January 18-20, 2024 | Ohio Valley Snow event

RobB

Just now, Grace said:

Yea...how about that CMC Ohio peeps!

CMC is usually too cold and too over the top with snow amounts. It's a meh with me. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, RobB said:

CMC is usually too cold and too over the top with snow amounts. It's a meh with me. 

Absolutely. I look at the Canadian purely for comic relief.

• THUMBS UP 2

50 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Canadian needs to quit taking roids...

snku_acc-imp.us_ov(1).png

I don't see how that is not doable if we get a merged system.. a bit over the top but it gives an idea

• LIKE 3

• Moderators

Things are getting interesting....

From CLE this AM (1/16):

After a brief lull in snow Thursday evening into Thursday night, chances quickly ramp back up late Thursday night into Friday morning across the entire forecast area. A lobe of the tropospheric polar vortex will drop into the Great Lakes Friday into Saturday, bringing Arctic air back to the area. Ahead of this feature, a rather potent shortwave/clipper will zip across the Ohio Valley Thursday night into Friday. Yesterday it was mentioned it was somewhat uncertain how much this system would be able to amplify ahead of the incoming Arctic air, leading to a low-confidence forecast regarding snow potential. Since yesterday guidance has generally trended more amplified with the shortwave, with some models (such as the Canadian, but with some ensemble support from the GFS and Euro ensembles) even showing this shortwave phasing with some energy in the sub-tropical jet stream, yielding a more notable synoptic snow.

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

• Moderators

With this high-ratio snow moving in, I'm thinking tomorrow evening or maybe Thursday morning will be a good time to break out the SREF Tracker.

• LIKE 4
  • THANKS 1

• Moderators

THRU HOUR ~120.    The latest NWS Blend and the 06z GFS and 06Z Icon.  06Z Euro (thru HR 90) still running.

image.thumb.png.f45c23372097e25f15daec4070ea15d8.pngimage.thumb.png.c6c106c68ba98207b181400d7a83b447.pngimage.thumb.png.72dbecb09afddf1d301c8dfa2db86842.png

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1
  • LOVE 1

• Moderators

I don't want to forget about our two 06z mid-range "friends".  One is more friendlier than the other.  More friendly first... THRU HOUR 84.

image.thumb.png.a8747699e6e26137eb9ecf2318351817.pngimage.thumb.png.87f4a30c6d1a1f817a8458e2467316fb.png

• LIKE 2

14 minutes ago, BuckeyeGal said:

I find it interesting that the NAM is the least friendly, since it tends to over-amp. Hm.

It looks like the NAM is still snowing at hr 84, so that might not be the final total...

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Jaf316 said:

It looks like the NAM is still snowing at hr 84, so that might not be the final total...

Good catch. That was like yesterday with some of the model runs. I watched the 0Z ICON and thought it was crap, but as @Jenny pointed out, it was still a decent amount.. just prolonged. Looking forward to getting today's system out of there so we can hone in on what's going to happen.

10 minutes ago, BuckeyeGal said:

Good catch. That was like yesterday with some of the model runs. I watched the 0Z ICON and thought it was crap, but as @Jenny pointed out, it was still a decent amount.. just prolonged. Looking forward to getting today's system out of there so we can hone in on what's going to happen.

Yeah, getting cautiously excited about the prospects later this week. Good luck to everyone! 

In the meantime, enjoy the mood flakes this morning...

• SNOWMAN 2

I think I'm going to side with the ECM/GFS combo on this one, I haven't seen anything as of recent couple storms that leads me to believe the shorter range models have any better grip than the globals

Thinking a general 2-4'' with ratios right now 

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45
  • LIKE 1