January 28-29, 2024 Mid-Atl/NE Winter Storm Potential

• The title was changed to January 28-30, 2024 Mid-Atl/NE Winter Storm Potential

I guess winter's over 😞 

I'm getting old, I remember back when we'd already have a follow up thread for BOTM threat. 

Pretty lonely in here - Reminds me of when I tried to start my own weather page - except I'd have at least a half dozen faithful awake at Rooster Shift hours. 

image.thumb.png.5c3d146f7c9abdd0e371205f94c5b9e4.png

Edited by Undertakerson2.0
  • LIKE 2
  • SAD 2
  • TROPHY 1

Medium range guidance has converged on a solution that tracks a
potent southern stream shortwave trough and associated surface
low just south of PA the second half of next weekend, bringing
a period of widespread stratiform precip to central PA Sat PM
into Sunday. With the main branch of the jet well north of PA,
there will be a general lack of cold air
, so expect a mainly
rain event, despite a surface low track south of the state. The
best chance of accumulating snow (~30pct) will be over the
Allegheny Plateau on Sunday associated with a potential
deformation band on the northwest periphery of exiting upper
trough/closed low. - 
AFDCTP

EPS really likes at least some white back here in the interior. Unfortunately, it really liked some white yesterday morning too. Not a great recent track record. 🤷‍♂️

Screenshot_20240124-061929_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

I'm getting old, I remember back when we'd already have a follow up thread for BOTM threat.

I think most of us are just spent the last 3 years looking for these thread the needle/NADS events. It be nice to track something that’s consistently there and actually has cold to work with. 

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 2

• Admin
28 minutes ago, bigben89 said:

I'm pretty sure the "torch" is forecast to be here thru the first full week of February.

Better discussion for the winter or monthly thread.   That said,  the backdoor is open. 

• LIKE 1

5 minutes ago, TLChip said:

I think most of us are just spent the last 3 years looking for these thread the needle/NADS events. It be nice to track something that’s consistently there and actually has cold to work with. 

Yes, I get that. 

I've always enjoyed the chase, irrespective of the result IMBY. Many times, outside of 1/16, I am melancholy that the deal is done and there's usually little to capture my imagination (exception was 2010 with its parade of systems during mid to late winter) 

• THUMBS UP 2

Um, we changed the thread date again? I don’t even know anymore what day we are going to miss this storm. And if i don’t know what day it is, how will i know i’ve missed it? 
it’s the whole if a tree falls in a forest and know one is there to here to hear it thang. 
It’s ok, i never got that stupid freakin concept either 👀👀

43 minutes ago, RTC3-LAST CHANCE said:

Um, we changed the thread date again? I don’t even know anymore what day we are going to miss this storm. And if i don’t know what day it is, how will i know i’ve missed it? 
it’s the whole if a tree falls in a forest and know one is there to here to hear it thang. 
It’s ok, i never got that stupid freakin concept either 👀👀

I moved the dates one day at each end as we drew closer, this last adjustment is to make room to discuss the follow up storm - providing anyone wants to discuss it that is. 

It's easy to be the front runner when you offer candy I suppose. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Pretty lonely in here - Reminds me of when I tried to start my own weather page - except I'd have at least a half dozen faithful awake at Rooster Shift hours. 

There's a limit to how much disappointment one can handle. It's been such a long stretch with limited white powder that some are losing their need for a fix. However, if you promise a major delivery of the white stuff, people will come out of the woodwork.

WhitePowder.jpg.e9ad659d9d973cecc0c1885f1198443a.jpg

• LIKE 3

5 minutes ago, Tater said:

There's a limit to how much disappointment one can handle. It's been such a long stretch with limited white powder that some are losing their need for a fix. However, if you promise a major delivery of the white stuff, people will come out of the woodwork.

WhitePowder.jpg.e9ad659d9d973cecc0c1885f1198443a.jpg

Some are losing their "need for a fix" 

Well either that or losing their perspective - or worse yet, their minds. 

I seem to have forgotten how snow-weenie "weather" sites can be. I don't even really like snow and ice and cold at all any more. It's well known I've lost my mind though. 

• LIKE 1

6 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

I seem to have forgotten how snow-weenie "weather" sites can be. I don't even really like snow and ice and cold at all any more. It's well known I've lost my mind though. 

I feel like this is the least bitter cast forums I’ve found. A lot of the mods and members try to keep that down, so I think when it starts to trend away from snow it just gets quieter. I don’t think it’s a bad thing personally. I’m curious how many snow weenies are actually skiers/winter weather people, or window watchers. 

The daily section for the NE/Mid-altantic does stay friendly and community like almost year round.

• THUMBS UP 2

28 minutes ago, GregRups said:

Not a bad look

IMG_6103.jpeg

Nope, my GFs bday is Friday and we both don't have our kids, a nice relaxing weekend indoors watching movies, sports, etc will be gladly accepted. Maybe some Tito's, red wine and a possible gummy or 5 while seeing some frozen precip falling.👀 

• LAUGH 1
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • BOMBOGENESIS 1
  • LOVE 1

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

I seem to have forgotten how snow-weenie "weather" sites can be.

Yup. It's basically a ghost town outside of the winter months. Not many folks enjoy tracking April showers. I'll admit I'm mainly here during the winter also, though I do pop in to check out hurricane threads and sometimes severe weather outbreaks during other times of the year. Most of my winter interest is snow-related, but I do follow the long range thread a bit to help me decide when to tap maple trees.

And there are folks here, but mainly they just lurk til there is a chance of snow in their backyard. Of course, more check in here when social media says there's gonna be a snowstorm.

• THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

BOTM threat.

I'm going to have to add this one to my own glossary.  You're not talking beer of the month, are you?

• LAUGH 2

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, TLChip said:

I feel like this is the least bitter cast forums I’ve found. A lot of the mods and members try to keep that down, so I think when it starts to trend away from snow it just gets quieter. I don’t think it’s a bad thing personally. I’m curious how many snow weenies are actually skiers/winter weather people, or window watchers. 

The daily section for the NE/Mid-altantic does stay friendly and community like almost year round.

I generally like to give each member one bittercast post a day per storm.  It's therapeutic to get it out. I'm not immune to bittercasting either. But once you start posting multiple times about how bad things are, you need to start paying someone to listen to you. Now if you want to donate $2-5 per bittercast post, I'll circle with the admins and see if we can do that.

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 3
  • THUMBS UP 3