January 18-20, 2024 | Ohio Valley Snow event

RobB

23 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Don't bother looking at the RAP unless you live in the I-80 corridor

Luckily it’s still long range for rap 🤞🏻

1 hour ago, Indygirl said:

Mannnn I was hoping beyond hope for this event to start Friday night into Saturday ….NOT be Thursday into Friday event! 

Counterpoint:  IND is at 3.1" for the season so you accept the snow whenever it comes.

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 3

Not sure how much to expect here as it partially depends on how much tonight's fronto band produces, and there are lingering uncertainties on exact placement of that.  All told, could pick up several inches by Friday if things go right.  Unfortunately, looks like the lake effect will generally be to my east.  I expect a firehose and potentially crippling band off of southern Lake Michigan on Friday into Saturday.  

• LIKE 1

• Admin
Just now, FortySixAnd32 said:

Heading to Snowshoe, WV on Friday for a ski trip. Anyone have thoughts on the best time to leave. It's a 5 hour drive and we can't get into our room until 5pm. 

Because of the hills.. can you go halfway Thursday night? Stay somewhere?

• LIKE 1

27 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Not sure how much to expect here as it partially depends on how much tonight's fronto band produces, and there are lingering uncertainties on exact placement of that.  All told, could pick up several inches by Friday if things go right.  Unfortunately, looks like the lake effect will generally be to my east.  I expect a firehose and potentially crippling band off of southern Lake Michigan on Friday into Saturday.  

Some of the modeling output on that band has been crazy looking, Would probably be even bigger had the lakes not gotten slightly locked up this week, the winds helped them from a much larger lock up

• LIKE 1

54 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Some of the modeling output on that band has been crazy looking, Would probably be even bigger had the lakes not gotten slightly locked up this week, the winds helped them from a much larger lock up

I don't think there's ice anywhere on Lake Michigan right now.  But even if there was, Lake Michigan is just different than, say, Lake Erie in that there's still plenty of open water even in a cold winter.  I've seen LES events dump 1-2 feet in northern Indiana even with ice around the southern end of the lake.  

• LIKE 1

• Moderators

Well, it's certainly not the Perfect Storm, but its something.  With the cold temps, snow to liquid ratios will be higher than the 10:1 SREF maps on Pivotal so here we go.......... the 21z SREF UPDATE:

Total snow as of 06z 1-21-24.

The plots can be found here. https://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/srefplumes/?SID=CLE   This link is for Cleveland, click on the blue dot nearest to where you live. The tighter the grouping of the individual members, the more confidence in the forecast. (Want your town added below??...just let me know.)

21Z SREF update.(includes 15Z, 21Z, 3Z, 9Z)     

Indy – 1.3/1.1/x/x   Valparaiso IN – 5.9/6.7/x/x   

Detroit – 3.4/4.4/x/x     Flint – 3.3/3.7/x/x

Toledo – 2.8/3.3/x/x   Findlay – 3.3/3.1/x/x

Cleveland – 4.1/4.7/x/x     Youngstown Arpt. – 3.7/4.0/x/x

Akron/Canton – 3.1/2.8/x/x   Marion – 3.2/2.8/x/x 

Mt. Vernon/ NW Newark – 2.6/2.5/x/x    Z-ville – 2.1/2.2/x/x

Columbus – 2.0/2.1/x/x   Dover/New Philly – 2.6/2.5/x/x

Dayton(N)- 1.7/1.6/x/x     Dayton(S)- 1.5/1.4/x/x

Hamilton (N.Cincy)- 1.1/1.0/x/x   Coving. (S Cincy)- 0.8/0.8/x/x 

Sidney OH – 2.5/2.4/x/x       Pittsburgh – 2.7/2.4/x/x

Edited by Hiramite
  • LIKE 5
  • TROPHY 2
  • LOVE 1

4 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

Well, it's certainly not the Perfect Storm, but its something.  With the cold temps, snow to liquid ratios will be higher than the 10:1 SREF maps on Pivotal so here we go.......... the 21z SREF UPDATE:

But first, does anyone use Sidney, OH???

The plots can be found here. https://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/srefplumes/?SID=CLE   This link is for Cleveland, click on the blue dot nearest to where you live. The tighter the grouping of the individual members, the more confidence in the forecast. (Want your town added below??...just let me know.)

21Z SREF update.(includes 15Z, 21Z, 3Z, 9Z)     

Indy – 1.3/1.1/x/x   Valparaiso IN – 5.9/6.7/x/x   

Detroit – 3.4/4.4/x/x     Flint – 3.3/3.7/x/x

Toledo – 2.8/3.3/x/x   Findlay – 3.3/3.1/x/x

Cleveland – 4.1/4.7/x/x     Youngstown Arpt. – 3.7/4.0/x/x

Akron/Canton – 3.1/2.8/x/x   Marion – 3.2/2.8/x/x 

Mt. Vernon/ NW Newark – 2.6/2.5/x/x    Z-ville – 2.1/2.2/x/x

Columbus – 2.0/2.1/x/x   Dover/New Philly – 2.6/2.5/x/x

Dayton(N)- 1.7/1.6/x/x     Dayton(S)- 1.5/1.4/x/x

Hamilton (N.Cincy)- 1.1/1.0/x/x   Coving. (S Cincy)- 0.8/0.8/x/x 

Pittsburgh – 2.7/2.4/x/x

I can say winter is truly here when I see these!  Thanks for posting!

• LOVE 1