January 22-23, 2024 | OV/GL Snow/Ice Threat

Jpfalcon

• Admin

Just checked road temps around Columbus.. hovering between 34-37 degrees. Not supposed to get too low tonight, but should dip below freezing. Have no idea if the road temps will follow suit. The dewpoints are in the teens.

8 minutes ago, junior said:

It feels warm out, definitely not the ZR feel. Never underestimate WAA. 

No doubt. I truly think ILN area will be a bust in many areas. Some areas almost hit 40 today which was warmer than modeled by 5 or 6 degrees. 

Also, Rob noted being above freezing for the first time in a while earlier today. It is crazy what a great stretch of weather we had for some winter fun in the OH and IN area that was a waste. If we don't have a chance in the next 3 weeks (it is looking bleak) just bring on the warmth. 

Edited by beaver56
  • LIKE 2
  • FIRE 1

32 minutes ago, junior said:

It feels warm out, definitely not the ZR feel. Never underestimate WAA. 

39.8 degrees still....

I've been telling my wife not to worry about the icing potential as it is lacking. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

1 hour ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

HRRR/RAP have just about completely lost the ice potential in most of Ohio on their last few runs. 🤷‍♂️

Good....I was never on board with the potential any way.....

I’m not expecting much in the Columbus area. However, I will say the temp is 36 with a few point of 19. That would bring the wet bulb temperature to slightly below freezing.  Not counting on that, but interesting nonetheless 

38 minutes ago, RobB said:

39.8 degrees still....

I've been telling my wife not to worry about the icing potential as it is lacking. 

Yep, coworkers asked me about an icestorm coming. I said don't worry about it.  

• THUMBS UP 1

1 hour ago, RobB said:

Current temps and radar....I laughed when there was an advisory for even to the Cincinnati area.  Really?

image.thumb.png.bbca3754aae65d4e9d1c8eba88f9afa0.png

I have never been so perplexed by an advisory in my life. I heard people at work talking about ice and I was confused. Last time checked it wasn’t even supposed to get below freezing tonight. Then I get on weather and see we were under an advisory 😵‍💫 and yet ILN themselves still don’t have us getting below freezing. 

• LIKE 1

38 minutes ago, Snow____ said:

I have never been so perplexed by an advisory in my life. I heard people at work talking about ice and I was confused. Last time checked it wasn’t even supposed to get below freezing tonight. Then I get on weather and see we were under an advisory 😵‍💫 and yet ILN themselves still don’t have us getting below freezing. 

They are saying the temps on the ground could still be below freezing even though air temps would be slightly above freezing which would still cause icy spots.

Edited by snowlover2
  • LIKE 1

35.8 degrees with a light rain. Thankfully, my lack of concern around my area, worked out. Once it hit 42 for a high yesterday and it was around 39 at bed time, I let my wife know that ZR should not be an issue. 

• LIKE 1