February 5-8, 2024 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm Speculation

Penn State

1 hour ago, Wtkidz said:

Holds same for the day….floop-gfs-2024013018.prateptype_cat-imp.conus.gif.9d8335969ab7fcd12bccab65704b6145.gif

What the.

Not sure if that model run is drunk or I am

Pt: 

Since this bad weather started, my wife hasn't stopped staring through the patio windows.

If it gets any worse, I might have to let her in..

Edited by 1816
  • FACEPALM 1
  • LAUGH 3
  • BOMBOGENESIS 1

• Social Media Crew

@MaineJay The other day you mentioned AI.. and I mentioned that I use Graph Cast. Ryan Maue posted its performance.. and it looks like it outperforms the Euro and GFS. Not by much.. but interesting graphic nevertheless. 
IMG_0964.thumb.jpeg.011edc6a2914dd998e3903f17d42031d.jpeg

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

NN (cool talk for Neg NAO) coming gang. Keep the faith. And where we want it. Wood city. And when it comes, i shall be even more annoying than i already am, if that is even possible 😎. No planes or ships will he allowed too far north. Phasing works actually. Storms move slower. Pretty millibar looks. Region wide opportunities . Suppression whines plentiful. Serious cutoffs. Backend snows. UT posts actually making sense. Late kicker vorts that always miss the kick. NAM goal post moving out of its sweet spot needle posts will abound. MJ giving one of his dendrite posts that no one fackin understands . Endless “ big ones always move north” posts. Clap brings back the legendary Clapper Tracker. PARD is positive , happy, content , and hasn’t cuffed the entire state. RT dusts off old, old speedo. Pimple ass, fat, sweaty SE ridge stuffed in the cooler. 
NEG NAO utopia baby!! Haven’t had one when we wanted it in years. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2
  • LOVE 3

• Admin

Wilmington NC disco.

LONG TERM /FRIDAY THROUGH TUESDAY/...
A cold front slides through on Friday with just about zero moisture
flux preceding its arrival. As such not only will its passage be
rain-free but the small increase in cloud cover depicted in some
guidance likely generous. A noticeable warmup will precede the
front, afternoon temperatures winding up about 10 above climo. In its
wake temperatures will be close to normal over the weekend with
surface high pressure remaining centered north of the US/Canadian
border and only a weak ridge axis poking into the SE (precluding
strong CAA locally). The upper pattern will be featuring a bit of a
squeeze play as upper ridge initially over western Great Lakes gets
undercut by GOMEX jet and at the same time a large cutoff remains
stationary off New England Coast. The Gulf system will have a
surface reflection moving due east while what`s left of the ridge
axis and the New England low work together to suppress its path to the
south. Models are congealing on how this pans out though a few
refinements seem likely it appears that a large gradient of both
POPs and QPF are in store for the area late Sunday through Monday.
This system also looks like a good setup for coastal flooding at
area beaches for a few tide cycles coupled with some high surf and
thus minor beach erosion, the latter hopefully minimized by a very
small tidal range through the event. Previous thinking was that dry
air would return by Tuesday but will hold on to low POPs as guidance
trending slower, most notably the EC.

12 Z  GFS 

to my untrained eye the high pressure days you can come north but I want to bring cold air. Then high pressure  says I was just kidding about coming north.  Along the coast. 

floop-gfs-2024013112.prateptype_cat-imp.conus.gif

Edited by Wtkidz

5 minutes ago, GregRups said:

12z CMC came north as well. Not as far as GFS a nice start

This is a new wrinkle on the models.  Previously the SLP meandered off the SC, GA, FL coasts for 36 to 48 hours then exited almost due east.  Now looking at the GFS and CMC it appears to head NE after looping around the SE coast.   While it is heading NE it really moves slow also. 

4 minutes ago, Paletitsnow63 said:

This is a new wrinkle on the models.  Previously the SLP meandered off the SC, GA, FL coasts for 36 to 48 hours then exited almost due east.  Now looking at the GFS and CMC it appears to head NE after looping around the SE coast.   While it is heading NE it really moves slow also. 

It's pretty remarkable that, aloft (H5) the storm of tomorrow that exits the coast, goes to near 50/50 and before it then moves along, it leaves behind a tiny piece of itself. That tiny piece becomes my "pick up line" I referenced yesterday. 

Because the low of Friday, does not linger - it misses the connection to the one we're discussing here. Thus, not being dragged along by the nose, "our" vort max energy stays behind as well. The left behind piece to the N of there then picks up the whole bundle and, since it lost the main steering jets by then, is much slower to move along. 

• LIKE 2
  • TROPHY 1

16 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

It's pretty remarkable that, aloft (H5) the storm of tomorrow that exits the coast, goes to near 50/50 and before it then moves along, it leaves behind a tiny piece of itself. That tiny piece becomes my "pick up line" I referenced yesterday. 

Because the low of Friday, does not linger - it misses the connection to the one we're discussing here. Thus, not being dragged along by the nose, "our" vort max energy stays behind as well. The left behind piece to the N of there then picks up the whole bundle and, since it lost the main steering jets by then, is much slower to move along. 

Now, yesterday, I posited along those lines - showed the trend that the "50/50 low", as it moved on,  was less and less influential to the coastal low. What I didn't see, and doubt few if any also did, was this idea of a "baby" to the 50/50, becoming on its own, an item of affinity for "our" system. 

Additionally, I would imagine that the once present combined High/Low "squashing" (which I never liked that explanation btw) to the south is less impactful - allow room up the coast.

This is what can result if that trend goes to a more extreme. It also introduces the prospect that we've not yet seen the last iteration of the outcome (or is that the provisional outcome). Uncertainty within our ability to capture even with computer models abounds in "oxbow" flow (as I sometimes call Omega Block) 

Is it correct and if so, to what extent is it correct? I have no clue - beyond it does keep things "interesting" for the time being. 

Edited by Undertakerson2.0
  • LIKE 2

36 minutes ago, Doorman said:

500a.png.a5562d43f37cb153fd4ae2ace1da86f7.pngsa.png.c24544790be4691f7b7d07007f8f5a24.png

vibes

Trivia -what do  Babe Ruth  Ronald Reagan  Bob Marley  DM have in common?????

Trivia -what do  Babe Ruth  Ronald Reagan  Bob Marley  DM have in common?????

You are all Aquarians

As are some of my favorite people.

Well those of you who were not on Death Valley Days anyway. 

I used to bet my step dad $1 on his b'day every year. He said it snowed on his birthday every year - I bet him it did not.  I lost many dollars over the years. 

Third edit - yes, stepdad's b'day was also Feb 6

Edited by Undertakerson2.0
  • LIKE 1

2 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

You are all Aquarians

And some of my favorite people.

Well those of you who were not on Death Valley Days anyway. 

Feb 6th B-day  - All  Left Handed

True

------------

Nice write ups this morning UT....

premature extrapolation aside  LMAO 

• LAUGH 1