January 28-29, 2024 Mid-Atl/NE Winter Storm Potential

• Moderators

Got a northern stream system heading out the beginning of the loop, then the southern stream system heading NE then E. And right behind it, another northern stream system that if it catches up, could be sweet. Since they don't meet up, the southern energy heads on out and the low doesn't deepen as much until offshore as the northern stream energy causes the trough to go neg.

floop-ecmwf_full-2024012112.500hv.conus.thumb.gif.80f335b288128c79d0cb8591ea624ed2.gif

The frames after that look pretty weird.

Here's the surface

floop-ecmwf_full-2024012112.prateptype_cat_ecmwf-imp.conus.thumb.gif.3981755b17a1629197f8a27e0ae3cd89.gif

Edited by StretchCT

25 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Got a northern stream system heading out the beginning of the loop, then the southern stream system heading NE then E. And right behind it, another northern stream system that if it catches up, could be sweet. Since they don't meet up, the southern energy heads on out and the low doesn't deepen as much until offshore as the northern stream energy causes the trough to go neg.

floop-ecmwf_full-2024012112.500hv.conus.thumb.gif.80f335b288128c79d0cb8591ea624ed2.gif

The frames after that look pretty weird.

Here's the surface

floop-ecmwf_full-2024012112.prateptype_cat_ecmwf-imp.conus.thumb.gif.3981755b17a1629197f8a27e0ae3cd89.gif

Yes, and that high “hightails” it out on that run. Was texting RidkRd yesterday that he is a mjo hog, and i am a nao hog. Just think things are easier with a decent nao. Slows everything down, make “connections” easier, keeps highs around longer. With everything flying around , it’s harder. At least we have something to track. Fun to watch it play out.

To clarify some. The one off the coast was not my original focus. It was the second one that is extending the trough to its NW  back towards the LP which is entering C Canada at this frame. 

If that first one drags the second one along, it's game over. If the second one can handshake the LP in Canada, then maybe 

image.thumb.png.cd99054390344f8b5a7a122ced5426b5.png

Edited by Undertakerson2.0

So, looking to East Asia Rule for some guidance - we know a 7 day lag applies to what goes on there translating to here. 

On W side of this image of N PAC

We see also a "dual low" look (front runner piece and anchor piece still on the Prefectures of Japan) , the trailing piece holds back the front runner and they do a dance. Where and when that happens is our event EOTM 

Remember, these "organic" guidance sets are not 1:1 transferable necessarily (tho they can be) 

Screenshot 2024-01-21 160317.png

• LIKE 2

So out two lows could be said to be binary - each relatively important to the storm dates described. 

The timing has to slow to allow the handshake earlier. Using both pieces to form a stronger unified piece. 

At least that's the theory i'm goin with rn

13 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

So out two lows could be said to be binary - each relatively important to the storm dates described. 

The timing has to slow to allow the handshake earlier. Using both pieces to form a stronger unified piece. 

If you are going to plagiarize  my needs to slow theory, at least credit it.

• THINKING 1

9 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

If you are going to plagiarize  my needs to slow theory, at least credit it.

OK -"it's so obvious, even RTC-avemen can see it" 

Better? ha ha

But seriously, it's not just a slowing, it's all around timing and there are soooo many pieces. Too many for models to handle RN. 

• LAUGH 6

20 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

OK -"it's so obvious, even RTC-avemen can see it" 

Better? ha ha

But seriously, it's not just a slowing, it's all around timing and there are soooo many pieces. Too many for models to handle RN. 

Which is why i like a clog . Easier to grab, connect, vs. try to catch a piece of paper in the wind. Deep shit, huh 😀

• THINKING 1
  • LAUGH 1
  • LOVE 1

1 hour ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

EPS members have varying timing.  I realize this snowdepth is more the "pre" storm, but lots of options out there.

png1.png

• THUMBS UP 1

• Social Media Crew
5 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Steamin' pile of...

Snow Crab Legs.. that’s our Super Bowl plan if the Ravens make it. We always try to do a specific city food specialty lol 🦀 

• LAUGH 1
  • TROPHY 1
  • BOMBOGENESIS 1
  • LOVE 1

5 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Anywho, 

GEFS showing some inclination towards a slower southern piece 

trend-gefsens-2024012118-f144.sfcmslp-meanmem.na.gif

So that the front runner can create separation, allowing the northern jet piece over the NW to come in close to shake hands with the pieces left down at MS//AR region. image.thumb.png.7b57f200182c30913ba35b04de6b6dd8.png

2 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

So that the front runner can create separation, allowing the northern jet piece over the NW to come in close to shake hands with the pieces left down at MS//AR region. image.thumb.png.7b57f200182c30913ba35b04de6b6dd8.png

I like your analysis as always. Kinda worried about cold air availability though? 

7 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

I like your analysis as always. Kinda worried about cold air availability though? 

correct. That is why I don't like the idea of the first piece to the coast doing it - it has no cold to work with 

Can it serve to pull down at least some in its wake though? 

Alternatively, the northern stream comes for piece 2 even sooner and adds that cold to the mix. 

We're seeing some of "your" slowing in the ENSs so all hope is not lost at this point. Well, that and it's still 8+ days away. 

trend-gefsens-2024012118-f174.sfcmslp-meanmem.na.gif

trend-gefsens-2024012118-f186.sfcmslp-meanmem.na.gif

• Social Media Crew

I like the western ridge.. Would assume that has to trend a bit more west, and a bit more amplified. Storm signal is there off the east coast. Doesn’t look like much blocking.. but that doesn’t mean it can’t produce an event for folks. IMG_0458.thumb.png.5dd78f0b668ebe2d9cdce56bb62e10ac.png

14 minutes ago, Penn State said:

I like the western ridge.. Would assume that has to trend a bit more west, and a bit more amplified. Storm signal is there off the east coast. Doesn’t look like much blocking.. but that doesn’t mean it can’t produce an event for folks. IMG_0458.thumb.png.5dd78f0b668ebe2d9cdce56bb62e10ac.png

Yes - Poc is alerting also to watching the trending over the west. Seems to be improving so far as storm signal goes. 

• LIKE 1

From DT land. Just saying. Just a messenger throwing info out there. 
“there has never been an East Coast Snow Storm when the MJO IS IN Phase 6, not happening”