January 27-28, 2024 Ohio Valley/GL/MW Somewhat of a Winter Storm

BuckeyeGal

• Moderators
2 hours ago, BuckeyeGal said:

Once again a low on the WV border and we’re too warm. 🤬

BG, did you write this AFD for CLE?

Both the surface low and 850mb low will be tracking northeastward near the Ohio River Sunday morning. This storm track would be favorable for decent snowstorm for our area if we had colder air for this system to work with.

• FACEPALM 1
  • LAUGH 3

5 minutes ago, mafa said:

We need a stronger system too. A 1005 low is t going to create its own dynamic cooling 😕

Maybe 1002 low can create a little more dynamic cooling................ Keep the faith, There's always next year!

• Moderators

CLE and DTW are starting to give into the some of the "machine" solutions! (No mention of accums by ILN or IWX.)

CLE:

Modest CAA, the wet-bulb effect, and strong dynamic cooling on the backside of the low should allow the rain to mix with or change to wet snow overnight tonight in/near our I-75 corridor counties. The snow may be heavy at times since some model forecast soundings depict moderate to strong, maximized ascent within a cloudy DGZ about 1 km deep. Several inches of wet snow may accumulate quickly overnight tonight in/near our I-75 corridor counties. If this signal persists in subsequent cycles of forecast model guidance, our official snowfall forecast will have to be increased in the aforementioned area.

DTW:

As usual, will depend on precip rates, and with the favorable night time setting, will allow for a 1-2" wet snow accumulation on colder surfaces/snow boards along the I-94 corridor. This location looks to be where there is just enough cold air and better lift, potentially even enough to support an isolated 3" total.