January 27-28, 2024 Ohio Valley/GL/MW Somewhat of a Winter Storm

BuckeyeGal

DTX only mentions the possibilty of maybe a very small portion of Monroe county may get brushed with a little something, but they aren't onboard for anything big.

Winter was last week. Now, the weather will just be annoying.

• LIKE 2

• Moderators

A check of the 4 NWS offices AFDs that might be affected in the OV, only the Northern IN office mentions the possibilities of light accums on grassy surfaces.  🤮

• SAD 1

1 hour ago, BuckeyeGal said:

This storm would've been a classic for our area with normal winter temps.

models-2024012506-f090.sn10_acc-imp.us_ov.gif.27c78645afb2941993eabfee7d14338b.gif

How long is the recurring cycle?  I remember reading something about that on forums past-is that a thing, where storms come back around?  Every 6 weeks/45 days?  Maybe we'll have cold air the first/second week of March?  

• Admin
42 minutes ago, Wnwniner said:

How long is the recurring cycle?  I remember reading something about that on forums past-is that a thing, where storms come back around?  Every 6 weeks/45 days?  Maybe we'll have cold air the first/second week of March?  

I’m not sure, but we can certainly hope.

• Admin

The GFS continues to insist on a colder, stronger scenario, bringing a heavy swath of wet snow to central/Eastern Indiana and NW/W Ohio. The other models agree that there will be snow on the NW side of the system.. but not nearly in the amount the GFS is showing. Will wait to show a comparison until the Euro runs.

• LIKE 1

15 minutes ago, BuckeyeGal said:

The GFS continues to insist on a colder, stronger scenario, bringing a heavy swath of wet snow to central/Eastern Indiana and NW/W Ohio. The other models agree that there will be snow on the NW side of the system.. but not nearly in the amount the GFS is showing. Will wait to show a comparison until the Euro runs.

The main difference is that the GFS is 2-3 degrees colder in that 'cold sector' band of precip. If GFS temps can verify along with most of the heavier precip falling during the night, I can see a narrow zone of 2-3"+ of wet snow. The 6"+ totals on some of the GFS runs are most likely pure fantasy.

• LIKE 2

seeing the ECM/GFS with the higher totals vs. anything else with a higher resolution leads me to lean towards the short rangers. Definitely watching the models being in NW central OH, but its more of a I check them when I remember every few hours vs. a normal storm of refreshing the next frame every 30 seconds 😄 

sn10_acc-mean-imp.us_ma.png

image.thumb.png.4c30fdf08e376f0277370f2ac7aa23f5.png

image.png

• LIKE 1

• Admin
34 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

18z NAM looks GFS-ish with snow amounts & slightly cooler temps than other models. 

Just came to say this. ICON is also matching it. Whoever gets that band will get a smack of white paste. Sloppy but fun.

• LIKE 1

Just now, junior said:

Hmm smells like white rain to me. Lucky ones would paste but need good returns for some local dynamic cooling. 

100% agree on white rain for what falls during the day - I've seen some of these marginal night-time events overproduce in my lifetime though. This one has a chance, albeit for a very narrow area. 

• Admin
3 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

18z GFS coming in weaker/warmer than previous runs

Actually ended up with similar spot for the pasting, just less and warmer like you said.