January 28-29, 2024 Mid-Atl/NE Winter Storm Potential

5 hours ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Looks like Euro could not repeat its Thanos interpretation and bring the several into one cohesive bundle, like it did at 12z. It didn't close off as strongly as the earlier run so it was less than spectacular - 552-549 level did not close off cleanly, so it was a "late boomer". 

With so many vorts within the longwave, we've seen "improvement" yet no real move towards total consolidation -and without that, the column cannot cool sufficiently to overcome to the background warm state conditions we have going into it. 

Back before AGW type conditions, this would have been lead pipe cinch to have been at the very least, a significant winter storm if not major. 

We can't lament that - it is what it is - we can only deal with the reality of being in intractable warmth and it will take either a large storm or a perfectly timed one to pull off major snow. I, for one, can wait until we turn more favorable in Feb when the MJO helps turn things around. 

trend-ecmwf_full-2024012500-f120.sn10_acc-imp.us_ma.gif

Please don't go there with AGW. Read the book "Unsettled" by Steven E. Koonin. I won't get into the details, but X input does not equal Y output.

• LOVE 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, LUCC said:

12z NAM isn't as cold or qpf laiden as 6z. 🙄

namconus_ref_frzn_eus_fh78_trend (1).gif

2 mb stronger and SLP located in basically the same place...seems odd. 

15 minutes ago, Rickrd said:

Please don't go there with AGW. Read the book "Unsettled" by Steven E. Koonin. I won't get into the details, but X input does not equal Y output.

I'll redact that part of the statement for it seems to have lead you to believe I have some sort of agenda in that regard. Also I misunderstood the acronym to be less accusatory than it is otherwise perceived. In using the word "type" behind the acronym I simply was re-stating the FACT that we're in a historical record super warm back ground state.

Thus, it will take more than our typical scenarios to produce winter -as evidenced by our having most of the requisite elements of what we know to drive winter storms. That being a decent High in Canada. shortwave track South of Mason Dixon over to the benchmark, and a strengthening storm. The end. 

• LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 2
  • LOVE 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

RGEM delivering the goods for us northern folk....

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 10.15.14 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 10.13.32 AM.png

Playing this scenario out, I would expect a pretty big push of that blue line south in the next image as the HP is pushing down from the north

18 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

I'll redact that part of the statement for it seems to have lead you to believe I have some sort of agenda in that regard. Also I misunderstood the acronym to be less accusatory than it is otherwise perceived. In using the word "type" behind the acronym I simply was re-stating the FACT that we're in a historical record super warm back ground state.

Thus, it will take more than our typical scenarios to produce winter -as evidenced by our having most of the requisite elements of what we know to drive winter storms. That being a decent High in Canada. shortwave track South of Mason Dixon over to the benchmark, and a strengthening storm. The end. 

Yeah I think it can and will get cold again some time. It's just not cold right now. Very historically warm. It might even take until some things change with the ocean currents but sooner or later it will. 

• LIKE 2

24 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

RGEM delivering the goods for us northern folk....

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 10.15.14 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 10.13.32 AM.png

ICON pretty north too. Whether thats good or bad (to have ICON agree), I leave up to the individual to decide. Lol

2 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

I personally would take this GFS and run. A nice hold over until February brings the goods.

Ya, positively tilted troughs arent a good thing for us at our latitude in mid-atlantics. Need a tough axis neutral over Mississippi and then to swing negatve. 

23 minutes ago, 1816 said:

Yeah I think it can and will get cold again some time. It's just not cold right now. Very historically warm. It might even take until some things change with the ocean currents but sooner or later it will. 

To God's ears, hope this assessment is correct, we can't predict future with certainty but hoping for the best.

Back on topic: I didn't know MJO could have so much influence this Winter with El Nino. It's like the MJO either makes or breaks the chances of winter weather during winter, this storm being an example for many.

10 minutes ago, Doorman said:

listen up gang

ole dm has been pasted over the years

but just watch  the 12z runs fall line with  the latest OPC 96hr surface prog  🤪

A_96hrsfc.thumb.gif.e815680493edd2296b654b70a8f9bb18.gif

Benchmark at 993 mb

7:00 am DST Monday

Screenshot_2024-01-25_10-55-06.png.3d9c44680bd5a3841aeab98bcadb530b.png

I used this line a long time ago back in the Accuweather forums.

Who's down with OPC?

I'm down with OPC 🙂

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 2

5 minutes ago, Rickrd said:

Ya, positively tilted troughs arent a good thing for us at our latitude in mid-atlantics. Need a tough axis neutral over Mississippi and then to swing negatve. 

Yea but as i said last night, that is a double edged sword. This is such a fine line we are walking. Neutral too early = warm. Warm based system. We are asking a miracle from that miracle high.

if we had entrenched cold, then yea go neutral , then negative early.

1 minute ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Yea but as i said last night, that is a double edged sword. This is such a fine line we are walking. Neutral too early = warm. Warm based system. We are asking a miracle from that miracle high.

if we had entrenched cold, then yea go neutral , then negative early.

I actually understood that. 

Must be my meds

In seriousness though, the GFS continues past the first wave and then allow the "too late" part to drop in an do a mini blow up all on its own. I actually see more snowfall from that than the first. 

Edited by Undertakerson2.0
  • LAUGH 1

1 minute ago, Anthonyweather said:

Keep an eye on that trailingn energy / clipper system Tuesday PM

Just a few things to resolve. 

In Dr Strange Multiverse - the 29th storm goes to set up at 50/50 thus showing what RTC mentioned about cold air neutrality (or some such) 

Screenshot 2024-01-25 111447.png

• LIKE 1

8 minutes ago, RobB said:

Who's down with OPC?.I'm down with OPC 🙂

and you know me....I'm the ODB

Holly Disco-----

LONG TERM /SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...
A trough moving through the Tennessee River valley will approach the
region Saturday Night into Sunday. An area of low pressure will move
up the Appalachians with a secondary low forming near the VA/NC
border and tracking offshore. This will bring a period of light
to moderate rain for most of the area Saturday night through
Sunday, with the potential for wintry weather in northern NJ and
the Poconos in that timeframe. The 00z deterministic runs
showed a good thump of snowfall but thinking some of the
snowfall totals output is probably overdone given the track of
the low close to the NJ/DE coast and ratios likely worse than
10:1. Thinking the better chance for snow will come Sunday
night/Monday morning on the backside of the system as colder air
works its way in and a more favorable time of day. We will have
to keep an eye on this system as the weekend approaches given
some of the more bullish deterministic guidance. Thinking winds
don`t look to be too much of a factor at least on land. With
some onshore flow, there may be some tidal concerns but too
early to speculate on what the impacts will be.

Edited by Doorman
  • THUMBS UP 2

25 minutes ago, RobB said:

Who's down with OPC?

I'm down with OPC 🙂

Yeah you know me