January 22-23, 2024 | OV/GL Snow/Ice Threat

Jpfalcon

6 hours ago, Snow____ said:

I have never been so perplexed by an advisory in my life. I heard people at work talking about ice and I was confused. Last time checked it wasn’t even supposed to get below freezing tonight. Then I get on weather and see we were under an advisory 😵‍💫 and yet ILN themselves still don’t have us getting below freezing. 

Definitely an advisory out of an abundance of caution on the low chance untreated surfaces with temps at freezing or just below had ice. These would be in areas that are shaded from sun energy to have a shot at that. IMHO. 

• LIKE 2

18 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Seems the NAM nailed this one. Never really showed much of an icing threat for most areas & stuck to that solution til showtime.

100%.  I also think the NWS offices didn't do a very good job with some aspects of their forecasting.  I am sure some of that was CYA though.

• LIKE 1

• Admin

I appreciate the err on the side of caution approach with ice, even if it makes the weather offices look bad. Literally one degree here or there could've made this look like those videos coming out of the West yesterday. 

With that said, I hate 33 degree rain with a passion, so today can go away.

• LIKE 4

My wife nearly busted her bum in the parking lot of the dentist south of town in parking lot.  Must be on an area that receives little to no sun.  Driving not an issue but some walking obviously is in isolated areas.

• THUMBS UP 1

Some glaze on the driveway and sidewalks but things starting to melt. Looks like meltdown can commence with two rainers coming up along with torchy 1st week of February. Snowpack should be a memory soon.

Screenshot_20240123_092217_Gallery.jpg

• LIKE 1

Untreated surfaces were pretty slick this morning, otherwise things were wet. All the school closings seemed a bit overblown to me, but we live in the age of CYA so I get it.

We had a two hour delay, and walking to the bus stop was just wet.  Wife said the roads were fine when she went to school at 5:45.   IMO, the delay in our area probably wasn't necessary, but the kids got an extra two hours of sleep, which isn't a bad thing

• Moderators

It’s one of those days again that I have seen many times before.  Area temps in the upper 30’s to low 40’s.  At 4:40, as evening approaches, a light south winds roll over the snow covered hill behind the house, temps have fallen from the mid 30’s earlier to the low 30’s.  Both thermometers currently reading 33.  A reverse “chinook” if you will.  Cool.

Edited by Hiramite
  • LOVE 1