January 28-29, 2024 Mid-Atl/NE Winter Storm Potential

Just now, MaineJay said:

If I remember correctly, Feb 2017 CPC analogs had beginning of Feb 1978 as 2 of the top 4 analogs. We got pretty buried up here that week, as I remember it week with my daughter being born in the midst.

So - MJ

What say you about the dates? As moderator, you or one of the others could have changed them back or blocked my doing so. I'm good with putting original dates back up - honestly I was, at first, waiting for someone to open one for the 28-29 and when no when did and that got discussed in here, I went with it. 

RTC busted me for moving the goal posts (and I admit I cringed that I even did it) - and now we have two distinct storms to discuss. 

As for me, I say discuss them both, we're smart enough to figure out the context and it's not like we have the 10's of thousands of posters like Accu had (where one storm one thread idea originated) 

• THUMBS UP 1

• Admin
15 minutes ago, Poco said:

Thought I was posting in the one for the 31st.  If Mods want to sort out my posts be my guest, I’m just stopping in while I’m trying to take care of other stuff so pardon me. Crazy times 

I thought your reply was pertinent and well-said. No need to axe it when it fits in with this thread!

2 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

But, i do think it's more the exception than the rule. It was more than one storm too that period.

That is really my main use of analogs. I see if any current ones are in the years that come to my mind that are equal to the current one. 

This year, to me, is much like 1983 - and it has appeared in a more than a few analogs during this season 

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

So - MJ

What say you about the dates? As moderator, you or one of the others could have changed them back or blocked my doing so. I'm good with putting original dates back up - honestly I was, at first, waiting for someone to open one for the 28-29 and when no when did and that got discussed in here, I went with it. 

RTC busted me for moving the goal posts (and I admit I cringed that I even did it) - and now we have two distinct storms to discuss. 

As for me, I say discuss them both, we're smart enough to figure out the context and it's not like we have the 10's of thousands of posters like Accu had (where one storm one thread idea originated) 

Maybe jumped the gun...but set up a thread for the 30th-1st. Will move posts when time allows

• LIKE 1

That High is trying to push around those Lows. Question is which Low will give in allowing the High to move east/north or more east/south.  A lot of activity making this difficult to tell what we're going to get.

image.thumb.png.07cc4b8a46a77039e2438a718abd1d31.png

image.thumb.png.41ac9baf12a73219f26b8d8b7c576d55.png

• Admin
44 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

So - MJ

That falls on me. I should've started another thread, a few days ago.  We only had a handful of consistent posters prior to new years, so it's been pretty lax.  @telejunkiestarted a subsequent thread, so as the discussion drifted more to the "bird in hand", I think we roll with it and can discuss the "2 in the bush" with the new thread.

We used to have so many wanting to start threads, I always feel bad starting them. Feel like I'm either forcing it on folks or potentially stealing someone's thunder.

• THUMBS UP 1