January 18-20, 2024 | Ohio Valley Snow event

RobB

1 hour ago, beaver56 said:

It definitely seems we are in a cycle for sure. It has been since 13-14 since we have had a good blanket of consistency in snow events. The decieving part about is if you look at official snowfall per season at various places a lot of times it looks way better than it was because of all the really small amounts added up.  I can't remember the 6 inch event we had in our area. 

Well, I know it's been at least 8 years since we've had an area-wide 6-incher -- because that's how long I've lived here, and I haven't seen one.  (Is it my fault...?)

• DISAPPOINTED 1

5 minutes ago, Jaf316 said:

Well, I know it's been at least 8 years since we've had an area-wide 6-incher -- because that's how long I've lived here, and I haven't seen one.  (Is it my fault...?)

Going on 9 years for Columbus/Franklin Co. Last storm to bring widespread 6" to us was 3/1/15.

• LIKE 1

25 minutes ago, Jaf316 said:

😆 

I don't think so. 

I think we may have about 2.5 here which lines up with obs that @RobB posted. It’s not the biggest snow by any stretch but for the first real snow of the season it’s nice at least and I’ll take it. Hadn’t had more than a dusting before this. 
hopefully this won’t be the biggest snow of the season. 

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

31 minutes ago, OSUWx2 said:

Going on 9 years for Columbus/Franklin Co. Last storm to bring widespread 6" to us was 3/1/15.

Wow, didn't realize it was that long ago.  I recall Jan 2019, when we were supposed to get a foot and got 3" due to WAA, and Christmas Day/evening 2020 was maybe 4"-5".   Also the sleet fest from Feb 2022 which was interesting.    The last big one that I recall was Feb 2010, and before that of course March 2008

• THUMBS UP 1

6 minutes ago, Snow____ said:

I think we may have about 2.5 here which lines up with obs that @RobB posted. It’s not the biggest snow by any stretch but for the first real snow of the season it’s nice at least and I’ll take it. Hadn’t had more than a dusting before this. 
hopefully this won’t be the biggest snow of the season. 

Same here. Nice little event that got me a work snow day. Turned breezy with some blowing snow now. Chilly out. 

• Moderators

I managed to hit the 2” at 2:30 with on and off very light snow.  Some heavy bands of LES hitting the CLE metro area now.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

48 minutes ago, RobB said:

Waterford at 24.5 !

image.thumb.png.31be971491d46fe562c531c0619f7063.png

There's multiple reports of 24-27" from LaPorte county.  Really wonder if somebody can break 40" before it's done.  I remember some 24-30"+ events off of southern Lake Michigan, but can't remember a 40 incher, especially in this short of a timeframe.

• WOW 1

10 minutes ago, adurb44 said:

That's insane to me.

Yeah. Our climate/location historically doesn't bode well for us for big storms, but we're in a long drought with all of our neighbors (Indy, Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, KY, WV) cashing on big storms more recently than us.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

There's multiple reports of 24-27" from LaPorte county.  Really wonder if somebody can break 40" before it's done.  I remember some 24-30"+ events off of southern Lake Michigan, but can't remember a 40 incher, especially in this short of a timeframe.

Yeah, there have been a few 30"+, but the most I'm aware of in one event is the 38.6" that South Bend got in early January 2011.

2 minutes ago, OSUWx2 said:

Radar is blank but is moderately snowing and accumulating. 

Same in kilbourne. Very lovely out. Probably received close to an inch in the last couple of hours. Super fluffy. 

4 minutes ago, OSUWx2 said:

Radar is blank but is moderately snowing and accumulating. 

1 minute ago, Jeffro said:

Same in kilbourne. Very lovely out. Probably received close to an inch in the last couple of hours. Super fluffy. 

Just switched to the Columbus airport radar, and it’s showing up very obviously now. 

IMG_3963.png