January 18-20, 2024 | Ohio Valley Snow event

RobB

• Moderators

Some more snow reports.  I'll need to update these later today.

First the big winners in IN.

image.thumb.png.468c19daeb35ae3cf730ee1a46e5355b.png

OH winners so far.

image.thumb.png.1aee83f5a873aae54cd8a627ea67c8be.png

• THANKS 1

• Moderators

A pretty nice spread the wealth system for the OV.

I think @RobB should be our designated "thread starter" for the foreseeable future. 😜

image.thumb.png.c7c73bdd2690337b98406c3363b3debd.png

Edited by Hiramite
  • LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 1

Still snowing very lightly right now and it’s 6 degrees.

This was from family near Cleveland sent yesterday later afternoon (so it was still snowing)… doesn’t seem to jive with the map unless it was super localized.  

5 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

I think @RobB should be our designated "thread starter" for the foreseeable future.

1D935733-EE91-43B3-95BA-05D607402CE0.jpeg

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, BoroBuckeye said:

Still snowing very lightly right now and it’s 6 degrees.

This was from family near Cleveland sent yesterday later afternoon (so it was still snowing)… doesn’t seem to jive with the map unless it was super localized.  

I'm not a big fan of the Pivotal Snow Observation maps as I've seen discrepancies before.  I posted it to show overall coverage.        If you look at the preceding post you'll see amounts around a foot in the CLE metro area. 

Edited by Hiramite

1 minute ago, Hiramite said:

I'm not a big fan of the Pivotal Snow Observation maps as I seen discrepancies before.  I posted it to show overall coverage.   If you look at the preceding post you'll see amounts around a foot in the CLE metro area. 

I see that now!

What’s interesting is for me, 20 or so miles north of Columbus, we got 3.25 inches which is basically spot on with the map.

Thanks posting those!

• THUMBS UP 1

• Admin
25 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

I think @RobB should be our designated "thread starter" for the foreseeable future. 😜

Uh oh. I broke this suggestion already, lol. @RobB you get to make the one for the clipper-morphing-into-miller system that comes after next weekend's one that I posted, lol.

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 1

• Moderators

SREF post mortem, i.e., lets see how the SREF did this storm.  I only included sites that had a NOWData snow observation for Jan 18 & 19.  Below is the last SREF before the snow began and then the total snowfall for those two days.

Indy – 1.9......1.1

Detroit – 3.9......4.5    

Flint – 3.2......2.4

Toledo – 3.7......2.4  

Cleveland – 3.8.....7.1    

Youngstown Arpt. – 2.9.....4.2

Akron/Canton – 2.9.....3.3  

Columbus – 2.5....2.2  

Dayton (N&S) - 2.5/2.4....2.6 

Coving. (S Cincy)- 1.9.....4.1
Pittsburgh – 2.6....2.9

Definitely some busts in there, especially the Cincy area and CLE where the majority was the difficult to predict LES.  But for the most part, not too bad.

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1

1 minute ago, Hiramite said:

SREF post mortem, i.e., lets see how the SREF did this storm.  I only included sites that had a NOWData snow observation for Jan 18 & 19.  Below is the last SREF before the snow began and then the total snowfall for those two days.

Indy – 1.9......1.1

Detroit – 3.9......4.5    

Flint – 3.2......2.4

Toledo – 3.7......2.4  

Cleveland – 3.8.....7.1    

Youngstown Arpt. – 2.9.....4.2

Akron/Canton – 2.9.....3.3  

Columbus – 2.5....2.2  

Dayton (N&S) - 2.5/2.4....2.6 

Coving. (S Cincy)- 1.9.....4.1
Pittsburgh – 2.6....2.9

Definitely some busts in there, especially the Cincy area and CLE where the majority was the difficult to predict LES.  But for the most part, not too bad.

Not too shabby overall!

• THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, RobB said:

Not too shabby overall!

I doubt that I'll remember in the future, but is the Dayton North site at the Airport where they measure?

TIA....time for the game.  Go Lions (tomorrow).

• LIKE 1

18 hours ago, Chinook said:

My area got 1.5 - 2.0 with some light snow maybe enhanced with a few straggling clouds from Lake Huron. We got even some flakes while it was sunny (sort of.)

Here is a radar from earlier this evening, showing some storm reports near Cleveland. Currently, some storm reports have 3" - 12" near Cleveland

Here are my loops from earlier this month, with the largely stormy time we went through (not today). I archived the 500mb from just after the Nor'easter early in the month.

https://great-lakes-salsite.web.app/Jan_1_17_2024_250mb_loop.html
https://great-lakes-salsite.web.app/Jan_6_17_2024_surface_loop.html
https://great-lakes-salsite.web.app/Jan_8_17_2024_500mb_loop.html

cleveland area.jpg

I have GRLevel3 that I have been using since the early days. The storm reports are built in. The METAR things are a "placefile" you can load. I don't know if you care, but I could provide more information on that.

Picked up another 3" today at Snowshoe for a total of 14" since Thursday night. Wind chills were -20 to -25 and the summit was brutal. Once you got about 500 feet below the summit it wasn't too bad. Snow was gorgeous. Felt like skiing in a snow globe. No videos of skiing today. Was just too cold to try and hang on to the camera while skiing. @Blitz was a beast on the snow today. Youth beats beauty everyday apparently.... 

• LIKE 8
  • MELTING 1

On 1/20/2024 at 4:24 PM, Hiramite said:

I doubt that I'll remember in the future, but is the Dayton North site at the Airport where they measure?

TIA....time for the game.  Go Lions (tomorrow).

I only have now seen this. I believe it is Dayton International that these official numbers are from. 

• THANKS 1