is nothing beyond NY and NJ besides trees and deserts.

• THINKING 1
  • LAUGH 1

10 minutes ago, Gettysburger said:

Accuweather cracks me up. They just posted our WSW with potential for 5” plus, but their “winter cast” says 80% chance a no accumulation. 🤦🏼‍♂️ 

Same damn thing here. LOL

Boy, not an easy forecast. But for the mid apps with a storm strengthening and a changeover, you have to favor the normal snowy areas. Need that elevation to cool quicker and get some real accumulation. 1500' is always a good bet. Cumberland valley sure seems like it will take time to change over, and I'm leary of areas east of south mountain below the turnpike changing over quickly. I'll bet they do better with accums than the cumberland valey, but time will tell. A fun one to watch here at zero hour. Also NWS is keeping skyline drive accums down, I'll bet that will change above 2000'. In MD/WV 1500' always seems to be the magic # and it sure seems you have to get to 2000' in VA. Especially to partake in some upslope fun. 

image.thumb.png.9a14c916f2a01d37ac691ce3ad68d032.png

Edited by MDBlueridge
  • LIKE 2
  • TROPHY 1

1 minute ago, LongIslanGurlllll said:

For me anything outside LI doesn’t exist …..except if there are palm trees 

I believe that's anyone who lives on Long Island. 

Edited by MDBlueridge
  • LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 3

5 minutes ago, c8pjp said:

Its definitely an NYC type of forum. Wxsphere is more interior people so that's kinda where I prefer to post. I use both though.

• THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, c8pjp said:

I was surprised at that as well.  We skew towards PA and midWest with a scattering of elsewhere in the NEMA.  They are primarily NY/NJ.  Not even CT.  I can't follow them on Discord.

Just now, Blizz said:

Its definitely an NYC type of forum. Wxsphere is more interior people so that's kinda where I prefer to post. I use both though.

Yeah don't care for their layout and the NY/NJ only.  I like this place way better.  And at least threads are sectioned off in areas you want to pay attention to.

• LIKE 1

2 minutes ago, MDBlueridge said:

I believe that's anyone who lives on Long Island. 

Quite a few people here are like that.  If they venture off the island it is to NYC and back.  

10 minutes ago, Gettysburger said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the GFS not that accurate this close to the storm starting?

Perhaps. But better to use shorter range, higher resolution models now.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2