Second run in a row for CIPS (00z version)  to put Jonas in the analogs

Screenshot 2024-01-25 111842.png

I don't think I have ever seen a CIPS analog work out for a storm. LMAO

Edited by LUCC
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • TROPHY 1

1 minute ago, LUCC said:

I don't think I have ever seen a CIPS analog work out for a storm. LMAO

They are always so spread out, not sure how it's possible that none (of the dozen or so) didn't play out

So far as a monster storm analog that worked, I also cannot think of one. 

• THUMBS UP 1

Just now, Undertakerson2.0 said:

They are always so spread out, not sure how it's possible that none (of the dozen or so) didn't play out

If only we had a '96 redux for every CIPS '96 analog. 🤪

The point of analogs isn’t to repeat an analog 

it’s weighted ranking of previous atmospheric conditions that produced a storm.  

Analogs are an organic way to help forecast.  I don’t know where or why people think analogs are any worse of a tool as a deterministic model  5-7d+ lead 

• LIKE 2
  • SHOCKED 1
  • TROPHY 1

Analogs are meant to help sort through the medium long range model gibberish.  Dont look at any single analog or deterministic model and think it’s solution

use the probabilistic options on cips to determine how much potential a certain period has 

I know for a fact we as a forum know how to do this.  We’ve been doing it since the Accu days.  Instant gratification in the weather modeling world is a mirage.  Don’t fall for it, come to your own conclusion using all tools at hand. Cheers! 

• LIKE 3
  • TROPHY 1

6 minutes ago, Poco said:

The point of analogs isn’t to repeat an analog 

it’s weighted ranking of previous atmospheric conditions that produced a storm.  

Analogs are an organic way to help forecast.  I don’t know where or why people think analogs are any worse of a tool as a deterministic model  5-7d+ lead 

Weather World PSU uses analog forecasting for a segment they call Long Shots. It gets crazy somtimes. Like maybe it was dry in the southeast for 3 months, based on that, they forecast our February weather, and they are forecasting this in like August!.. cold,/warm, snowy, dry.. overall they tend to hit a forecast maybe 66%+ of the time using that.

• LIKE 2

3 minutes ago, Poco said:

Analogs are meant to help sort through the medium long range model gibberish.  Dont look at any single analog or deterministic model and think it’s solution

use the probabilistic options on cips to determine how much potential a certain period has 

I know for a fact we as a forum know how to do this.  We’ve been doing it since the Accu days.  Instant gratification in the weather modeling world is a mirage.  Don’t fall for it, come to your own conclusion using all tools at hand. Cheers! 

Looking at those maps, looks like nearly a 0% chance of measurable snow north of PA. Its more likely to snow in VA/MD, than NY/CT.

1 minute ago, JDClapper said:

Weather World PSU uses analog forecasting for a segment they call Long Shots. It gets crazy somtimes. Like maybe it was dry in the southeast for 3 months, based on that, they forecast our February weather, and they are forecasting this in like August!.. cold,/warm, snowy, dry.. overall they tend to hit a forecast maybe 66%+ of the time using that.

Ok, that’s not them using single storm analogs to forecast an upcoming storm.  They are using seasonal analogs (probably seasonal composite analogs) which is even a bit different from the analogs cips does for short and 7-10d range 

• LIKE 2

4 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

CPC also uses analogs for the LR 8-14D

Those WW ones are fun at best. See if they can hit the farmer's cow, old Bessie or hit the taget/bulleye 

The one made in Aug was for a snowy December. Poor Bessie

image.thumb.png.9982f4f5273dcb1103c92dc6d222bfbe.png

• DISAPPOINTED 1

10 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Looking at those maps, looks like nearly a 0% chance of measurable snow north of PA. It’s more likely to snow in VA/MD, than NY/CT.

They produce them from deterministic 0z gfs run 

so they are going to heavily favor what that run looked like

the ull at 12z went from ofc Boston to off South Carolina and a strong ull appeared northern Midwest.   We dont have much medium range continuity right now.  So even using analogs is gonna be tough at current.  I’m only stopping in to try and help guys, I’m fine explaining how to use weather forecasting tools to people but I know who our experienced posters are on here so if I see some bs I’ll call it bs 

Edited by Poco
  • THUMBS UP 2

CIPS had the 83 nor’easter yesterday. Still waiting to see mesos start today, see if we can get some idea of the start. 

Edited by TLChip

4 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

CPC also uses analogs for the LR 8-14D

Those WW ones are fun at best. See if they can hit the farmer's cow, old Bessie or hit the taget/bulleye 

The one made in Aug was for a snowy December. Poor Bessie

image.thumb.png.9982f4f5273dcb1103c92dc6d222bfbe.png

Gah! Well, theres some of that 33% then haha

Thought I was posting in the one for the 31st.  If Mods want to sort out my posts be my guest, I’m just stopping in while I’m trying to take care of other stuff so pardon me. Crazy times 

• LIKE 1

Just now, Poco said:

Thought I was posting in the one for the 31st.  If Mods want to sort out my posts be my guest, I’m just stopping in while I’m trying to take care of other stuff so pardon me. Crazy times 

I think you’re good for now. No one opened the 31st yet and everyone’s been in here anyway.

• LOVE 1

Just now, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Pretty warm set of 12z runs so far gang

Windshield wiper effect for the next 24h? Yesterday was a large shift south for the most part.

1 minute ago, Poco said:

Dates getting crazy, originally this thread was centering there. Then the models did a major time warp thing and the gang discussed phase one while Phase two was supposed to be "nada". 

Now we have both AFTER I adjusted dates to accomodate going with the flow so to speak. And there's no thread for the second one now. 

Ugh

Wait so this is the thread for the 31st?  Instead of opening a new one for the 29 this got moved back?  I thought UTS did a very fine job outlining the potential the 31st had.  Not sure why this got moved but that’s fine it’s up to kids.  It might be the initial long wave but the 31st -1st period remains and has always remained highly interesting.  Take care, sorry for any confusion  

1 minute ago, Poco said:

Wait so this is the thread for the 31st?  Instead of opening a new one for the 29 this got moved back?  I thought UTS did a very fine job outlining the potential the 31st had.  Not sure why this got moved but that’s fine it’s up to kids.  It might be the initial long wave but the 31st -1st period remains and has always remained highly interesting.  Take care, sorry for any confusion  

Blame the date shifts on me

RTC already did and likely will again so...

• Admin
38 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

If I remember correctly, Feb 2017 CPC analogs had beginning of Feb 1978 as 2 of the top 4 analogs. We got pretty buried up here that week, as I remember it well with my daughter being born in the midst.

• LIKE 6
  • LOVE 2

• The title was changed to January 28-29, 2024 Mid-Atl/NE Winter Storm Potential
  • Admin
1 minute ago, MaineJay said:

If I remember correctly, Feb 2017 CPC analogs had beginning of Feb 1978 as 2 of the top 4 analogs. We got pretty buried up here that week, as I remember it well with my daughter being born in the midst.

But, i do think it's more the exception than the rule. It was more than one storm too that period.