February 12-13, 2024 | Winter Storm

MaineJay

• Social Media Crew
4 minutes ago, Rickrd said:

lol. 0z Euro. 
unbelievable. 
going to be done pissed off people and very happy people! LMAO!

IMG_8968.png

All I know.. there’s going to be egg on the faces of local weather. ABC 27 has me in “mostly rain” and lead Mets have pretty much mocked this threat since the beginning. Might be time for them to adjust.. 

• THUMBS UP 1

Just now, Penn State said:

All I know.. there’s going to be egg on the faces of local weather. ABC 27 has me in “mostly rain” and lead Mets have pretty much mocked this threat since the beginning. Might be time for them to adjust.. 

ya. They will spin it. Blame it on climate change and models are having a tough time to adjust for it. lol. 

• LAUGH 1

• Social Media Crew
Just now, Rickrd said:

ya. They will spin it. Blame it on climate change and models are having a tough time to adjust for it. lol. 

My argument.. Just don’t be so smug about it. They acted like know-it-alls.. I had folks ask me about this last week and I straight up said.. this one is wide open. Usually I feel like I have a read, but not here. I leaned towards experience, which told me warmer, but sometimes you just have to be patient and let things play out.  

• LIKE 2

• Social Media Crew
2 minutes ago, Penn State said:

My argument.. Just don’t be so smug about it. They acted like know-it-alls.. I had folks ask me about this last week and I straight up said.. this one is wide open. Usually I feel like I have a read, but not here. I leaned towards experience, which told me warmer, but sometimes you just have to be patient and let things play out.  

You know.. and thinking about this, my experience is that starting warm and getting cool is tough. But.. it’s tough when that cold has to come over the ridges from the west. It seeps down from the north through the valleys much easier and this is a rapidly intensifying low pressure that hastens the process. Those 850s are going to crash. We’ll see what happens, but I’m feeling more confident each cycle here. 

• Social Media Crew
3 minutes ago, Rickrd said:

Do they just read numbers off a computer now? Isn’t there guys who look at patterns, maps, history?  

I hope so.. maybe their app told them this lol 

• LAUGH 1

1 minute ago, Penn State said:

You know.. and thinking about this, my experience is that starting warm and getting cool is tough. But.. it’s tough when that cold has to come over the ridges from the west. It seeps down from the north through the valleys much easier and this is a rapidly intensifying low pressure that hastens the process. Those 850s are going to crash. We’ll see what happens, but I’m feeling more confident each cycle here. 

Agree. But isn’t that or shouldn’t that be factored in to models, or is that yo fine and it takes a person to interpret it? I just don’t know. 

• LIKE 1

1 hour ago, Penn State said:

If the Euro ends up even close to being right, what a complete model miss... unbelievably bad... we have winter storm warnings in locations where the Euro has 0 snowfall at all

• THUMBS UP 1

.LONG TERM /TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY/...
KEY MESSAGES:

- A system will bring heavy snowfall to portions of central
  Pennsylvania Monday night into early Tuesday, with the most
  likely axis of heaviest snow across the north-central part of
  the state.

- Considerable uncertainty remains with regards to transition
  timing from rain/snow across southern PA and heaviest snowfall
  potential across western Pennsylvania.

Snipped from spoiler: still can`t rule out significant snow as far south as the I-81 corridor based on the latest southern shift in the models.

Spoiler

Model consensus tracks a deepening surface across Southern Virginia to the Delmarva Peninsula Monday night, placing the southern half of Pennsylvania in the bullseye for the heaviest precipitation associated with strong warm advection and upper level diffluence north of the low track. A dual jet streak structure favors a region of enhanced fgen forcing in this region north of the low track. Model cross section analyses are also indicating a good instability signature between 06Z-15Z Tuesday, with a layer of negative EPV located in the layer just above the frontogenesis.

This scenario supports the potential of an intense band of snow with 1-2 inch/hour rates along the northern periphery of the precip shield late Monday night into early Tuesday. As for ptype, model consensus currently points to an initial period or rain across much of the region, followed by a north to south changeover to snow late Monday night in association with dynamic/evaporative cooling initially, then cold advection on the northwest periphery of the exiting low. Although this scenario definitely supports the possibility for a period of heavy snow across a large portion of Central PA, there remains some model spread in the exact low track, which could alter exactly where the heaviest precipitation falls. The 18Z EPS for instance now tracks the surface low a bit further south, which could result in the heaviest precipitation falling over extreme Southern PA and shift the axis of heaviest snow from just north of I-80 to just south of it. Marginal surface temperatures and uncertainty where the potential CSI banding occurs argues for riding the current Winter Storm Watch over much of the region. S

Likewise, current model spread and a tight precipitation gradient on the northern periphery of the storm could result in the NW Mtns escaping with only minor snow accumulation. Latest guidance indicates the back edge of the snow/rain will likely exit the southeast part of the forecast area around midday Tuesday. Deep cyclonic flow in the wake of Tuesday`s storm should result in blustery conditions with lake-enhanced, upslope snow showers across the western Alleghenies Tuesday PM into Wed AM. Upper level ridging is progged to build in Wed PM into Thu AM, supplying fair and seasonable conditions. The bulk of guidance continues to track a clipper north of PA late Thursday, which could be accompanied by a period of light snow north and rain or snow south Thursday night before

• Moderators

What’s the width of the 6”+ area? 100 miles at best?  Nearly the tip of NJ to nearly Ocean county can’t be that far. If you rotate CT it’s longer than the width of the 6” area. Or LI for that matter. A 20 mile shift then is huge. And it’s not like the models are all the same or run to run consistent. Tough job being a met. 
IMG_1954.thumb.png.ba6283c19a5180b7611b88807f0e56a7.png

• THUMBS UP 2

• Moderators

Upton is catching on. Expanded the warning area. Put the rest into a watch for 5-8.  

Spoiler
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service New York NY
303 AM EST Mon Feb 12 2024

NJZ006-106>108-NYZ072>075-078>081-176>179-122115-
/O.NEW.KOKX.WS.A.0003.240213T0900Z-240213T2300Z/
Hudson-Eastern Essex-Western Union-Eastern Union-
New York (Manhattan)-Bronx-Richmond (Staten Island)-
Kings (Brooklyn)-Northwest Suffolk-Northeast Suffolk-
Southwest Suffolk-Southeast Suffolk-Northern Queens-
Northern Nassau-Southern Queens-Southern Nassau-
303 AM EST Mon Feb 12 2024

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY
AFTERNOON...

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 5 to 8
  inches possible. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph.

* WHERE...Portions of northeast New Jersey and southeast New
  York.

* WHEN...From late tonight through Tuesday afternoon.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. The hazardous
  conditions could impact the morning or evening commute.

*ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Snowfall amounts will depend on how quickly
 rain transitions over to snow. At this time, this looks to be
 around daybreak Tuesday.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

IMG_1955.png

• LIKE 1

• Admin

GYX 

After several model cycles that brought subsequential northward
shifts in the track of the upcoming coastal system... the 00Z
model suite has made a notable shift south. This is seen across
global models and ensembles as well as mesoscale models. This
southward shift has delayed the onset of snowfall with
accumulating snowfall now likely to start around 12Z Tuesday
along the NH/MA border. The southward shift also resulted in
less QPF and snowfall across the area with the heaviest snowfall
now focused south of the NH/MA border. The current forecast now
brings 5 to 9 inches across the southern tier of zones in NH
into far southern York County with locally higher amounts along
the NH/MA border. The sharp south to north gradient in moisture
has become even sharper with the latest guidance. Snow amounts
now drop off to only a couple of inches from the Lakes region of
NH towards Sebago Lake and little to no accumulation in the
foothills and mountains.

There continues to be a significant amount of convection occurring
with this system now over the Gulf Coast and Southeast so there is
lower than normal confidence in whether the current track continues
to trend southward, stabilizes, or shifts back north. As the onset
on snowfall has been delayed until around day break Tuesday and the
potential for additional track shifts, have decided to hold onto the
Winter Storm Watch for this forecast package. At this time the
heaviest snow looks to occur from 9 AM to around 3 PM when the
00Z HREF shows high probabilities of snowfall rates greater than
1 inch per hour across southern NH in coastal York County. Snow
will taper off from west to east Tuesday evening. In addition
to the heavy snowfall rates, northeast winds gusting 25 to 30
mph across southern NH and coastal SW Maine will lead to reduced
visibility in blowing snow. These Northeast winds along with
tides coming off their astronomical peak today will also bring
the threat for minor to moderate coastal flooding and have
issued a coastal flood watch for the Tuesday afternoon high tide
with more details in the Tides and Coastal Flood section below.