February 5-8, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm Speculation

Penn State

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Man it’s been a day. My club in chaos, fighting with the evil empire Google- who preaches it’s all about the customer experience, except i’m a paying customer and it’s not, so trying to scroll back. Wha happened to the unicorn Omega Block?

It collapses, the two anchor lows combine over the DelMarva and we get socked in for 4 days of snow.

• LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 1
  • LOVE 2

13 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

It collapses, the two anchor lows combine over the DelMarva and we get socked in for 4 days of snow.

CT...  if people only knew how close that statement is----- depicted by todays runs 🎩

BEST dang post since I have been on here

loving the relaxed vibe with some sarcastic Wish-casting from the Mod squad!!!!

Edited by Doorman
  • LIKE 2
  • SNOWMAN 1

Since it is a touch slow in here , thought i would post my first long range forecast(psst; it’s a little too grumpy in the long range thread to do it there): 

“ Due to the continued mid to strong El Ninja, PNA, DNA, NAO, AOAO, MOJO, ENSO states, historically this should lead to the continuation of suicidal cloudiness through at least March Madness. There may be a brief period of mostly cloudy around Feb  11-12 as we have a ‘tweener” window, and then a less certain chance of variably cloudy as we climb out of the deepest abyss around Feb 26 . Despite the dented, can crushed MOJO possibly morphing around that time, we should still have a pretty good window of soul sucking clouds to dominate into early to 2nd week of March.”

First try, so comments welcome , but go easy.

• LIKE 1
  • WOW 1
  • LAUGH 3
  • TROPHY 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Since it is a touch slow in here , thought i would post my first long range forecast(psst; it’s a little too grumpy in the long range thread to do it there): 

“ Due to the continued mid to strong El Ninja, PNA, DNA, NAO, AOAO, MOJO, ENSO states, historically this should lead to the continuation of suicidal cloudiness through at least March Madness. There may be a brief period of mostly cloudy around Feb  11-12 as we have a ‘tweener” window, and then a less certain chance of variably cloudy as we climb out of the deepest abyss around Feb 26 . Despite the dented, can crushed MOJO possibly morphing around that time, we should still have a pretty good window of soul sucking clouds to dominate into early to 2nd week of March.”

El Ninja!  Love it!🤣

21 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

MoJo JoJo. If you know, you know.

Mojo_Jojo.gif

• LAUGH 1

42 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

El Ninja!  Love it!🤣

Funny thing Stretch, i have talked much with 3 snow bird golf friends that do winters in Fla, one in far SE , two SE of Tampa, and they all said coldest Dec to present in years. Almost non- stop. Weird, cuz we have had a few cold snaps in January, but overall Dec-Jan been kind of above normal . They haven’t even golfed or beached it much. So you would think we would be froze out . 

• SHOCKED 1

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Funny thing Stretch, i have talked much with 3 snow bird golf friends that do winters in Fla, one in far SE , two SE of Tampa, and they all said coldest Dec to present in years. Almost non- stop. Weird, cuz we have had a few cold snaps in January, but overall Dec-Jan been kind of above normal . They haven’t even golfed or beached it much. So you would think we would be froze out . 

Weather center is closed so I can’t check  but my guess is anything close to normal compared to the last few years would feel cold. IMG_1663.thumb.png.946541901f590a8dedbca16fc5a97b9f.png

• THUMBS UP 1

• The title was changed to February 5-8, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm Speculation
7 hours ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

acf7f3b66739f9ddeab79725671c1d65.thumb.jpg.aa6c80083aa6ebc35616a3d1a3ab774b.jpg

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 2

WPC disco

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdepd

The guidance average looks good for the system tracking across the
Southeast, with the UKMET consistently on the southern side of the
spread. Over the past day a new complication has developed
regarding the ultimate evolution/track of this system over the
western Atlantic, as the GFS/CMC now are much more aggressive to
dig trough energy south through New England and beyond by Tuesday
onward. Those solutions result in a farther north track and
greater wind impacts (if not even some precipitation) along the
northern East Coast. Teleconnections relative to positive height
anomalies forecast over southern Canada, as well as the 12Z
ECMWF-initialized ML models, do not favor upper troughing as close
to the East Coast as what the GFS/GEFS suggest--but also upper
ridging perhaps not reaching quite as close to New England as in
the ECMWF/ECMWF mean. Thus a compromise looks reasonable at this time

5dayfcst500diff_wbg.gif

enjoy your tracking today

Edited by Doorman

LWX says  nothing to see.  Of course this may change. 

&&

.LONG TERM /SUNDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...
The mid-Atlantic region is expected to be in an upper level
convergent pattern in between a cutoff low over the NW Atlantic
and an upper ridge over the Upper Midwest and Great Lks through
much of next week. A deep cutoff low in the southern stream is
expected to remain well south and move across the Southeast and
FL with no impacts to our area. Given the upper level convergent
pattern expected, dry conditions are expected over the next 7
days. Seasonably cool conditions are expected through the first
half of next week with a warming trend expected during the
second half as heights rise and upper ridge axis builds toward
the Atlantic coast.