January 28-29, 2024 Mid-Atl/NE Winter Storm Potential

4 hours ago, JDClapper said:

I dunno.. EPS has ~25% chance of measurable white in interior PA for Sunday.  Chances aren't 0!  haha

png1.png

That is known as a non zero chance

• LIKE 1
  • CYCLONE 1

24 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Still a ways to go.  Ukie, ECMWF, GFS, NAVY

Screenshot2024-01-22at9_23_24PM.thumb.png.860937d616f7bc39b4606e713a44eea6.png

Screenshot2024-01-22at9_22_00PM.thumb.png.c922b9f3e30142032de0270eaf3648b4.png

Couple of the looks there are getting that high in the ballpark , but geez we have like 3 storms to plow through here first: small one tomorrow, little bigger one Wed, then pretty decent one Friday. Has to change the playing field for this one. That’s one serious weather pattern- 4 in 6 days 😀

• THUMBS UP 1

Fine by me - others won't like it very much

Without the one big storm idea, this threat is waning quickly so far as wintery precip goes. The two parcels idea just won't bring in enough cold air - not without the Arctic jet being involved, not without the storm being able to pull down cold air aloft. 

Sill a chance for the NE crew it seems, otherwise not so much

image.thumb.png.cdf993366a512be65149a01cb850b8f5.png

• Admin
11 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Without the one big storm idea, this threat is waning quickly so far as wintery precip goes. The two parcels idea just won't bring in enough cold air - not without the Arctic jet being involved, not without the storm being able to pull down cold air aloft. 

Looks a lot like the EPS EFI

ens_2024012300_ne_24h_sfi_SFC_144.thumb.png.3dfa9d65fa9017055540bfcccbcb2acf.png

EPS has a decent signal for 4-8" up this way for the hors d'oeuvre.

Screenshot_20240123-044706.thumb.png.87262ce0ad62280971a0b413d78e886e.png

4 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

Sometimes models come back to old ideas.

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh144_trend(2).thumb.gif.1f636dd9b4fe6cfbcf6ffd3d7522ad4a.gif

When I saw the 6z - I thought "now there's an attempt to bring back the idea" as the northern piece tries to inject "late" (as in closer to the original thread date ideas) image.thumb.png.04eaf51bba0a901442c8d581c7f8c4aa.png

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

Trending back to a) slower overall and b) more N jet interaction (while still near MidAtl etc)

Can it make it the whole way back? Will this be seen in other models or is this simply a GFS thing? 

Day 6+ so it's possible in any event

trend-gefsens-2024012306-f144.sfcmslp-meanmem.na.gif

• LIKE 2

Is this storm breaking apart?  Looked a day or two ago and there was a solid stream of precipitation (snow/rain).

With warmer temps moving into LI, any snow will probably be turned into freezing rain (if it comes to that).  Most likely we'll just get rain only.

image.gif.6b4f8d6993e01936d44e10ce7bdd397c.gif

To me , does look UT like we may have to go with “the storm may have to manufacture its own cold air” thang , which i think actually did happen about 3 decades ago, OR perhaps the other Hail Mary- the low going through Friday assumes a 50/50 ish position, helping to “clog” things up until that big ol high comes in. Is that pretty much where we are at 6 days out 😀😀

• THUMBS UP 1

9 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

To me , does look UT like we may have to go with “the storm may have to manufacture its own cold air” thang , which i think actually did happen about 3 decades ago, OR perhaps the other Hail Mary- the low going through Friday assumes a 50/50 ish position, helping to “clog” things up until that big ol high comes in. Is that pretty much where we are at 6 days out 😀😀

I think we need that Artic jet piece one way or t'other. 

It can either lend enough cold to the overall, or enough dynamics for the storm to deepen and be able to draw down the cold from aloft. 

Not a great place to be in given the preceding warmth - going from 60 here on Friday, to "snow temps" within 60 hrs after is not going to be easy regardless. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

WPC:

While within a widespread and significantly warmer
pattern, enough cooled air may remain in place to allow potential
for some snow along with some windy conditions on the far northern
edge of the broad precipitation shield into the interior Northeast

by Sunday as aided with a deepening low track up/off the East
Coast.
This storm should become strong enough to be a maritime
hazard off the Mid-Atlantic then New England Sunday into Monda
y

• LIKE 1

• Admin
17 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

I think we need that Artic jet piece one way or t'other. 

It can either lend enough cold to the overall, or enough dynamics for the storm to deepen and be able to draw down the cold from aloft. 

Not a great place to be in given the preceding warmth - going from 60 here on Friday, to "snow temps" within 60 hrs after is not going to be easy regardless. 

Granted, we have seen these types of temperature swings before and it makes for quite a storm, given the dynamics. I remember a few years back being at 71/72 with a blizzard expected the next day in LI. 

• THUMBS UP 2
  • LOVE 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Would be really cool to pull a snow here, in between 2 warm weeks. Melt, snow, melt. Perfect.

Finally have a snowpack here....not ready to let it go yet.

Time for 12zers. Ze German model stays positive tilted

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 10.43.25 AM.png

• THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, telejunkie said:

Finally have a snowpack here....not ready to let it go yet.

Time for 12zers. Ze German model stays positive tilted

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 10.43.25 AM.png

We've had a snowpack here in Philly for a full week. Been awhile since I've seen snow for that long.

• LIKE 4
  • LOVE 1

6 hours ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Yea, there’s no fresh injection of cold air.  I Think this will be primarily wet instead of white south of NY thruway/I86-I88

Edited by PA road DAWG
  • THUMBS UP 1

10 minutes ago, PA road DAWG said:

Yea, there’s no fresh injection of cold air.  I Think this will be primarily wet instead of white south of NY thruway/I86-I88

that is why I'm not a big fan of the idea of the early vortex doing this any good. It nearly HAS to be the second one that comes in that ones wake. Otherwise, you're talking about a rain event for most outside of New England - with maybe some end as snow possibility

Sure we've seen instance where temps go from one extreme warm to one extreme cold. Those almost never happen in mid winter though, mostly those are Spring or Fall events. 

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, PA road DAWG said:

We do have a SHP pushing down from the Hudson Bay region per GFS. But to your point...it only really benefits those north of I-90.

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 11.05.02 AM.png

• LIKE 1