January 28-29, 2024 Mid-Atl/NE Winter Storm Potential

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh60_trend.gif

Interesting wrinkle in that lead vort seen around NC/SC in earlier runs...seems to be ironing itself out and creating more wrinkling over KY/TN.  Still comes down to trough dynamics, but just an interesting trend....

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Thoughts on the deeper dig? That being said , purty western ridge,

I like it...think it provides more chance for trough to gain some room to get neutral a bit earlier....but that may only help more northern folks...(?)

So....can we rewind a minute....DM is at our door? 

1 minute ago, telejunkie said:

I like it...think it provides more chance for trough to gain some room to get neutral a bit earlier....but that may only help more northern folks...(?)

So....can we rewind a minute....DM is at our door? 

Oh he’s here. That’s great!

Early dig, you guys rock .

• LIKE 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, Snowadelphia said:

7196324E-3245-485B-B54E-99044A41049D.jpeg

Shrinkage

1 hour ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Not trying to be a downer. need tonight and tomorrow night’ s storms to clear, then we gonna need slow down. Hate thread the needle comments, but this is . We are trying to time that high perfectly for E Pa  and nearby. Tough ask. Clap land and northeast to a certain point seem better. 4 days out, so that 1040 miracle high  can speed skate in early and press down , but Vegas odds on that ??

Nice analysis

51 minutes ago, Rickrd said:

Energy packs just missing each other I believe on 0z GFS. Close but no cigar on this one. 

The S/W is not ashore yet. We have a lack of sampling. I would hold off and see what happens over the next couple of days. I would say this likely trends worse as more data comes in, but, we shall see. 

• THUMBS UP 1

9 minutes ago, Uscg Ast said:

I have never seen such expansive Dense Fog Advisories 

IMG_20240125_001716_992.thumb.jpg.165e13b10d4bafeee5633b48cbd31ae0.jpg

Ya. I was checking that out earlier. Neither have I. Gloom and doom stuff. The atmospheric snow eater is huge!

• LIKE 1

7 hours ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Whatever, dispatching coverage early for Winter Storm Kelly😍. UT , you cover Cap Region- just don’t overdo it with the galoshes and stuff. Bad look. RickRd, You got Bingy! Great spot for this one. May never get out though. RC going to ground zero, The Port. Clap said i can crash at his place. Tito’s , or the new bomb- Wood Reserve smoked. Need some volunteers up north- step up! 
Good luck all!

Can I at least wear my cowboy hat?? When you visit the Port -just don't infringe on Claps' bowling night. 

6 hours ago, JDClapper said:

Getting the couch ready for ya!  We can measure the slushy coating together.

No matter which way I read that, I can't unread it now. 

4 hours ago, Tater said:

I love how that backend snow around Maryland just appears out of nowhere.

Backend snow is fake news.

It's not your average backend snow that forms from a deformation band of the exiting storm. It's a late arrival upper level energy and those nearly always deliver the goods (as Snobal might say) 

4 hours ago, StretchCT said:

Not buying the qpf on this one. Why is the northwest side of the low dry? I like the high, the low. Doesn’t go boom or anything but 

floop-gfs-2024012500.prateptype_cat-imp.conus.thumb.gif.4c81ae76d4e44b13244e03742e8c6932.gif
IMG_1662.thumb.jpeg.7e567b13b7b8f27d6c5a01e7b47ebe66.jpeg

Disjointed CTP screw zone - happens when the energy has to translate from inland to coast. GFS is having a hard time with this Dr. Strange Multiverse look. 

4 hours ago, telejunkie said:

Interesting wrinkle in that lead vort seen around NC/SC in earlier runs...seems to be ironing itself out and creating more wrinkling over KY/TN.  Still comes down to trough dynamics, but just an interesting trend....

"Wrinkle" - I used to call them "sags". ST would roast me for using such fancy meteo terms - but that's how we M.O.M.* edumacated cats be. (* Mail Order Meteorologist) 

3 hours ago, Uscg Ast said:

I have never seen such expansive Dense Fog Advisories 

IMG_20240125_001716_992.thumb.jpg.165e13b10d4bafeee5633b48cbd31ae0.jpg

3 hours ago, Rickrd said:

Ya. I was checking that out earlier. Neither have I. Gloom and doom stuff. The atmospheric snow eater is huge!

Reminds me of the great snow feast of January 1996 - real Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes in The Hound of the Baskerville type stuff. Imagine wandering around in the Grimpen Mire of Dartmoor

image.png.18ab9aa9aa7954667bb9c2cdb32a18e9.pngimage.png.b4f2bdc21d207a0d258cab2940c4cc23.png

• LIKE 5

Looks like Euro could not repeat its Thanos interpretation and bring the several into one cohesive bundle, like it did at 12z. It didn't close off as strongly as the earlier run so it was less than spectacular - 552-549 level did not close off cleanly, so it was a "late boomer". 

With so many vorts within the longwave, we've seen "improvement" yet no real move towards total consolidation -and without that, the column cannot cool sufficiently to overcome to the background warm state conditions we have going into it. 

Back before AGW type historically warm for the season, conditions, this would have been lead pipe cinch to have been at the very least, a significant winter storm if not major. 

We can't lament that - it is what it is - we can only deal with the reality of being in intractable warmth and it will take either a large storm or a perfectly timed one to pull off major snow. I, for one, can wait until we turn more favorable in Feb when the MJO helps turn things around. 

trend-ecmwf_full-2024012500-f120.sn10_acc-imp.us_ma.gif

Edited by Undertakerson2.0

• Admin

Need that H7 to close off as quick as it can as and far south as possible. 

ecmwf_z700_vort_us_33.thumb.png.eb709ea2bb278b0bab4c9f97b00cc4ad.png

gfs_z700_vort_us_16.thumb.png.e5746b744cfa315415be8d46f3493944.png

The cold has been hanging on more than models up here pretty consistently, so that might also mean drier.  The ECMWF has often had a wet bias, so I'd temper its qpf a little.  Looking at some soundings, it looks like the ratios may be a bit low. 

• LIKE 1

6zGFS added a "wrinkle" of the AJ at just the right time to pull itself together this run - worked out "better" with no "snow hole" in PA this run 

Look up over New England states for the "wrinkle" of northern energy that dives into the trough - absent from 00z run .

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh90_trend.gif

• LIKE 1

2 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

Need that H7 to close off as quick as it can as and far south as possible. 

ecmwf_z700_vort_us_33.thumb.png.eb709ea2bb278b0bab4c9f97b00cc4ad.png

gfs_z700_vort_us_16.thumb.png.e5746b744cfa315415be8d46f3493944.png

The cold has been hanging on more than models up here pretty consistently, so that might also mean drier.  The ECMWF has often had a wet bias, so I'd temper its qpf a little.  Looking at some soundings, it looks like the ratios may be a bit low. 

1 minute ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

6zGFS added a "wrinkle" of the AJ at just the right time to pull itself together this run - worked out "better" with no "snow hole" in PA this run 

Look up over New England states for the "wrinkle" of northern energy that dives into the trough - absent from 00z run .

These two posts were made for one another 🙂

Interestingly, the SHP in Canada was 5mb WEAKER this run. 

Edited by Undertakerson2.0
  • LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

The beast mode storm still needs every piece to get involved. Those that linger over the Lakes would make this deal go sky high

That is where RTC's NAO- would have helped here, Even a true 50/50 from the storm before it - would have worked

This run goes onto make the 29th storm set up as 50/50 for those trailer vorts - and look what happens as it blows up over ME only 1.5 days later. 

image.thumb.png.7beb4ed2c62bbb4b224d6d7cbd2b5852.png

image.thumb.png.ab15a6ddcd2797ff5007b73cf2a3bf0a.png

• WOW 1

• Admin
15 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

GFS has really only latched onto the "more correct" solution within the last 48 hours.  You can see how close the moisture is to phasing. 

I made a longer gif, but it's so random preceding it, it seemed to have little value. 

gfs_midRH_us_fh96_trend (2).gif

• LIKE 1

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

9z SREF eliminates the inland low much sooner than its previous runs, and more south than most if not all others

image.thumb.png.bb3dfea9ab283055dbd5a5c13d1bc4a9.png

Those come out so much earlier on pivotal than other sites.

Here's 3z 850 0°C spaghetti. I wonder if the answer is hiding in there.

SREF_Spaghetti_H8_0__f084(4).thumb.gif.2a81fe4d15af78085d63eee8f5550b82.gif

• LAUGH 1

25 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

I think I see it!

• LAUGH 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, MaineJay said:

9z might be even messier

SREF_Spaghetti_H8_0__f078(5).thumb.gif.f87279b5c1176be178351eac42b0585b.gif