January 28-29, 2024 Mid-Atl/NE Winter Storm Potential

7 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

It's a make it or break for many...yes. It'll provide a feed of cold air, but it could also suppress the storm south if the s/w isn't robust enough.

Hard to see too much suppression with this one. Think that is the lesser risk. Although i must remember that the world is more than just the n mid atl , and you are probably referencing NE 😃

9 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

So long as it stays below the din of my Rice Krispies, I know I will not lose sleep. 

Is that you I see crawling to the surface of a dark Scottish loch?

• LIKE 1

1 minute ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

No just me trying to get used to the dental implants - 

This is a much earlier move towards the Coast. 

image.thumb.png.977f90de401d5c8aa7a67537fe459a2c.png

Moves it about 50 linear miles S - 1036 over top High is 1mb stronger than last go around

image.thumb.png.31d192ac6ae3cbfa185db480e8bb974d.png

• LIKE 3

The over top high gets stronger as the storm approaches, then holds strength as the inland low transfers to off NJ coast. 

THERE it is. What the EAR showed for this evolution - a second low trying to pull the front runner back

image.thumb.png.f8d42a0063702a1c6fe7cda7358945d7.png

Hello Balt and DC corridor (again) Not as much as 6z though

Kind of an odd translation - which is to be expected given the nature of inland transfer situations. 

This go around featured an early move of the surface low to the coast - which then backed off in favor of the inland low - which then was not able to climb as far N and had to give it up to the coastal eventually. All at the same time, the High over top got about 3mb stronger peak of storm 

• THINKING 1

1 minute ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

If i were Clap, i’d be pretty happy where i live for this one.

Yes. The whole 80 and up crowd in a very good place. We are in that cruddy "tween" zone - not really enthused outside of prospect of large surprise. 

• LIKE 1

12 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

The over top high gets stronger as the storm approaches, then holds strength as the inland low transfers to off NJ coast. 

THERE it is. What the EAR showed for this evolution - a second low trying to pull the front runner back

image.thumb.png.f8d42a0063702a1c6fe7cda7358945d7.png

Just sooo hard to trust GFS 4+ days out. Ok , even 2 days out, even ….

• LIKE 1

Just now, GregRups said:

image.thumb.png.adf1e31127837fce5883f2ce52c11381.png

Yes it was better than previous and in line with what the other two were signalling - a stronger High over top (not unusual for models to under model HP in cold seasons) and a more southern oriented axis of best accumulations. 

Obviously, we aren't changing initial conditions though - and those are TOASTY warm, to temper expectation to more along Kuchera ratio or Snow Depth amounts. 

• THUMBS UP 1

6 hours ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

I guess winter's over 😞 

I'm getting old, I remember back when we'd already have a follow up thread for BOTM threat. 

Pretty lonely in here - Reminds me of when I tried to start my own weather page - except I'd have at least a half dozen faithful awake at Rooster Shift hours. 

You just keep on posting! I enjoy the reads each morning. I offer little to nothing in long range and you guys are doing a nice job keeping us up to date. 

• LIKE 4
  • THUMBS UP 2

Just now, MDBlueridge said:

You just keep on posting! I enjoy the reads each morning. I offer little to nothing in long range and you guys are doing a nice job keeping us up to date. 

You know me, you can knock me down but you can't shut me up (trust me, I've tried) 

• LAUGH 2