January 28-29, 2024 Mid-Atl/NE Winter Storm Potential

8 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

See , my old friend DM still has it! New i could count on you. Hopefully Stephanie has stopped stalking you 😀

JD RENKEN  told me to stay on topic  Mr. Cooke

LMFAO

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_18.thumb.png.eda1742343f7f5a5725117c606fbab11.png

• LAUGH 3

34 minutes ago, Doorman said:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.e81907cb8953dd69bd9cbc95a0e40c34.jpg

bet she melted a few snowballs back in the day.......😺

Nice calves…..!!!!! 
wonder if she knows what a norlun trough is and what it means. 😬

I’ll let myself out. 

Edited by Rickrd
  • LAUGH 2

1 minute ago, 1816 said:

140w8b.jpg.6a684baf7f9f2735d22496c3fa65e3a4.jpg

Dude on the right reminds me of a younger RickRd. 
If it does slow down some, can’t help but wonder if it is a rain to snow scenario for many areas due to that miracle high. Rain to snow situations are days of yore recently- days of future pasts. Still need some convincing that the high can elbow its way in properly between 2 warms, but i’ll watch and drink either way👍

• LIKE 2

11 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Dude on the right reminds me of a younger RickRd. 
If it does slow down some, can’t help but wonder if it is a rain to snow scenario for many areas due to that miracle high. Rain to snow situations are days of yore recently- days of future pasts. Still need some convincing that the high can elbow its way in properly between 2 warms, but i’ll watch and drink either way👍

If it's gonna happen, I'd pick a year like this one. Years like this are our miracle years. Nino qbo everything lines up. It's been mediocre up to now but it just might be time for some action. Feb could be big for everyone. Why not start it off with a hail Mary for our northern mid atl folks. 

• THUMBS UP 2

Really interesting how this may work out. Lesson learned. Pattern does not need —NAO and/or -AO. I think the +PNA can be a bigger factor. 

Edited by Rickrd
  • LIKE 2
  • TROPHY 2

Just now, Rickrd said:

Really interesting how this may out. Lesson learned. Pattern does not need -NAO and/or -AO. I think the +PNA can be a bigger factor. 

Poc and I often discuss - give us a PNA+ and we'll take chances with the rest falling in line. It provides the sliding board that short waves can dive along into the long wave troughs, a sort of collection mechanism. You get downstream pooling as a result and a neutral LW trough base and then things CAN happen. Track goes correctly if trough swings, temps take care of by deepening system drawing down upper cold. 

• THUMBS UP 3
  • THANKS 1
  • TROPHY 1

Even under best scenario, it will have to deepen as least as much as Euro depicts (which is just under bomb level) - and that CAN happen with the multi vort max energies flying into the trough. 

The SLP High Over Top  will help yet will still need upper levels being brought to crash through the mid level incursion of the warm and wet mid's. 

Tomorrow we start to get into Meso range and then the posts may be flying hot and heavy. 

• LIKE 2

7 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Must sayUT, RickRd , you guys were trending down last night, but now you came back👍

Ah. Never towel tossed tho. Experience knows better

For Lehigh Valley, surface temos on the 18z euro and its ensemble are borderline above freezing. They do crash but after storm is well offshore. Same goes for the 850’s. 
NEPA looks good at this point. 

• LIKE 1

Whatever, dispatching coverage early for Winter Storm Kelly😍. UT , you cover Cap Region- just don’t overdo it with the galoshes and stuff. Bad look. RickRd, You got Bingy! Great spot for this one. May never get out though. RC going to ground zero, The Port. Clap said i can crash at his place. Tito’s , or the new bomb- Wood Reserve smoked. Need some volunteers up north- step up! 
Good luck all!

Holly updated: https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=PHI&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

ya know, she musta got learned up, cuz she wasn’t that intelligent when we dated. Alas, you guys are thinking perhaps it was the company, had to dumb it down. Fair enough. Her last words were something to the effect of “ you just didn’t stimulate me mentally “. 
Whatever, born and raised in the Coal Region. Don’t recall anyone else from the ol’ hood that went away to become nuclear physicists. We weren’t exactly talking atoms and chugging beers.  

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 1

• Moderators

Upton's latest AFD - GFS was "very disjointed"

Both ridging aloft and at the surface will build across the
area Friday night into Saturday. At the same time, a closed low
over the Southern Plains tracks into the Mid Mississippi Valley.
The associated storm system will impact the area late Saturday
night into Monday. A broad area of surface low pressure moves
into the Tennessee and Ohio Valleys on Sunday, with a secondary
developing along the Mid Atlantic coast. The latter of which
deepens and passes to the south and east of the forecast area
Sunday night into Monday. The 12Z GFS is very disjointed with
the system and farther south than the operational ECMWF and
Canadian, also not as deep. The GEFS mean is a more northern
solution and the EPS has quite a camp of lows from around 980 mb
to just under a 1000 mb. The magnitude and placement of this
low will be critical in determining whether there is a changeover
of the rain, that begins late Saturday night, to snow and/or a
wintry mix. The best chance at this time looks to be Sunday
night into Monday morning. Some of the higher elevations north
and west of NYC may see this happen even sooner. However, it`s
much too early to be this specific, but something to watch in
coming days. In addition, gusty NE winds will be a possibility
during this time.

32 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Whatever, dispatching coverage early for Winter Storm Kelly😍. UT , you cover Cap Region- just don’t overdo it with the galoshes and stuff. Bad look. RickRd, You got Bingy! Great spot for this one. May never get out though. RC going to ground zero, The Port. Clap said i can crash at his place. Tito’s , or the new bomb- Wood Reserve smoked. Need some volunteers up north- step up! 
Good luck all!

Getting the couch ready for ya!  We can measure the slushy coating together.

• LIKE 1
  • MELTING 1